Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I feel for you went through it, my MIL years ago and most recently with my dad. It is not easy to deal with, try and remember it is the disease, making not her do the things she is doing. It is progressive and only gets worse. Get professional help now!!!

Get her finances in order as soon as possible, which may be hard to do at this stage.

Good luck and prayers sent your way.

There is a war on America and America is losing

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
watched grandmother did of Alzheimer's now mother is showing signs ( 80 ) luckily wife is professional caregiver . sister and aunt also in medical professionals. but still a tough road .
Alzheimer's is probably the one disease worse on everybody around than the person their self.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the advice. I expect I’ll find it very valuable in the coming days.

Right now, she is capable of living by herself. She can’t remember chit, except for our phone number. Every time a thought enters her mind, she calls. It’s taking a toll on my wife.

Wife has a brother and a sister. Sister tries to help, but wife is obviously her favorite. Brother ain’t much help unless he benefits in some way from it. He sells has his hands full right now with his wife and her parents.

She is very frugal with her money. This hasn’t changed. I’m just trying to plan ahead right now.

Thanks again!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
This is beginning to affect my wife in a bad way. Any advice?

Gregintenn, I am very sorry to hear of your wife's dementia disorder. I went through the same thing with my wife who had Alzheimer's disorder. Because of circumstances, I eventually had to place her in a Memory Care facility. Alzheimer's is an awful disorder. My wife suffered a stroke after being in the Facility for 21 months, and after a week in the hospital, died.

I strongly suggest you contact a lawyer and have a Power Of Attorney drawn up so you can handle things on a legal basis that your wife would ordinarily handle.

I assure you, a POA will definitely come in handy and save you a basket full of headaches.

If you live near or in a city wherein there is an Alzheimer's Support Group, sponsored by the Nat'l. Alzheimer's Assoc., I suggest you contact it and attend the meetings when you can. Information there can be invaluable.

I am very sorry about your wife.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You have to do what you know you can do and what you can live with.

Me, I knew she wanted to die at home and I promised her that that is what would happen. March of 08 she took her last breath in her bed.

Her and I had many discussions on what to do if she became unmanageable, luckily non of it had to happen and she passed peacefully.

My mother meant the world to me and there is no way I would have let her down.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly.
Dad was 82 at this point, and with Mom as she was, we were afraid she might kill him or something. The 3 of us spent as much time as we could, but holy smokes.
We called Moms younger sister, who came for a few days and talked to Mom.
Margie had a pull with Mom that we boys and The Old Man didn’t.
I’m sitting here crying, and I’ll surely be praying for you and your family, Greg.
Keep your chin up, and remember, He numbers the hairs on our heads.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hard stuff to go thru.
BTDT with the wife's side of the family.
Sometimes it will backfire on you when you suggest things for the better of all concerned.
Being a realist and practical for alls well being sometimes is very resented.
Tread lightly dude and let the blood relatives make decisions.

Don't put yourself in the middle.
Just support your wife and those who welcome it.

Bout it IMO..
others MMV....

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Gregintenn, I am very sorry to hear of your wife's dementia disorder. I went through the same thing with my wife who had Alzheimer's disorder. Because of circumstances, I eventually had to place her in a Memory Care facility. Alzheimer's is an awful disorder. My wife suffered a stroke after being in the Facility for 21 months, and after a week in the hospital, died.

I strongly suggest you contact a lawyer and have a Power Of Attorney drawn up so you can handle things on a legal basis that your wife would ordinarily handle.

I assure you, a POA will definitely come in handy and save you a basket full of headaches.

If you live near or in a city wherein there is an Alzheimer's Support Group, sponsored by the Nat'l. Alzheimer's Assoc., I suggest you contact it and attend the meetings when you can. Information there can be invaluable.

I am very sorry about your wife.

L.W.
To be clear, my mother in law is the one losing her marbles. She’s just stressing out my wife.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To be clear, my mother in law is the one losing her marbles. She’s just stressing out my wife.

Sorry about that mistake, GreginTenn. I just caught my mistake a couple of minutes after my post. Thankfully, it is not your wife.

That advice about getting Power of Attorney still holds, however.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just went through this in September. I feel very fortunate for the home we moved Mom into is full of salt of the earth people. The take their job seriously and treat everyone with respect. The owner lives in the community and knows everybody. Everybody is basically treated like family! The owner is also the administrator so she is there every day insuring things are being doing properly so she won't get slapped with a law suit!

Very friendly and the owner sits with each resident once a week to address any concerns or problems that might arise.

My mom we on deaths door. Couldn't walk but a few steps at a time, her lungs were failing her. Had to have oxygen 24hrs a day. Weak. Sick. Just going down hill. Since she has been in this environment she is in better shape now that anytime in the past 2 -3 years. We finally got her off the oxygen, she is walking all over the nursing home making her rounds to see her new friends. It's just a blessing. Her dementia has been manageable but if she gets the least bit sick then her dementia is really bad.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have the trifecta going on. Dad was been moved today from a hospital to a care facility/physical therapy after collapsing at Thanksgiving breakfast. Minor stroke with a brain tumor. Mom's alzheimers/demetia is getting worse and we're going to insist on power of attorney which won't be a pleasant conversation and my lovely wife just had her 4th round of chemo in battling pancreatic cancer and is sicker'n a dog.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good luck and hope you can find a positive result. Seems there are some newer drugs that slow down Alzheimer’s, but may be experimental. My grandmother lived with us when I was young after getting Alzheimer’s, it’s a terrible disease and was very tough on all of us. I wish you and the MIL the best.

Morewood, my prayers are with you and your family also.

NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tough deal, best of luck to you and your wife. Went through this with my grandparents, mom and now my Dad. The only advice I have is, don't get upset no matter what they say.

Life is good live it while you can.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Morewood
I have the trifecta going on. Dad was been moved today from a hospital to a care facility/physical therapy after collapsing at Thanksgiving breakfast. Minor stroke with a brain tumor. Mom's alzheimers/demetia is getting worse and we're going to insist on power of attorney which won't be a pleasant conversation and my lovely wife just had her 4th round of chemo in battling pancreatic cancer and is sicker'n a dog.

Prayers for you and your loved ones, Morewood. Yours is more than a full plate to manage and deal with.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow buddy! That is a handful. Makes my conundrum seem minor.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Holy [bleep] bro prayers for real man so sorry this is an insane bunch of [bleep] circumstances!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My late brother’s widow has changed from one of the most intelligent people you would likely ever meet. About last March, she became confused and since then, her mental capacity has dropped off a cliff. My dear little wife is no blood relation but has taken the role of caretaker. She tried to take care of her in her house and when that didn’t work she moved her into our house. That ended pretty quickly when my SIL found me planting some flowers on the side of our house and demanded who had given me permission to tear out her roses and replace them with other plants and she wouldn’t pay for any of it. She’s in a memory care facility and still in decline…

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have my own personal issues going at this time. but damn that's about a tear to my eye , and I'm an [bleep]

Last edited by ldholton; 12/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Damn, Mwood!

I’m very sorry.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Find a new wife.

Orphan preferred.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,274
Posts18,486,646
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.