Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have had many dozen's of hunting rifles over the last 35 years ( more than i can recall) and now I only buy rifles that have carbon wrapped barrels, I like the lightweight. A carbon wrapped barrel cools down 3x faster than a solid steel barrel does and that cut's my range time way down....Do I "need" my rifle to have a carbon wrapped barrel? No, but when is buying a new hunting rifle for loony's like us about "need".....good shooting...Hb

Have you actually weighed two barrels yourself and seen how many ounces you are “saving” going CF?

What about taking actual temps inside the bore…where the rubber meets to road?

Just curious…

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by joshf303
I have had many dozen's of hunting rifles over the last 35 years ( more than i can recall) and now I only buy rifles that have carbon wrapped barrels, I like the lightweight. A carbon wrapped barrel cools down 3x faster than a solid steel barrel does and that cut's my range time way down....Do I "need" my rifle to have a carbon wrapped barrel? No, but when is buying a new hunting rifle for loony's like us about "need".....good shooting...Hb

Have you actually weighed two barrels yourself and seen how many ounces you are “saving” going CF?

Just curious…

In my experience you won't save weight by going with a CF barrel... Might add a couple of ounces. But it is the trendy thing to do and if it makes you happy go for it. I think they look good and in some cases shoot really well. I'm not convinced they shoot better than a quality steel barrel put together by a reputable gunsmith. I've had two CF barrels put on and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just curious…

This^^^
Carbon fiber traps the heat...

just because you can't feel it on the surface doesn't mean it magically disappeared

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by irfubar

Just curious…

This^^^

just because you can't feel it on the surface doesn't mean it magically disappeared

So you mean…it’s a buncha marketing bullschit…again?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just curious…

This^^^

So you mean…it’s a buncha marketing bullschit…again?

Yep.... to me the main purpose would be in a suppressed application it looks better... wink

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m toying with the idea of re-barreling my 270
WSM with a fast twist carbon wrapped barrel. I have tons of components and the Bansner stock on it has a huge barrel channel already.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V

Just curious…
I have never weighed individual barrels but I have weighed factory rifles for what thats worth. I had a Christensen Mesa FFT vs a Christensen Ridgeline FFT on the scales and the 20" carbon barrel Ridgeline FFT weighed 5.5 ounces less than the 20" lightweight barrel Mesa FFT. As far as conducting temperature tests on the inside of fired barrels sorry i have not, but i think it would make an interesting experiment. I base my faster cool down for the carbon wrapped barrels opinion on practical experience at the range and from a discussion i had with a Proof Reasearch CS guy, he claimed that proof research carbon wrapped barrels cool down 300% faster than conventional steel barrels do and i have no reason to dispute this claim as I have found I only need to wait 3-4 minutes between shots to hold tight groups when shooting one of my carbon wrapped barrel rifles vs i need to wait 8-10 minutes between shots when im shooting my Kimber Montana's or Tikka T3x Superlite rifles or groups will open up in a hurry. The Accuracy between a good steel barrel rifle vs a carbon wrapped barrel rifle in my range time has been equal, but the carbon barrels will shorten your range time significantly when your shooting for tight groups
......Hb

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I can’t imagine waiting 3-4 minutes between shots much less 8-10 minutes. My groups probably aren’t as good though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pump the rounds through your so called fast cooling carbon barrel and burn out the steel liner in no time.... at three times the replacement cost? no thanks
I would only consider it for something like a 308 that has long barrel life

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah im a 308 Win man, never even considered a 6.5 CM 😁......Hb

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just love this picture....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah im a 308 Win man, never even considered a 6.5 CM 😁......Hb

Wise man.... wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The outright Bullschit,that some think is "true",is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I just love this picture....

Dang what happened there? The carbon fiber wrap get cut somehow?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I can’t imagine waiting 3-4 minutes between shots much less 8-10 minutes. My groups probably aren’t as good though.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It almost shoots Improved Cylinder. Almost! I've had well over 100 Custom spouts and never one that shot that schitty. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pump the rounds through your so called fast cooling carbon barrel and burn out the steel liner in no time.... at three times the replacement cost? no thanks
I would only consider it for something like a 308 that has long barrel life
If CF does cool faster, it ought to show up as at least marginally better barrel life. It's heat that kills barrels.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RHutch
Boomers gonna BOOM! Lol

But I agree. To make weight, Drop a contour and hold the carbon.

Or maybe just flute it... to maintain rigidity.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've nothing against them. Nothing for them either.

For me, the best use is to fit a stock that already has an uber-big channel that I don't want "as much" weight as a varmint/sendero steel would have.

After using one, I learned if overall light weight is what you want, you want light contour steel. 20" carbon to 22" #1 (with a smaller bore) saved about 1/2 a pound.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,600
Posts18,473,550
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.