-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
I'm doing a custom rifle project, and am looking for a stock maker. It is a #1 in 7mm stw. But I want to do a one piece stock.

Any recommendations ??

Last edited by widgeon97146; 11/08/07.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is that tie-dyed with a dove engraved on it? (sorry, couldn't resist)

"To study without a book is to sail an uncharted sea, While to study only from books is not to go to sea at all" Sir William Osler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Love dove, man.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
How does one do a one piece stock on a #1?

.....just leave the forend off?

W
OP Offline
W
My hope is, to bolt the but stock in place as you normally would and then use a longer Lever Pivot Pin, to mount the stock to the action. That way I could free float the entire barrel.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by widgeon97146
My hope is, to bolt the but stock in place as you normally would and then use a longer Lever Pivot Pin, to mount the stock to the action. That way I could free float the entire barrel.

Been a while since I messed with a #1, but I'm having a very hard time picturing what you are talking about! Do you own a #1?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. widgeon97146:
I am most assuredly not a gunwriter, nor do I have the experience with #1�s that some here have, nonetheless if I can be allowed, I�ll take a swing at your query.

If you are looking to free float a #1 forend, it can be done without making the stock a one piece unit, as said forend bolts onto the mainspring hanger that is under the barrel.

One can simply use the abrasive of choice to remove any contact to the barrel the forend has. I�ve usually had good results when I removed contact with the receiver as well, but naturally,YMMV.

If you are looking for the cosmetic look of a one piece stock, I�d think a decent stockmaker could make a new, albeit slightly rotund looking forend that covers the action on both sides. I�ve made a few stocks, including single shot forends as well as currently having an �82 vintage # 1, so I can envision this as a possibility. The result would not be to my taste esthetically, but it should be within the realm of possibility.

If you search in the single shot portion of this fine forum, you can see some of the other possibilities with #1�s. For instance, Mr. catinthehat, has a rather exotic looking target style #1 that may be what you are searching for.

Hope this is some use to you. All the best in your rifle build.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
OP Offline
W
Thank you very much for the reply "BC30cal", I would very much like to see a photo of Mr. Catinthehat #1. That might be just what I am looking for.

When you free floated your forend, how did the hammer spring vibration affect your accuracy, and also did you use one of Brownell's accurizer's ?

I recently purchased a #1 chambered in 338, my plan is to custom build a 7mm STW, using the action off of my #1. I will be using a Krieger heavy Palma barrel, with a Holland muzzle break.

For a stock, I am looking for a Varmint/Target style. As I will have a fairly thick barrel, I may be parking up the wrong tree looking for a one piece stock. As you pointed out, it may be a little to "rotund" for my liking.

Steve.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. widgeon97146:

You are welcome for the reply. Hopefully it gives you some ideas. To my mind, this exemplifies the purpose of this forum. Kudos out to Mr. Rick Bin!

If you go to the �Single Shot� section here on the 'fire, then go onto the �Single Shot picture thread�, on the first page is a picture of Mr. catinthehat�s custom target #1. It is in the midst of many pictures of his fine single shots, so you�ll have to look for it, but I promise, you�ll know it when you see it. A couple posts down from the photos, Mr. catinthehat gives the details of the modifications made to that particular rifle.

Again, I hope this helps and of course all the best luck to you in your rifle build.

Regards
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 50 invisible), 3,265 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,293
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.