Print Thread
Hop To
B
BeanMan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I’m visiting Florida at the moment and their is a Space X launch scheduled tonight. I’m going since I’ve never seen on. Is it worth it to pay admission to the Kennedy Space center and ride their bus to a view point? Or, are their spots to view it that are good enough for a first (maybe only) launch view? Hopefully Rocky will chime in.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should be able to see it from almost anywhere, so depends on how up close you wanna be.
I saw one accidentally after coming in from a deep sea fishing trip in 2006/7. No idea how far away it was from us but easy to see the exhaust trail coming off it. I had to ask what it was, pretty neat experience, well worth not paying a penny to see.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
BeanMan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Per Rocky’s advice I’m going to view from Kennedy Space Center, it costs a few bucks but it’s a bucket list thing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, go to the Space Center for your first viewing. Used to live there and have seen many launches. The first shuttle launch ratted the windows in my house… from across the Indian River.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The tour gets you to just under four miles from the pad, which provides not only a good view, but it is close enough to get you liver rattled (really).

This launch includes a fairly rare return to launch site landing, so you'll get double your money's worth with the returning sonic booms and light show. If the sky is clear, you'll see it go up, separate, fire again to return, fire a third time to slow down on descent, and then fire a final time to land - with the booms arriving somewhere just before that.

I have witnessed something like 125 launches, and it NEVER got old.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rocky isn’t kidding about rattling your liver ! I still remember seeing the first night shuttle launch. I can’t remember the road we parked along to watch but it’s as close as you can get. It turned to daylight as it lifted off. The staccato booms as the shuttle engines were blasting against the launch pad was incredible. It really is something to experience. Hope you enjoy the launch.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The press site where I worked is three miles from the Shuttle pad. It was always a hoot to watch grizzled old "I've seen it all" reporters at their first launch. They 'd be broadcasting in their best FM voice - and then the sound arrived. They'd stop talking in mid-sentence, their jaws would drop, and they'd go bug-eyed. At that distance the GROUND moved during a shuttle launch.

I can't help marveling about how Spacex's upcoming Starship will sound. The Saturn V and the Shuttle both hit almost eight million pounds of thrust. Starship will produce THIRTY MILLION.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Your liver literally gets rattled along with all the other organs. Once the sound hits you the only thing I could liken to it was the old electric football games which would vibrate the little plastic players on the field when turned on.

It's loud but beats up your insides more than your ears. I've only been to one launch back in the 90's when Endeavour went up. It was pretty much out of sight when the sound hit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10Glocks, 160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,305
Posts18,526,062
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.