Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MCMark
My Dad is interested in buying a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel.

Any experience with this rifle?
Any good/bad experiences with this cartridge?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From a Canadian perspective, you will probably find Hornady bullets easier to find here right now. You said on another thread that you were reloading for this and that your father was recoil shy. As the others have said, this cartridge works and is gentle on the shoulder.

A couple of suggestions. If you can, stick with the 100 to 120 grain bullets. Personally, I'm happy with the 120 gr. Sierras, but am always on the lookout for whatever is out there . I found the 140s to be a bit long, but you will know what works for you. Unfortunately, with the current supply shortages, you pretty much have to use what you can get. Higginson Powders is a good source. They are the Hornady distributor for Canada.

http://higginsonpowders.com/index.html

Normally, they have a good supply, but this business has been suffering with the same supply issues as everyone else. You can pick from their product menu, but it's best to email for availability. They accept credit cards and EMTs.

I have only used four bullets from mine. The Sierra 120 gr Pro Hunter, and three Hornady offerings. Two years ago, I managed a whitetail with the Sierra. A few coyotes with the 95 gr Hornadys. I am not using a CZ. I have a single shot TC Encore with a 24 inch barrel.

You might want to check in with Budget Shooter Supply as well. https://budgetshootersupply.ca They have good prices and sometimes will surprise you with what is in stock.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
My Dad is interested in buying a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel.

Any experience with this rifle?
Any good/bad experiences with this cartridge?

From a Canadian perspective, you will probably find Hornady bullets easier to find here right now. You said on another thread that you were reloading for this and that your father was recoil shy. As the others have said, this cartridge works and is gentle on the shoulder.

A couple of suggestions. If you can, stick with the 100 to 120 grain bullets. Personally, I'm happy with the 120 gr. Sierras, but am always on the lookout for whatever is out there . I found the 140s to be a bit long, but you will know what works for you. Unfortunately, with the current supply shortages, you pretty much have to use what you can get. Higginson Powders is a good source. They are the Hornady distributor for Canada.

http://higginsonpowders.com/index.html

Normally, they have a good supply, but this business has been suffering with the same supply issues as everyone else. You can pick from their product menu, but it's best to email for availability. They accept credit cards and EMTs.

I have only used four bullets from mine. The Sierra 120 gr Pro Hunter, and three Hornady offerings. Two years ago, I managed a whitetail with the Sierra. A few coyotes with the 95 gr Hornadys. I am not using a CZ. I have a single shot TC Encore with a 24 inch barrel.

You might want to check in with Budget Shooter Supply as well. https://budgetshootersupply.ca They have good prices and sometimes will surprise you with what is in stock.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the links. The prevous owner of the rifle had worked up a load using 120 gr. Nosler BT, see how those work?

Yeah, pretty much buy when you have the chance right now.

Proud Left hander!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Which is closely related to the 7.62x39 short Russian.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the links. The previous owner of the rifle had worked up a load using 120 gr. Nosler BT, see how those work?

Yeah, pretty much buy when you have the chance right now.

No problem. I cannot wait until these shortages are over. smile

Originally Posted by MarknMaggie
Which is closely related to the 7.62x39 short Russian.

You bet. I think the Grendel is an improvement on the 7.62x39 and fun to shoot!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cut down a Howa Mini for my 10 year old grandson, he has fired twice, taken two deer. 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in front of Benchmark. Does not slap him and he shoots it lights out. No tracking so far, not huge deer but for a slight build youngster it seems to be the perfect choice.

He wants to go shoot every time he can, and that I think is the operative reason to keep him using this rifle for the time being.

Ringer hooked me up with some 129 gr. ABLRs, they have been unobtanium for me but I now have a 100 to work with when the current production stash of BTs run out.

Last edited by worriedman; 12/19/22.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i would think the 120 bt at grendel velos would be the stuff. i have some factory loaded 120 bt,123 sst and 123 eldm to try out once my scope comes in for the CZ. if i handloaded i know what bullet i'd go with.....it'd be a 100 grain bt.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you could find the 100 gr BT! I looked for the 120’s for months before I found them! I wouldn’t mind trying the 100’s myself. Hunting at Texas hill country distances sure doesn’t require a ballistic coefficient!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I have a CZ 527 American chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I like it a lot. It’s a sample of one and the only round that I’ve shot in it is factory Hornady 123 SST. It isn’t a tack driver. Probably 1.5” five shot 100 yard groups are the norm. It’s a nice old school bolt rifle IMO. I was lucky enough to buy it shortly before the closeout and before prices went up. I wish that I had bought a few more in other chamberings.

I had the exact same experience with mine using the Hornady 123g SST's. Switched to Nolser 120g Ballistic Tip and it IS a tack driver. Shoots well under an inch with the Nosler ammo. My new shop will be finished out this spring and I'll put the virgin Star Line brass to use then. Gonna try the Speer 120g Gold Dots. I hear good stuff about those.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
So far this season I’m 3 for 3 on white tails with my CZ-527 6.5 Grendel. I hunt in south west Mississippi which lends to closer shots typically less than 100 yards. Each deer required only one shot, 2 had a short death dash of ~ 30 yards, 1 DRT collapsed in their track. The bullet exited on all three. No tracking required when that white belly is so easy to see from where you shot them at. I find it a joy to shoot, very effective and can’t imagine needing more gun for where and what I’m hunting. I highly recommend the CZ-527 6.5 Grendel combination for a pleasant, effective deer hunting combination. I can’t speak to using it on heavier game. I have been using it for 5 seasons now and can’t imagine needing more gun. I do occasionally use other rifles since I have them but keep coming back to the little CZ as my favorite hunting rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My daughter has taken several deer with her Howa Mini 6.5 and the Federal Fusion 120 grain factory ammo. No complaints at all.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (300s, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 43 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,010
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.