Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People should learn how to deal with outages, whether temporary or possibly long term outages because it sure seems like its a simple thing to take out infrastructure.
I have 2 generators, but wonder what problems searching for fuel could entail?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Two substations were targeted at the same time, and disabled by gunfire? There is either a lot more to this story, or it is bullshiit.

I read that one of them was shot three times, still waiting for the explanation of how three bullets can take down a substation for days. Like you said, it doesn't add up.

Very easily done as has been clearly demonstrated.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Two substations were targeted at the same time, and disabled by gunfire? There is either a lot more to this story, or it is bullshiit.

I read that one of them was shot three times, still waiting for the explanation of how three bullets can take down a substation for days. Like you said, it doesn't add up.

Where has it been "clearly demonstrated"?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Well, we don’t have all the answers and government credibility is an issue, but perhaps this was demonstrated recently in Moore County, North Carolina.

Time will tell…. But “three bullets” and millions of dollars damage….?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Lots of ways to cause trouble even for us who aren't in the business. Bullet to short a transformer. 50 years ago transmission towers were dynamited.
Chain a valve between tank cars of chlorine came from a fireman friend.
Brother installed lots of bullet proof glass in power
stations, water plants, guard shacks. Pretty much secretly.

Modern right thinking gives precedent to things like the drag show.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
COLODOG " ... looting is a concern so there is a curfew. ..."

Curfews are just for the honest people. The bandits and freebooters couldn't care less.

A .45 ACP and a 12 Ga. can dissuade them. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not the first time somebody shot out the lights.

"The attack began just before 1 a.m. on April 16 last year, when someone slipped into an underground vault not far from a busy freeway and cut telephone cables.

"Within half an hour, snipers opened fire on a nearby electrical substation. Shooting for 19 minutes, they surgically knocked out 17 giant transformers that funnel power to Silicon Valley. A minute before a police car arrived, the shooters disappeared into the night.

"To avoid a blackout, electric-grid officials rerouted power around the site and asked power plants in Silicon Valley to produce more electricity. But it took utility workers 27 days to make repairs and bring the substation back to life."

Apologies for an NPR link to story

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TF49

Well, we don’t have all the answers and government credibility is an issue, but perhaps this was demonstrated recently in Moore County, North Carolina.

Yeah I hear you, that's what I meant by "clearly demonstrated". Nothing clear about it at this point.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Wouldn't it be simpler to just kneecap the drag q u e e r s and not mess with the power grid?
think Goebbels and you'll be on the right track.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Feds have known of this weakness for a LONG time. power companies pay lip service to .gov concerns , but don't really prepare for bad actors/events. JIT is great in academic theory and corporation boardrooms , not so much in reality.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have actually wondered why those wishing to stir up real trouble have not pursued such a route. Thousands of untended facilities out there.

Two generators, 5 yrs worth of firewood, an oil stove, Coleman camping equipment and a travel trailer we could move into when things became serious. Most city folks are screwed with an extended outage.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/05/22.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
. But “three bullets” and millions of dollars damage….?

if a rodent can put 1500 folks out of power

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rats-tysons-power-outage-caused-by-rodents/ar-AA12cKqp

just think what 3 bullets in the right location on transformers might do.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yeah I hear you, that's what I meant by "clearly demonstrated". Nothing clear about it at this point.

One way can be putting bullet holes in the case of the transformer - the cooling oil leaks out, the transformer gets hot and burns up. Another could be shooting out the top insulators causing phase to phase or phase to ground faults and burning up the transformers. There are other similar possibilities but most likely it is the first scenario since it was specifically noted that there were three bullet holes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This might have been similar to the Massive Power Outage in the town of Remote Oregon...
100%.... the one farm house and both the trailers in the trailer park have been without electricity since yesterday at noon.

someone cut the 100 ft extension cord, supplying the electrical grid to the town of Remote...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
I have actually wondered why those wishing to stir up real trouble have not pursued such a route. Thousands of untended facilities out there.

Two generators, 5 yrs worth of firewood, an oil stove, Coleman camping equipment and a travel trailer we could move into when things became serious. Most city folks are screwed with an extended outage.

Having worked around (not at) a few of those quite rural, and large, substation type facilities I've always been amazed they are primarily protected by a simple 6' chain link fence and a padlock. Not even a vehicle barrier. And some of those facilities would likely bring down a regional grid area and not just 40K homes if they were compromised.

But, we like our relatively inexpensive electricity, and municipal water, and sewage, etc.

I'm with you. While I don't have 5 years wood on site, there's a bit of it right nearby, even right here on my little spread. Generator for the well, enough food for a bit, and good neighbors.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once again the page one comments did not fail to disappoint. My side still hurts.

But, back on task....in the days of "long lead items" basically being everything, a couple of days is not bad for this type of outage.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I always wondered what would happen if someone was to take an RC airplane, fly it over a substation and drop a couple pounds of chaff over a transformer.

Though whacking an insulator with a bullet would be simplier/quicker...

What would a 700gr 50cal bullet do to a windmill blade? 🙄🤔😁

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
What would a 700gr 50cal bullet do to a windmill blade? 🙄🤔😁

Well ya see

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Wouldn't it be simpler to just kneecap the drag q u e e r s and not mess with the power grid?

If it turns out that it was against that drag queen show, then said "shooter" got his message across. Now, will the FBI round up some townspeople and execute them in reparations, or is it too soon to believe s hi t like that yet?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 20 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,050
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.