Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Why would they not swim ? They can. But probably crossed bridges in preference. They are opportunists and establish themselves wherever.

They weren't "native to Alaska" either, but apparently followed the Alcan up after it's construction. Or so I've been told.

Last edited by las; 12/04/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
They are native to Texas, Colorado etc. How did we get them here in N. Carolina, and Georgia? I can see them going east through Louisiana, to Baton Rouge. At that point, did they swim the Mississippi, or what?
Why would they swim?

Are they gonna cross the I 10 bridge? That mother****r is 2 miles long!
I ran that bridge over 650 times in the big rig, but I never saw any coyotes on it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
With numbers there is nothing they won’t attack.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Someone built bridges across the rivers, simonkenton7, that's how the rest of the country gets armadillos, too.
When I grew up in N/C Missouri, armadillos were something they had in Texas, and maybe Oklahoma, but never as far north as we were. Now I see dead armadillos every time I drive out to Missouri to visit family. Every time.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They are native to Texas, Colorado etc. How did we get them here in N. Carolina, and Georgia? I can see them going east through Louisiana, to Baton Rouge. At that point, did they swim the Mississippi, or what?
Why would they swim?

I ran that bridge over 650 times in the big rig, but I never saw any coyotes on it.
Maybe. Maybe a railroad bridge.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Armadillos can cross a small creek, by holding their breath and walking across on the bottom of the creek. Interesting little guys.
I don't think that would work on the Mississippi at Baton Rouge.

By the way, driving out west in Texas, good God did I see lots of dead armadillos on the interstates. Lots of dead coyotes too.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Why would they swim?

Were you there 24/7/365 over decades? Is that the only bridge? How long does it take a coyote to trot 2 miles - 20 minutes? Less? Not to mention if caught on the bridge and they go into streak mode. What makes you think they didn't establish from farther north, after crossing the Miss? Perhaps in winter, on ice? This is of course speculative- we will never know.

I've seen videos of mt lion and leopards crossing bridgesinto residential areas, in the dead of night, and leaving again, and no one knew until they were caught on night cameras. You think coyotes are not as adventuresomeas these putatively more shy cats?

Did some quick research:

The coyote is a newcomer to Alaska. Coyotes were first noted in the state shortly after the turn of the 20th century. Populations were first reported on the mainland of Southeast Alaska and then slowly expanded northward into the upper Tanana Valley from which they radiated in all directions.

There are some serious mountain ranges and rivers (with and without bridges to cross) on this dispersion view. Working their way north along the Alcan to populate Interior by the 60/70's is speculatively more likely. IMO.

DNA study showed the Kenai Penninsula was initally repopulated by wolves from a single pregnant female. Think coyotes can't do the same?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Damn things are in eastern nc .I can step outside at night and here them calling most winter nights,my daughter lives in Cary and told me she saw one while hiking around the lake at the apartment complex last week

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
(Alaska) Department biologists do not keep track of coyote numbers, but Fairbanks-area trapper Randy Zarnke said coyotes began showing up on his trapline trails three or four years ago.

"Now, all I have left is coyotes," he said. "Not sure if they ate all the other fur-bearers or just chased them away."

Coyote pelts fetch less money than marten or lynx, Zarnke said, so he does not try to trap them. He'd like to remove them from his trapping grounds because they've eaten foxes from his snares in each of the last three seasons. But he finds coyotes difficult to trap.

"I used to think foxes were smart until I ran into wolves," he said. "Then, I thought wolves were smart until I ran into coyotes."

The adaptable creatures have been among the first large animals back into areas people have settled, wrote Donald Cornelius in Fish and Game's Wildlife Notebook Series entry on the coyote.

"The elimination or reduction of wolves from many areas of North America, coupled with land and clearing activities, have contributed to this range extension," he wrote.

Based on reports from more than 100 years ago, biologists figure coyotes were first on the mainland of Southeast Alaska and then migrated northward into the upper Tanana Valley. From here, they spread all over Alaska, with the highest numbers on the Kenai Peninsula and in the Matanuska, Susitna and Copper River valleys. Few people have reported seeing coyotes north of the Yukon River.

In areas without wolves, which eat coyotes and keep their numbers down, the dog-like creatures with pointy ears and snouts are just about everywhere. People have seen coyotes in all five boroughs of New York City, and in Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle and every major city in North America. Maybe it shouldn't be surprising we share our vast acreage with them.

Since the late 1970s, the University of Alaska Fairbanks' Geophysical Institute has provided this column free in cooperation with the UAF research community. Ned Rozell is a science writer for the Geophysical Institute.

Ned Rozell
Ned Rozell is a science writer with the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by LNF150

hell ya.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only two things left on earth at the end of time will be a coyote and a mesquite tree.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut
State sponsored $25/head bounty here

wake up dumm azz newsome

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/coyote-attacks-toddler-in-woodland-hills/
the state bounty is $50. It’s stupid and mainly to appease don peay and the SFW. Coyotes get blamed for way more than they do. A few years ago there was an attack at the kennecott guard shack. Only 5 miles from me. Look that up tikka,
Kennecott coyote attack

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Fuggin idiot tree huggin' liberals
We kill them yr.round here in texas,there is no season,no bounty.We could use one on both these vermin.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Quoted from. Above.
When those Dipschitts pretty much killed fur trapping by driving the prices down to rock bottom in the 80’s,
it allowed a population explosion of Coyotes that will never be contained or controlled again.

This is partially true, but the expansion of leased deer hunting and the “dont allow other hunting” and the expansion of the deer herd helped too

Last edited by IA_fog; 12/04/22.

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Good shooting Tikka.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fox hunters were importing them from Texas decades ago to give their hounds something else to chase. Coyotes tended to displace the red foxes that were here. Probably happened in other states too. That might explain the crossing of the Mississippi River.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Should be a bounty on Coyotes everywhere, but the Tree Huggers and PETA would throw a fit.

When those Dipschitts pretty much killed fur trapping by driving the prices down to rock bottom in the 80’s,
it allowed a population explosion of Coyotes that will never be contained or controlled again.

Coyotes are probably the most adaptive predators in North America. They survive and thrive in the big cities today like LA and even NYC.

Unfortunately, it never seems to happen to a tree huggers kids. 😜

It's done the same for racoons. We have way too many of them in my neck of the woods.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
State sponsored $25/head bounty here

wake up dumm azz newsome

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/coyote-attacks-toddler-in-woodland-hills/

Damn I wish they had it here as I would have racked up a pile of cash. Locally we had a annual coyote contest partially funded by OHA the other part by a local gun shop. Your name went in the hat once per coyote tail turned in and I put a employee’s name in for each tail until I had grandkids. The oldest granddaughter won a 22-250 Four years ago which the shop owner allowed me to swap for a .223 instead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prolly get arrested if they shot it.

Think I need a crossbow.
This... Not allowed to defend yourself from man or beast in these parts.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,717
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.