Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
What is this Save the file with a .reg extension — e.g., enable_tls.reg thing you talk of Swifty ??

kwg

That’s how you save a file to the registry i.e .reg instead of .doc or whatever.
Word of warning if you are uncomfortable messing around in the registry, don’t. It’s not for the faint of heart, one fugg up and your OS is toast, never to run again

Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I don't think that W10 will run on a 32-bit machine. AFAIK, the only two choices are to run it as-is or convert it to Linux. Conversion is vastly better.
Yes it does. I have it on an old machine running some software that won't run on a 64 bit machine.

Result from a search engine:

Windows 10 can run on both 32-bit and 64-bit processor architectures. If you have a computer with a 32-bit setup, you can upgrade to the 64-bit version without acquiring a new license.

No it’s not, the free upgrade ended. MS site now says download 30 day trial version after which it’s 139.00 for a license.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rge/7cf1d3fb-41b6-4fc5-9cbe-afed871b8a1d

Windows 10 is not free if you are running Windows 8 or earlier or your computer doesn't have a license installed at all.

Hello, although Windows 10 is not free, you can use most of the basic features for free on trial mode. You can make the media creation tool and install Windows 10 here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

When you see the option to enter the Licence key, you can click on skip for now.
Hope this helps, and let me know if you have further questions! :-)

Swifty

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
I'm still debating upgrading from XP. Hard pass for me.

Good Lord, I miss my XP machines.

('Course I miss DOS 3.2 too blush)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was a MicroLimp user since DOS 3.2, also. But I don't miss ANY of it one bit.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
If it wasn't for the error message this would all be done. I can't find the fix to the error message after searching google, other than paying for a monthly charge for driver updates. You would think it would be simple but I'm just not finding that fix. My guess is Microsoft wants you to go buy the Windows 10 disc for $139.

Rocky, I wish it were that easy. She can be stubborn and hard headed, especially when it comes to computers. It's the "old dog new trick" thing.

kwg

Here’s your fix.

Media Creation Tool Error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000 in Windows 7/8

Fix] Media Creation Tool Error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000

To resolve the Media Creation Tool Error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000 error on Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers, enable the TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 protocols. Follow these steps to do so:

Method 1: Enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 via the registry (Windows 7 & 8)

Make sure your system is fully updated.
Open Notepad.
Copy the following lines into Notepad.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp]
"DefaultSecureProtocols"=dword:00000a00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp]
"DefaultSecureProtocols"=dword:00000a00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client]
"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000
"Enabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client]
"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000
"Enabled"=dword:00000001
Save the file with a .reg extension — e.g., enable_tls.reg
Double-click the enable_tls.reg file to apply the settings into the registry. Click Yes when asked for confirmation.
If you’re using Windows 7, download the KB3140245 package (TLS 1.1/1.2 enablement update) from Microsoft and install it. This step may not be needed for Windows 8.
Restart Windows.
Download registry files: If you wish to download premade registry file(s), download enable-tls.zip. Unzip and run the enclosed file enable_tls.reg. To reverse/undo the setting to Windows 7/8 defaults, run the undo.reg registry file.

Method 2: Easy Fix (for Windows 7 only)

The above registry fix was created incorporating the suggestions in the Microsoft article titled Update to enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 as default secure protocols in WinHTTP

The article talks about the Microsoft Update with will enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 support via KB3140245 package. Here are the instructions:

Download the KB3140245 package. Don’t run it yet.
Download the “Easy Fix” executable via the above link (direct download) and run it. The fix will create the DefaultSecureProtocols registry value which is a prerequisite for the Microsoft update.
Now run the KB3140245 .msi package you downloaded in Step 1.
This automatically enables TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 on the computer.
Hello Swifty
I can copy this to notepad but what do I do with it after that ?? Is it supposed to go live or do I need to copy and paste it somewhere else ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DOS was fun. The one I really miss though is Vista, what a POS. That’s the machine I tried to load Linux on.
What a cluster that was.😳😳
Still got my XP and Win95/98 and 98SE machines out in the shop. Even got DOS and 95 on floppy. Guess you could call me a hoarder of sorts.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Changed from 8.1 to 10 last night, and it worked even for this mostly computer illiterate duff. I loaded all my files to my WD Elements external hard drive, then I loaded the free 10 from Windows' site, loaded back my files and photos and am now good to go with 10.

I don't see what all the fuss is about if even I could do it.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hello Swifty
I can copy this to notepad but what do I do with it after that ?? Is it supposed to go live or do I need to copy and paste it somewhere else ??

kwg

Save notepad file as .reg as suggested. Exit.

You need to open regedit. Type regedit into the search box. Once inside you have various options.

First back up the registry. I will point you here, suggest you print it out if possible.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ows-855140ad-e318-2a13-2829-d428a2ab0692

Now you can edit the registry. Which again I am going to point you to that will give better step by step, I am not great at tutorials.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/125696-export-import-registry-keys-windows.html

Basically what you do is double click that .reg file you created and follow the prompts in regedit.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Changed from 8.1 to 10 last night, and it worked even for this mostly computer illiterate duff. I loaded all my files to my WD Elements external hard drive, then I loaded the free 10 from Windows' site, loaded back my files and photos and am now good to go with 10.

I don't see what all the fuss is about if even I could do it.

Makes sense, I covered that.

Should add if you are running win8.0 you have to upgrade to 8.1 with SP1 installed. Win 8.0 has the wrong architecture so incompatible with 10.

👍

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good on ya, luv2. It can take courage to attempt stuff like that.

But now that you know you can do it, do consider trying Linux.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why fool with gobbledegook like this?

Throw out Windows and get an iMAC instead. When they want to upgrade the operating system, they tell you to leave the computer on overnight. Next morning it's done.

And it works.

And it's free.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Throw out Windows and get an iMAC instead. When they want to upgrade the operating system, they tell you to leave the computer on overnight. Next morning it's done.

And it works.

And it's free.

MAC machines are anything but free. $1,200-$1,500 is an awfully expensive "free".

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus, you're stuck within Apple's "walled garden" of software options, everything you add to the expensive machine is expensive, and when they choose to turn off your support, your machine is dead. (At least that's what I understand happens.) None of that is true with Linux.

If you like Mac stuff, that's fine. But it isn't all rainbow stew and free Bubble-up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

And it works.

And it's free.

MAC machines are anything but free. $1,200-$1,500 is an awfully expensive "free".

LMAO at indy, Apple iMac=licensed UNIX kernel. Linux = open source, free non licensed, modified UNIX kernel. Same Same in function.

Swifty
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did a clean install of Windows 8 from a disc last night. It took about 5 hours to get everything working except for the Windows 8 update. I did get Windows Defender to update. Something that hasn't happened for 10 years. I keep getting stuck with an error message. I'm at work so I can't tell you what the number is on that message. One suggestion from google was to delete file Cathoo2 which I did find and delete. I'd like to load Windows 8.1 just for the knowledge and practice but I might just go direct to 10. I will play with it some more after I get home.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry, kwg. I just can't understand why you'd stick with an obsolete, unsupported, defenseless, kludgy, resource-hungry, and frankly ugly operating system when there are so many vastly superior ones available - for free.

Like the 32-bit MX

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. Windows 8 update has been dead since 2016. Just like Win7 update is dead so it’s not surprising the links don’t work.
2. Updating to Windows 8.1 w/SP1 which you can still download is the easiest path to 10.
3. Don’t see the real advantage here other than knowledge, Windows 10 is dead May 2025. So you will be right back in the sh*t spot you are in now.
My Win7 now Win10 machine has 2 years left. Then it’s either off the net, or Linux. I can get Win11 to install but not really impressed. Lot of work for little gain.
If I really want Win11 I can buy an upgradable hardware wise laptop off Amazon for 239.00 with 11 installed, or bump up to ~400 bucks and not have to upgrade memory or SSD.
I really hate HP and Dell. But my 128 gig iPad works just fine for 95% and my old laptop works just dandy for the rest.

Rocky, I be getting bored. Got 5 different distros of Linux (64 bit) this time, and it’s time to play. Out.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Me too, Swifty. I can only lead the mule to the pond.

Just downloaded AntiX and may keep it on a stick as an emergency boot OS, but will definitely give it a whirl in live session to see if it is recommendable to newbies.

Just wiped Spiral Cinnamon from my tester. It's nice, and I do love the Cinnamon desktop look, but it had an annoying bug with the mouse pointer that drove me nuts.

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
1. Windows 8 update has been dead since 2016. Just like Win7 update is dead so it’s not surprising the links don’t work.
2. Updating to Windows 8.1 w/SP1 which you can still download is the easiest path to 10.
3. Don’t see the real advantage here other than knowledge, Windows 10 is dead May 2025. So you will be right back in the sh*t spot you are in now.
My Win7 now Win10 machine has 2 years left. Then it’s either off the net, or Linux. I can get Win11 to install but not really impressed. Lot of work for little gain.
If I really want Win11 I can buy an upgradable hardware wise laptop off Amazon for 239.00 with 11 installed, or bump up to ~400 bucks and not have to upgrade memory or SSD.
I really hate HP and Dell. But my 128 gig iPad works just fine for 95% and my old laptop works just dandy for the rest.

Rocky, I be getting bored. Got 5 different distros of Linux (64 bit) this time, and it’s time to play. Out.
ON my little Samsung NC10 I won't care if Windows 10 is dead. That might be the time to go to Linux. The 32 bit MX looks like the route to go. I have 2 more computers to update. If I'm going to FUBAR a computer, I'd rather it be this NC10 and not the 2 desktops.

kwg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup.

I just test-drove AntiX and I'm not favorably impressed. It is NOT newbie friendly. Too many software packages with cute names and no clue what they do, just as one example.

MX is one of my faves. It has a boxcar of software with odd names, but at least it tells you what they do. Plus, it's gorgeous.

Do download the MX32. Make a bootable USB stick by downloading and using a small program called Etcher. (You can't just put the MX.iso onto a stick, it has to be modified by Etcher.)

Now boot to the stick and give MX a try uninstalled but live. It's that simple. If you like what you see, you can then decide to install it. (You almost surely will like it.)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Swifty, if you read this, I ran AntiX for only about 20 minutes. I think it would drive a newbie away from Linux.

Then I plugged in Solus. MUCH nicer and MUCH more newbie friendly. It's 64-bit only, though. I need to play with it more, but it might end up rivaling Zorin in my fave list. It's a completely independent fork, neither Debian nor Ubuntu-based. The budgie desktop is clean and familiar in a W-7 way.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Amos63, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,668
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.