Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have always been an avid upland hunter. I have not cared in the past what I was shooting the birds with. Lately, I find myself really wanting to try a SxS shotgun. Preferably an older gun with some character. I know that there are ones to look for, ones to avoid, ect.

I want to find
Something that I can run modern ammo through, doesn't cost a fortune and can be repaired if needed. I'm not worried about anything fancy. Just a solid working man's gun that handles well and has good fit and finish.
Any suggestions? Maybe around $1000-$1600
As I'm sure you can tell from this post, I'm not well informed on older double guns. Heck, I don't even know if I can shoot one well or will actually like it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by RUM7; 12/04/22.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you want a solid newer shooter in that range, I would look for an SKB. If I wanted an older one that can still be worked on, an LC Smith would be on my radar. I know there are tons of others that would qualify in both categories, but both of these are solid and can be had in your price range and should not be too hard to find.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The sxs experience, if your going to do it take the plunge and be sure to find one with TWO triggers, once you learn you'll never understand why anyone would want a single trigger. The single trigger is the most problematic part of a sxs shotgun. Try and stay with a boxlock, sidelocks while elegant remove a lot of wood in the wrist area, heavier modern loads can be hard on old wood. Greener crossbolts make for great lock ups and tend not to shoot loose as easily, Merkel uses crossbolts in their lock up.

As far as modern ammo goes you don't need heavy loads to kill game. An ounce of 5s.and 6s have been more than adequate for wild pheasants and changing to bismuth the same load works well on waterfowl. A well fitted sxs seems to shave yards off the distance you have to shoot flushing birds.

There is nothing like walking out of the marsh with your game strap full and your sxs in hand.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L.C. Smith - if you can find what you want
Stevens - my grampa shot one for years. Not fancy, but a solid gun.
Browning - haven't seen one in years, have no idea what one would cost. Had a 20 gauge BSS once. Stupidly let it go. 😖

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a nice 16 gauge L.C. Smith I could be talked out of.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Find a smith that works on the old ones, they are harder to find than the guns are. Those folks will have some info on what you should look for, probably knows a couple clients that have some to check out.

Your price range is good for American 12 ga field models, most have 2 3/4” chambers after about 1920.

The stocks have more drop and cast than the modern stuff, and the wood is 100 years old. There are lots with small cracks in the wrist, and restocking them decreases the value.

I prefer to buy the restocked ones, modern geometry and new wood is more useful to me as a shooter. Better pricing too!
Good luck buying just one!

RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys,
I'll start doing some research on some of those suggestions.
Thinking that I can find something decent and reliable, get my toes wet with it. Then if I'm hooked, I can upgrade and still have something for my 12 yr old son to use in a few years. (He has a 870 pump that has a shortened stock right now, probably only work for 1 more season.) Really looking for a 20 gauge gun. I have about a dozen pumps and auto loaders, but variety is the spice of life right?

- Wabi-
RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
The sxs experience, if your going to do it take the plunge and be sure to find one with TWO triggers, once you learn you'll never understand why anyone would want a single trigger. The single trigger is the most problematic part of a sxs shotgun. Try and stay with a boxlock, sidelocks while elegant remove a lot of wood in the wrist area, heavier modern loads can be hard on old wood. Greener crossbolts make for great lock ups and tend not to shoot loose as easily, Merkel uses crossbolts in their lock up.

As far as modern ammo goes you don't need heavy loads to kill game. An ounce of 5s.and 6s have been more than adequate for wild pheasants and changing to bismuth the same load works well on waterfowl. A well fitted sxs seems to shave yards off the distance you have to shoot flushing birds.

There is nothing like walking out of the marsh with your game strap full and your sxs in hand.
This is interesting to me,
I just naturally gravitated towards a single trigger on my initial browsing on GunBroker. I guess because of familiarity?
How long does it take generally to adjust to the 2 triggers? Is the only advantage the ability to chose your choke independently on first shot?

- Wabi-
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RUM7
<SNIP> Lately, I find myself really wanting to try a SxS shotgun. Preferably an older gun with some character. I know that there are ones to look for, ones to avoid, ect.
I want to find Something that I can run modern ammo through, doesn't cost a fortune and can be repaired if needed. I'm not worried about anything fancy. Just a solid working man's gun that handles well and has good fit and finish. Any suggestions? Maybe around $1000-$1600 <SNIP> Thanks in advance

I get the part about older guns but when you mention using modern ammo, I wonder if you intend to shoot non-tox loads with steel shot? Given the fact that you're in CA, that might be likely?
If so, you might want to look at the 'Bobwhite' doubles being sold in this country by CZ-USA. They appear to be very well made guns, can handle steel shot and they come with a CZ factory warranty. CZ's operations here in this country are setup to offer service and parts, as well. The SxS Bobwhites that I've handled looked nice with very good fit and finish.

Sportsman's Warehouse has two models on sale right now for only $599 which seems like a really good deal. Here are links to those two models:
CZ Bobwhite CC Blued 12 Gauge 3in Side by Side Shotgun - 28in
CZ Bobwhite Case Colored Blued 20ga 3in Side by Side Shotgun - 28in
In looking at the SW website, they are showing the 20ga Bobwhite in stock at their store in Redding, CA. Good luck with your search!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have one, but am tempted by the F.A.I.R. Iside's. Several versions available, but base model looks like $1700 is the sale price right now for new. Made in Italy by one of the Rizzini offshoots. They get good reviews.

For older, Simson is often referred to as a Merkel in workclothes (or similar type analogy) and can often be bought for way cheaper than the equivalent Merkel. Depending on time of manufacture, often made in the same plant with just different stampings on them.

Double Triggers all the way. A round of skeet shot with it and it will be second nature to you.

You'll pay a premium to get the 20 over a 12 in an other than new gun.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Number 1, a SXS must fit you.

Number 2, a SXS must fit you.

Yes on double triggers.

Improved and modified.

A straight grip stock will tend to roll and your mount might be inconsistent.

Close your eyes and mount the gun. Open your eye and notice where you are looking. Example on a neutral stock I will be looking down the left barrel; therefore I need a little "cast off".

For twice the money you can get a really nice used SXS. Check out William Larken Moore's website.

Best wishes

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Tread lightly, the hole you are looking into is not dug cheaply. 🤣

Last edited by battue; 12/06/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And then dry mount it another 1000 times.

(SxS or not)

Last edited by battue; 12/05/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bump your budget up a tad and you will get into affordable English guns that can be found on

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

Charlie is a fantastic person and will help guide you to the best gun for you and won't have to settle for a LC Smith or Baker shotgun. There is nothing like a beautiful SXS to cap a day of hunting birds or shooting clays with one...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For me I do not like double triggers on my SxS or my over and unders and I don't understand the problematic argument either. I have a SKB 280E 20 gauge and a Winchester Model 23 12 gauge where both wear a single trigger that I shoot sporting clays with and I have never had an issue.

I would really look at older SKB SxS that were made in Japan. These shotguns are made like tanks and can take thousands of rounds without any issues and are in your price range.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I saw where you were looking on GB, Cabela's gun Library, Double Guns, Jaqua's, and Guns International are also good places to look. There are more places, but that is a start and a good sampling of price and condition

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another place to look is Simpsons Ltd, lots of dogs but there are some nice finds. Merkels, JP Sauers, Simmons, Husqvarnas. They will pull out a gun and look it over while you are asking questions about it. I made a swing through Galesberg a few years ago and the let me set up my equipment on a counter and kept bringing me shotguns off a list I brought in. I ended up taking five home with me. Well I took the barrels and they shipped the stock and receiver to my FFL it saved me money on shippiing.

Husqvarna 51
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 12/05/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Tread lightly, the whole you are looking into is not dug cheaply. 🤣

Truth !!! 🙄😏

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There’s no magic in a SxS. Get one that fits and you’ll shoot it well. Your budget will allow you to get a good one. Your money will go a LOT farther on the used market. A 12ga will get you more gun for the money. A small bore will run 50% more. IMO it is best to avoid the shortest and lightest guns that seem “quick”. A 28 inch 12ga will be plenty quick enough and will be much easier to shoot well.

A few that I like within your price range are Ithaca/SKB, Browning BSS, Ithaca NID, and the Fox Sterlingworth. I’ve also seen some quality Spanish guns in this range. Take your time and learn your way through the process and/or get expert advice. Budget some money to have chokes opened if necessary. Best wishes.

RUM7 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the great advise and recommendations.
I really do take all your expertise to heart and appreciate it. I'll be sure to fill you all in when I make a decision, right or wrong.
Thinking a SKB 280 with28" barrels or something similar may be what I'm after.

- Wabi-
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,462
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.