Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 1,842 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 1841 1842
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BD,

You've obviously kept the campfire burning while your "fearless leader" was off losing a jury trial (thankfully a relatively rare occurance).

If you were wanting a Sav 99 why didn't you say something. The "Vegetable Stand" has 4 or 5 of them ... IIRC one was a 250-3000. FWIW also saw a 250 at AA guns in Grand Rapids this summer.

Anyway ... off to "serious amateur" NoDak deer camp tomorrow. So here is a scenario:

Today Dad reported actually going out to the land to sight in his rifles after typical annual BAR type fixins. Saw a nice 4x4 laying the wood to a receptive doe. So I was thinking to myself ... Self, would that particular buck be better eating before or after he was done doing the dirty deed? On one hand he's all full of ruttin juice, hormones, piss and vineger. On the other, when he's done and smoking a marlboro/camel/whatever you'd be thinking that his meat is all relaxed on so many levels.

So I asked Doecamper, she figured that buck was no good cause he'd be wanting another throw like any self respecting buck (Self, here me Self). Asked her what she'd do ... said shoot the doe.

Shoot the doe?

Sure, he's all hot an bothered and that b!^@# is probably bleeting ...

bayyyyyyyyyy-geie, I think I'll paint the ceiling ....

She's right. Not a drop of hormones in that critter ...

FWIW,

GE

37 hrs 39 minutes to NoDak opener

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by big drift
Possibly could have done the ol sneak on him. Have had it happen before where they were grunting away and was able to get up on him and blam...sausage in the freezer

It would be cool to see the funky toed buck tho...

ground was too crunchy for this dude's sneak skills wink

i'll get back after it tonight. actually not really until friday morning but I'll be back out there tending the woodstove at camp iwannabuck tonight.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Not so great with my 88.

guys, I am doing the long walk of shame today. I've been hunting deer as much as possible since i got out of the marines in 94 which means every year for as many days in a season as I can afford to go. I guess that's not a real long time... but up till this year, this week to be more specific, I've never lost a deer. now I've always hunted with a win M70 in some config, or muzzle loader... but I've got this nice post 64 win 88 in .308 that I felt I needed to hunt with this year.

I lost a buck on sunday morning, very comfortable confident shot, made no sense, still makes no sense. now last night I lost a doe. slightly quartering away shot @ around 80 yds. I just got done shooting the rifle at home & it was dead on left to right & 1.5" high @ 100 yds.

I don't know what's going on, don't know if it's the rediculously long trigger pull (super crappy trigger) or? I don't know but I think I have to bench the 88 & grab one of my M70's for the weekend.

I'm thinkin it's time to unsheathe the reaper.. touch of death that is... 26" barrel, floated & glass bed M70 in 300 wby, FFII 3.5-10 50mm on weaver grand slam rings... 3# crisp trigger....

yeah i know it's overkill on whitetail.... but I need to build some confidence & everything I've taken with that rig has died very quickly.

plus, I'm starting to feel a little mean.

Something clever here.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gaviidae Esq,
That is so scary that you mentioned the "vegetable stand" for the savage 99's. Then I saw you were from bemidji, I can only assume you are talking about Arnies Guns near Shevlin or as my we call it "the gun and vegetable stand". Arnie is great and I seem to buy one or two guns from him a year and I sell some off occasionally. Nice old elderly couple.
His phone number is 218 758 2274 if any one is looking for one. The 99's he has are hunter grade so nothing exceptional, but they are reasonable at about $600 range (compared to cabela's...). Arnie is a 69 year old veteran and not real electronic savy so he may have to use his grand children to send pictures.
This may sound like a shamelss plug for Arnie, but now "the gun & vegatable stand" may become internet legend now!

Getting excited for second weekend hunting back home at Bagley... Shoot straight guys.

H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
grab that 300 wby. if that is what you are confident with use it. some times you just need to get back to the basics and go. the 300 should work, those roseau co bucks do get big though. I usually use a new gun every year, but always have the 'ole reliable in the truck if a run of luck such as yours should strike.

hang in there it happens. it makes it even tougher when you are out there by yourself with no one to help you track or watch the trail while you track. be glad it wasn't freaky toe.

use Betty Lou she is da one. a ak 57 triple barreld double scoped heat seekin' shotgun:)

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sorry to hear about the deer buddy! Fire up that .300 and go knock one of dem sumbitches on their a$$! crazy

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yep, it's time for the hammer of god.... how dead does dave like his deer? he likes them very dead. very, very dead.

might just bring the .450 marlin along for my close range stands.

but yeah, the 300 wby will come out to play for sure.

nothing says "I gotcha" like 4200 foot pounds of energy.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I imagine the neighboors know when that baby goes off too. You must be a glutton for punishment with the .300wby and the .450 marlin.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm a recoil pig.

I'd be lieing if i didn't admit a curiosity & admiration for the 30-378 wby.... something about a 180gr .30 that can do 3420 fps.... and dish out 4676 foot pounds.... just kind of grabs me by the boo-boo.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
the 30-378 should get the job done on those 60yd MN brush shots.

There is a guy that hunts deer by us in wi that uses a 375 h&h. you know when he shoots that is for sure. we used to bug him about it, but he says he uses it all spring for bear in canada and alaska and is just used to it.

what ever trips your trigger right. i have a thing for .358's not sure why, they're not fast, there is sexier cartriges, I just like 'em.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Not so great with my 88.

guys, I am doing the long walk of shame today.
plus, I'm starting to feel a little mean.

Wow!! Same ammo, right? Fusion?

That's just wierd. I'm sorry for you, and sorry for the deer!

Time to get out something that you KNOW works.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
what ever floats yer bote...

i just like things that go BOOOOOM!!!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i'm climbing the walls in here tom. i have tomorrow off, but it's not enough... thinking about bailing out early today....

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
a long lunch sounds like a great idea. go kill somthing, take a pic, and show us all... get that pole dirty dave. dirty it like heck...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah, long lunch, like from now till.... tuesday?

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm starting to feel sick.

oh no.....

i think i have the heebie-jeebies.... crap, i hear it's contagious.

i better get out of here before i give it to everybody.

nobody want's to be a typhoid Mary right?

no sir, not me...

it's for the good of my fellow workers, for the good of mankind.... I will hide out in the woods for a few days & see if I can find a cure.

dreaded heebie jeebies.... wow, and i haven't been to Puerto rico or Tijuana for ages....

I'll do what I have to in order to protect the health of my co-workers.

but where can i go?

ahh, I know a place... no power or running water but the human race will be safe from me...

i must go now.

maybe I'll take a gun along... for personal protection... or something...

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just told the boss that I would be a No call/ no show tomorrow grin and I wont be back till wednesday.

Im almost afraid to post on this thread. Dave you got some bad stink on you that ya need to shake off! frown Have you considered sacraficing some chickens or goats to Thor? grin

Remeber to enjoy the hunt and be safe.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Daaaaaaave, get a deer yet? get a deer yet? get a deer yet? get a deer yet? get a deer yet? I asked you 5 times Did you get a deer yet?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
were do I start?

first, the meatpole...

[Linked Image]

the kids decorated the meat pole.

One of my buddies came out & stayed at the shack with me on Thursday last week & brought his boy 12 years of age, new deer hunter. First year & no deer.

Well I put him in the ladder stand I set up for my wife, I went south & sat up in my uncles stand & my buddy sat in a home made stand in the south east corner of our property.

the boy shot a doe & a fawn out of thet ladder stand!!

then sat night the boy (my nephew) shot a little one out of a ground blind, then sunday morning I hear my daughters .243 ring out Booom!

I knew it was her from the direction the shot came from, she was set up about 1/4 mile from me, I had to get down & go check on her right away.

I stopped by the cabin on my route, got rid of some of my heavy clothes, grabbed a camera & headed for her stand. I met her walking towards me along the way, from a distance it was hard to read her... walking with her head down.... kind of mopeing along... then as she got closer she picks her head up & smiles "like heck" Oh boy was I happy to see that smile!!

she went to her stand all by herself, sat by herself & she got it done all alone. Very proud pop here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by northern_dave; 11/12/07. Reason: spelling

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I had a bit of a messed up weekend as far as my own hunting goes.

I set myself up towards the north end of my land, I'm real close to my property line but I am set up on my land & I'm in a tree facing my own land (my back to the adjoining property).

Well, aparently I have upset someone that hunts my neiboring property because I have a guy harrassing me, I'm in my stand Sat night & this dude comes crashing through the brush behind me on the neighboring property & starts setting up a stand less than 50 yds from me barely off my north line in a big jackpine. he takes 2 hours to set up a stand that I would have had up in 10 minutes... obviously dragging the job out to mess with me, very loud, clanking & banging, to & from the spot over & over... he finally gets up in the tree, he see's me, he's looking at me as he sets up.

He set his stand up so he's facing me, looking right at my back with a loaded rifle laying across his lap.

I'm thinking to myself, how & the hell do I handle this now?

he's in the south west corner of adjoining property, I own to the west of were he sits & to the south. the way he is sitting & the location he is sitting the only thing he can see is my land... he's stairing straight into a corner as far as the property lines go (which are clearly marked, he's well aware.)

so I stand up, turn around & face him, I yell over at him "hey neighbor..." he answers "yeah?" I ask him "which way are you shooting?" he answers "ummm, i guess north & east?" to which I quickly reply "oh, so you're left handed then.."

He answers "umm, no. It's just the only way the tree would let me set up.." I answered "huh, wierd!!"

turned around, sat down & tried to ignore him.

I wasn't going to let this ass bully me off my own land, I couldn't believe that someone would sacrifice there hunting time doing this, he obviously couldn't hunt like this, he couldn't see anything except my back & my property... I couldn't believe that he had actually sacrificed his hunt time which only comes around once a year, just to screw with me.

well he didn't sit till dark, he got down & walked back to the north east... I could hear him milling around to the north east of me about 1/8 mile away so just as it was getting to the last minute of legal shooting & I had seen nothing & could hear nothing coming in I shot one into the ground out in front of me on my own land just to make him think I got one anyways even after all his work.

The next day when I went to that stand he wasn't there (of course I like to get out there early) it was well within good shooting light hours when my daughter shot the doe pictured above & I got down to help her.

later that morning I returned to my stand & I am told by my nephew & my wife that they could hear him in that stand he put up to mess with me while I was gone. He wasn't there when I returned.

At around 9AM a decent doe came in for me, I took a shot at her & my shot was deflected by a stout jackpine branch that was between her & I.

damn it huh?

I broke the stick off after discovering what had went wrong... it has a nice 30 cal notch cut through the bottom side of it. I took it back to the shack & drilled a bunch of holes in one end & stuck some large feathers in it & we have it leaning in the corner, it is our new "shame stick" to be used when someone misses a deer, as in "shame on you".

shame on me this time.

it's only half time though folks, one more week to go in our rifle season.

Dave

Something clever here.

Page 22 of 1,842 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 62 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.