Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Our Tikka 7-08 compact has been killing a lot of deer with 120 BT.
My Tikka SL doing the same with 120 BT..

My other 7-08 shooting 150 eldx,

7-08 hint.

Last edited by Remington280; 12/09/22.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote10
From my experience with my son, I have limited him to 200 yards thus far. He is only 8. When he progresses at ethically taking game I will give him a longer leash on shots he can try. But a 350 yard shot for him right now is out of the question. And he has killed quite a few deer. But hey whatever the responsible adult with the kid thinks, then go for it. Each their own.
I'm with you there. It's important to recognize the limitations and stay within them.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The 6.5 manbun is gay. 7-08 all the way.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd never insult my kids by buying them anything Creedmoor .... ever ...

Memories last a lifetime, don't pollute your kids memories

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I own both, and personally prefer the 7mm08. I handload. For someone that doesn’t and is relying on factory ammo, I’d recommend the 6.5 Creed due simply to availability concerns.

IC B2

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Alex38
I own both, and personally prefer the 7mm08. I handload. For someone that doesn’t and is relying on factory ammo, I’d recommend the 6.5 Creed due simply to availability concerns.
6.5 just because of availability.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own both 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor and like them both. But for a young and new hunter, get the Creedmoor.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ready
Asking the young gentleman, which of the two, or the rifle, he wants, may just be the way to go.

As an aside, and just because I want to talk about it, and nothing you can do about that, here is a thought on a gun for a young hunter:

Whay not start with a singleshot?

[Linked Image from content.wirjagen.de]

Bought such one in .308 Win. for my 14 year old. My idea was, to benefit from the virtual impossibility of any user induced mishaps.
Rifle is carried unloaded and loaded on stand. Rifle per default is uncocked until you get ready to shoot. After the shot, rilfe is obviously safe - as the cartridge is spent and the gun can not be opened while cocked.

To screw up, one would have to set aside a cocked rifle - thats about it. While realizing that we should never rely on mechanics to safety - complexity adds to the pressure.

Good on y'all getting young guys shooting.

A young man could do far worse than that for a starter scope. 😎

I should like to come see the lad again before he starts shaving.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by Okanagan
What are advantages/disadvantages between 6.5 Creed and 7-08? I think I have a pretty good handle on them but wonder if there is something I don’t know or haven’t thought about.

We will probably buy new in one of the entry level bolt rifles. With seasons over here this year we are biding our time with an eye out for a bargain. If the right deal comes along, new or used, a .243 or .308 would do. This will be primarily for blacktail deer in the wet jungle, but elk and black bear are on the local menu.

Flip a coin...not a lot of difference other than ammo availability.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
@ Dollarshort You know, what? You just might be right there. Thx.

@ FC Sorry. You are always welcome to visit, but there ist only one guy now in this house not shaving and he is 5 by now. The one you are thinking of - well, a fine lad he grew up to be, but that ship has sailed. Time, she is a running fast...

Sorry to the OP, I disgress...

Personally, a 7mm-08 speaks to me more as it is almost a 7x57 Mauser - and that is all I have to say about that.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Ready
Personally, a 7mm-08 speaks to me more as it is almost a 7x57 Mauser ...

... but without the Mauser's difficulties for lack of a better term.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Having owned both and shot both I'll vote for the 7MM-08 only because IMHO felt recoil seems to be less in the 7MM-08. When I've had rifles that are about 99% identical I always thought the 08 just didn't seem to kick as much or felt that way. The CM seemed more snappy if that makes sense?? But since you said for a young hunter it may make a difference??

+1

I also have owned both, just checked ammoseek and there is plenty of 7mm-08 ammo starting at $19.75 a box.

Last edited by old_willys; 12/16/22.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
this says it all smile

Ted
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For an update: am leaning toward buying a Savage Axis XP compact for her, in 6.5 Creed. Got a good-but-not-great deal on a new one from a local source and can make it a Christmas present. Iffy reviews of the Mossberg Patriot Bantam and on the Ruger American clip/magzine are influencing me. I may figure out a way for her to shoot or at least handle a Ruger and an Axis before we buy. Hope so.

She has shot a .30-06 without daunting her (don't know bulllet weight) but she told me she has trouble holding up a full length bolt rifle for very long in a stand-up off hand position.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Patriot. Can't recommend them despite some decent features for such a cheap rifle.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you pursue the RAR, just avoid the rotary mag.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

In general I agree, but the two RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor I've owned have fed well from the rotary magazine.

Might also comment that I've seen a BUNCH of big game of various sizes taken with not only the 6.5 Creedmoor but the .260 Remington and 6.5x55--along with the 7mm-08 and 7x57. Have also been beside other hunters who used the same rounds, using various bullets. I have yet to be able to see any difference in "killing power" with any of them, and would even throw in the .270 Winchester. The two major differences I see in all those rounds are:

1) Recoil--which tends to be less in the 6.5s, though that also depends on the rifle's weight, and fit to the specific shooter.

2) Availability of factory ammunition or brass/bullets for handloaders. (Aside from all that, 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo tends to be more accurate than any of the other cartridges mentioned.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

In general I agree, but the two RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor I've owned have fed well from the rotary magazine.
It seems like some people have no issues, but many do. I personally have owned two in 6.5 CM and spent a fair bit of time with another that all had problems with the rotary mag. Of course, all three were fed long pointy bullets at near mag length, which is likely part of the problem.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’m voting 7mm-08

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Might also comment that I've seen a BUNCH of big game of various sizes taken with not only the 6.5 Creedmoor but the .260 Remington and 6.5x55--along with the 7mm-08 and 7x57. Have also been beside other hunters who used the same rounds, using various bullets. I have yet to be able to see any difference in "killing power" with any of them, and would even throw in the .270 Winchester. The two major differences I see in all those rounds are:

1) Recoil--which tends to be less in the 6.5s, though that also depends on the rifle's weight, and fit to the specific shooter.

2) Availability of factory ammunition or brass/bullets for handloaders. (Aside from all that, 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo tends to be more accurate than any of the other cartridges mentioned.)

Yea, I was in the small town sporting goods store where my brother lives talking to my nephew about his upcoming first cow elk hunt. I told him "just take my CM and some factory 143's and have at it. Tell me how it went when you get back."

Apparently the gun counter guy overheard me and volunteered that the only proper cartridge to point at an elk is a 300 WM. Laughing, I told him he needed to get out more, and by the looks of him he hadn't done that very thing in a long, long time.

My brother later told me he had to go back to soothe old Mr. Gun Guy's feelings as he apparently didn't like having his sagacity stomped on like that.

Oh, well.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (12344mag, 160user, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.