Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Well, being the owner of several carbon wrapped barrels, I say the only advantage is weight and they are not always lighter the steel, depending on the contour. However, newer shooters entering the field (and some older ones like me) like to shoot rifles with brakes and suppressors, you can't screw these things on thin tapered barrels and you need some threading and a bit of shoulder. For the Area 419 brake I use, it requires a shoulder of .750 for 5/8x24 threads. I had one steel barrel like that, a #4, and I didn't like carrying it around. These days, I use Proof pre-fits which are light enough and are ready for a suppressor. Steel barrels typically run about 1/2 the price of carbon wraps and that's "one" of the reasons competitors don't typically use carbon wrapped barrels, they burn out barrels and replace them often, hunters are one-and-done typically with barrel and "burn out".

I have a thread adapter on my M7 308win., the barrel is considered a #1 size and will accept a break/suppressor. < Just saying.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ol_mike
If I'm not mistaken EVERY single winning benchrest gun has a carbon fiber barrel. Old outdated stainless steel barrels can't compete with the super-cool barrels.
Only a fool would buy an all steel barrel.
Over...
From someone who has shot benchrest for over 30 years, I have never seen a carbon wrapped barrel used on a benchrest gun of any kind. And I'm talking competition from 50 yards to 1000 yards.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Boom!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Ringman
I have purchased two. The objective is less weight for a given outside diameter. .

MMMM, no.

Yes. The intent is to add stiffness to a very thin barrel, all in an effort to reduce weight. If you have enough attention span to make more than a one or two word reply, why don't you enlighten everyone what your belief is other than stiffening a light barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I thought it was done to stiffen the barrel without the weight of a heavier, stiffer steel barrel.

That's the idea. I have a magnum research 22 mag semi auto that is a delight to carry and shoot.
I always thought those looked like a fun rifle.

Greg they are a real hoot. So light it's hard to believe. If a guy grabbed it on the way out the door in a shtf scenario, you could do a lot worse.

LOL
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
If I'm not mistaken EVERY single winning benchrest gun has a carbon fiber barrel. Old outdated stainless steel barrels can't compete with the super-cool barrels.
Over...
From someone who has shot benchrest for over 30 years, I have never seen a carbon wrapped barrel used on a benchrest gun of any kind. And I'm talking competition from 50 yards to 1000 yards.

And I rarely see 24 pound bench rest guns used for elk and mule deer hunting. Must be some reason for this

Last edited by ribka; 12/08/22.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have purchased two. The objective is less weight for a given outside diameter. .

MMMM, no.

Yes. The intent is to add stiffness to a very thin barrel, all in an effort to reduce weight. If you have enough attention span to make more than a one or two word reply, why don't you enlighten everyone what your belief is other than stiffening a light barrel.

MMMM, no.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Over...
o h

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over...

You realize, don't you, some of us prefer to use ignorant prejudice?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Over...

And "some of us" make a career out of it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Over...

Thanks, retard.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Over...

Thanks, retard.

Point proven.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Over...

Thanks, retard.

Point proven.

Yes.

Ring man has been proving the same point for many years now.

He’s a fugking retard.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, badwolf, 257 mag, BABore, BDR1, 8 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,061
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.