M
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I would have guessed more than 162" with that mass.

So where is he "lacking"?

Heavy bruiser for sure. Nice one!!👍👍

Does he get dinged for the dual brow tine on one side as an otherwise typical buck?
I don't ding. He has what he has, no deductions by me.

I don't understand what you're saying. You said 162" seemed short of expectations and asked where the buck might be lacking. What you do or do not ding has nothing to do with official scoring methods. I'm not familiar enough with scoring to say whether the dual brow tines on one side ended up being a deduction but offered it as a possible reason for pulling down the score a bit.
Yes that will deduct/ding but add that back in and I was seeing him pushing 180". Pics can be deceiving or he has all deductions in there.

Be nice to know if he has it as gross or net.

I guess it was a poor choice of wording on my part. I should have asked if net or gross and what the deductions measured up to/took away from.

Now I'm picking up what you're laying down.

Even after the mandatory 60 day drying period it should still stay above 160 and make the record book.

A buck that size shouldn't shrink much over an inch.
It's a damn nice buck but when did they lower the book minimum from 170?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Congrats, that's a genuine DANDY!

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by JeffA
Even after the mandatory 60 day drying period it should still stay above 160 and make the record book.

A buck that size shouldn't shrink much over an inch.
It's a damn nice buck but when did they lower the book minimum from 170?..mb

No changes I'm aware of.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm back home after a 2,600 mile round trip from Tallahassee, FL to NE Kansas, the land is owned by extended family, been in the family for three generations and growing. My FIL has hunted the land for decades but is a meat hunter and shoots the first legal deer he sees and calls it a day. We have a farmer who manages the land and grows corn and soy beans. The farmers son hunts the land and the adjoining land his father and inlaws own so it gets very little hunting pressure. I applied for a tag last year but didn't draw, was lucky to draw this year so planned the hunt. The farmer was kind enough to set out hay bails for blinds as I was only able to make one scouting trip this year. I studied the farm by photos/maps found online but there was only so much I could do as I really didn't want to get into the limited timber and run the deer off. My plan was to simple go with the flow opening day and plan from there. My FIL and his adult grandson were hunting too so I didn't have the place to myself. I really didn't know what kind of deer the land held so my goal was simply a representative mature Kansas buck (mature by age, not necessarily antler size).

Opening morning finds me looking at a timber line from three hay bails set with an opening in the middle for me to hunt from. Problem is you can't see anything from sitting so I stood as much as I could but didn't want to spook any deer. Shots were fired around 7:20 AM, FIL's grandson shoot three times with a 30-30 and connected on a very large doe. They weren't far away so I wasn't sure how it would impact deer movement near me.

Shortly after, I see a nice rack down by the tree line about 125 yards away, I say "rack" because with the rolling of the land, all I could see was his head. The buck looked to be a 140 class 8 pt and I would have been happy with him but he did not present a shot opportunity. While looking for him, the deer I killed came into view from the left. The bucks were not more than 20 yards apart but they were in the edge of the woods and presented no shot opportunities. I lost sight of both of them and tried to figure out what to do next. About this time a doe steps out and while watching her, the buck I shot comes into view from my left, he looks like a mature 8 from the side and there was not doubt I was going to shoot him first change I got. He took a few steps and I rested my rifle (my DIY Tenacity/Proof pre-fit/McMillan in 308) on the hay bale and let one fly. I was using a suppressor and I saw the hit through the scope. He absorbed the bullet, stood for a second, tilted his nose up and collapsed, not even a wiggle.

I watched for a bit but could not see him in the timber but knew he did not get up. I gathered myself and my gear, waited a few minutes and walked up to find him. About half was there, I could see his antler sticking up so I knew we were good. When I got to him I was gobsmacked, could not believe the mass of the antlers, I knew he as a good buck but the mass was simply incredible. I had shot a 145 in Canada years ago and this buck made him look small. I wasn't planning to mount another deer but there we no doubt when I saw this one. I connected via a family member and found a great taxidermist who was able to cape it out so I could take the antlers home and I'll take them back when he's ready in 8-10 months.

I had a doe tag to burn so I hunted a few more days and saw a few does here and there. On day three, first light, seven deer ran into the field, four of which were bucks. Two average 8s, one 4 pt and one ten I would have happily shot if I had a tag. Not huge but probably 130 class. Watched them til they mostly wandered off then shot a doe. Sat there a bit longer not wanting to bother my FIL as he was hunting a field over. While I was sitting, I saw "antlers" in the tree line, I noticed the rack first and got my binos on a heart stopper of a deer. Mature but younger 8 was looking over the field from cover and he was stunning. Not too wide but tall with dagger G2s and kickers. Probably a 150 class deer but stunning to look at, a real treat.

Overall I consider myself exceptionally lucky with a buck-of-a-lifetime and we all had a great trip. I plan to go back next year if I draw but I know I'll probably never kill anther deer like this and I'm ok with that.

Took the deer back to Kansas City at the in-laws and processed in their garage, CWD makes transport out of state difficult. I mix one Boston butt with one boned-out deer.

Last edited by 257Bob; 12/07/22.
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think it would do ok with 60 dry period but it was scored gross and it may have some deductions to take it under 160 net, not sure but will take a look.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats again on a successful hunt and a beautiful buck.

I've fished Atchinson State Fishing Lake and used to coyote hunt north of there years ago. Used to be lots of 'yotes up there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats, and thanks for all the info shared!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What county?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen

I've fished Atchinson State Fishing Lake and used to coyote hunt north of there years ago. Used to be lost of 'yotes up there.
Up towards Hiawatha?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've fished Atchinson State Fishing Lake and used to coyote hunt north of there years ago. Used to be lost of 'yotes up there.
Up towards Hiawatha?
That direction, but SE. More like Denton, in Doniphan County.

Good bit of WIHA around there.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Up towards Hiawatha?
That direction, but SE. More like Denton, Doniphan County.
Fine looking country in that area N of Atchison.

Our farm at Hiawatha has a lot of coyotes but the hound runners from up in Nebraska keep em wised up.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

We are just west of Highland, south of Hwy 36

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What county?
Brown

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
FIL was born in Atchinson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob
What county?
Brown
Got it. We have 300 acres just N of Hiawatha. Been in the family for 102 years this year.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What county?
Brown
Got it. We have 300 acres just N of Hiawatha. Been in the family for 102 years this year.
Nice! We have roughly 350 acres, very close to Robinson.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What county?
Brown
Nice! We have roughly 350 acres, very close to Robinson.
It's odd how much different the topography is where you are compared to right around us. You have a few more deep hollers and more timber.

I like the drive from 36 to Atchison down 7.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/07/22.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Amazing buck! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing with us.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What a stud,congrats.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What a great buck! Congrats, and great pics.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.