Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I never have figured out how the SHTF/Bug out fantasy works. Where are you that you have to leave? Why do you have to leave? Where are you going? What does it offer that the place you left doesn't? What are you going to do when you get there? Why would you only have room for one gun? Do you destroy the guns and ammo you leave behind?

Can someone who has played this out answer those questions for me?

Typically a bug out scenerio means your area has been made an inhospitable environment, for at least a short time.

Chem spill, hurricane, fire, tornado, volcano (happening in HI now), power grid failure and such.

It happens a bit more than the snowflakes want to believe.

Better to have a plan than pretend there is nothing that could make your home less hospital than some where else.

That said I am in nowhere WY with a great well, river, crop ground, lots of game, lots of cattle, generators, multiple houses, 4000 gals of propane, good neighbors, and such but things happen and if Yellerstone blows lightly I might have to reposition.

Suppressed/Optic AR is the right answer for such.

If Yellerstone blows big rifle selection won't matter much.
Hey, look the NyQuil and Benadryl retard woke up

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
HR IC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This entire thread is probably being recorded and achieved at some government facility somewhere...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
This entire thread is probably being recorded and achieved at some government facility somewhere...
No room. Q thread archival consumes it all.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I actually had to do this years ago. There was a tsunami warning after a pretty big earthquake and we were living in an inundation zone. Based on the predicted time the wave would hit I decided we had about 15 minutes to grab everything we might need for a two week stay in the woods, and then 20 minutes to get to safety. The kids were a baby and a toddler. We quickly split the responsibilities. I was in charge of living quarters, food, and weapons. My wife took care of kid stuff, medicines, batteries and basic clothes for everyone. Funny thing is, she also grabbed pillows. Yeah, pillows.

This was no joke. I expected that whatever we left at the house would be destroyed. Gunwise, I grabbed a pair of AR-15s with associated go bags, mags, and trauma kits, a semi-auto .22 and two bricks, the .375 with 100 rounds, an '06 with 200 rounds, two .40 S&Ws with multiple holsters, mags and 200ish rounds, and a bunch of 5.56 (I can't recall how much) a small cleaning kit and knife sharpener. I didn't have the slightest hesitation leaving the sort of guns we all drool over here, such as the Colt Python, the pretty Ruger No. 1 RSI, or the pristine Savage 99A. I grabbed a case of MREs, all my backpacking food, tipi tent with woodstove, sleeping bags, some tarps, and matches, other food, stove and fuel.

It all ended up being a non-event, as no tsunami was produced, but it was a good drill. We learned some stuff about what to change or do different for the next time around. One thing I screwed up was not grabbing as much perishable/shorter term food as possible. We had room in the car, I just didn't think to grab it. Speaking of loading the car, the kids got seated and then had a bunch of crap piled around them. They were sort of unhappy about that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Plenty of well thought options that could fit this discussion. Short term or longer term? Since this is a "what if" I can use my imagination. I imagine that I would want something lightweight, and reliability is a must, as is the likelihood of ammunition supply. I would pick a lightweight AR15 in 5.56 and take along a CMMG .22 rimfire unit for it. I imagine I wouldn't feel much worse off with a purpose-built .22 rimfire AR pistol with suppressor and might actually chose it over the former but you asked for a rifle.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As always ought-6.

Never mind, this is just another one of those threads.

Last edited by johnn; 12/11/22.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Since this is in hunting rifles, anything besides 22 lr, 5.56 or 308 and you’re a retard.
Feeling is mutual.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
True

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why would you only grab one? Only takes seconds to grab two, three, four, and cases of ammo

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just a theory.....my theory.....Bugging out in a SHTF scenario with a drag bag and other gear to the "Wilds" is surely one of the quickest ways to die in an urban collapse. Most of the wild game in the country will be obliterated within a few days at best. It will be more important to have "Trade" goods to barter and swap with. Several large Rat traps with some wire for staking them down work well for rodent capture.

Killing your neighbors while they still have a naive trust of you, and taking their food and supplies is probably more realistic were it to happen. Family units falling back to one, defendable location, would have more chance of survival than most other entities.

Lastly, the biggest determining factor of survival will be your mindset from the start. You will need to get your mind wrapped around what atrocities you will have to do to "Survive" an apocalypse.......and be right with it.

YMMV.........

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Contender carbine with 223 barrel, 357 mag. barrel, and 22 lr. barrel.

If the SHTF situation would kindly wait until I could order some custom barrels, (and have them delivered), 7 twist barrel with a 5.56 chamber, 9mm barrel, and the 22 lr., though without the match chamber. All with open sights, and low power scopes in qd mounts.

Oh, and can't forget the screwdriver.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by johnn
As always ought-6.

Never mind, this is just another one of those threads.

Every time there is a survey on the 'Fire regarding hunting game, the 30-06 and the 270 come in first and second, out distancing everything else combined. No reason to change the script now...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long ago I read someplace that the best place to be in such times is a small town, with support from neighbors and hopefully access to some services like medical care and perhaps some supplies. Running off into some unfamiliar wild area sounds very romantic and exciting, but except to escape some impending doom, isn’t a great idea for most. Even without commercial power, my home is a better shelter and better supplied than any camp you can carry, and far enough off the beaten track to at least slow down the zombies.

If I did need to run, I have a pretty good head-start on the city folks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never have figured out how the SHTF/Bug out fantasy works. Where are you that you have to leave? Why do you have to leave? Where are you going? What does it offer that the place you left doesn't? What are you going to do when you get there? Why would you only have room for one gun? Do you destroy the guns and ammo you leave behind?

Can someone who has played this out answer those questions for me?

Typically a bug out scenerio means your area has been made an inhospitable environment, for at least a short time.

Chem spill, hurricane, fire, tornado, volcano (happening in HI now), power grid failure and such.

Better to have a plan than pretend there is nothing that could make your home less hospital than some where else.

That said I am in nowhere WY with a great well, river, crop ground, lots of game, lots of cattle, generators, multiple houses, 4000 gals of propane, good neighbors, and such but things happen and if Yellerstone blows lightly I might have to reposition.

Thanks for completing the picture by answering all of the questions. Carry on with your fantasy.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dre
Lets say, what If, sh*t hits the fan. You Need to bounce in a hurry with no time to grab bunch of Misc. gear and ammo. There is also Possibility of no chance of coming back home to re group. One rifle for survival/hunting. Not talking warfare.
What are you grabbing?
I’m grabbing 10/22 with 2-7 and sealed box of 10 (500 round) bricks.
I though about the AR and 1000 round box of 62gr HP. But seems like too much heat for small game/birds.

What are you grabbing and why?

I would recommend suppressing your 22 and purchasing subsonic ammo. Subsonic ammo will probably shoot tighter groups and will kill any game your after without making much noise. Not only is it beneficial for being stealthy but it also doesn't scare existing game away.

Some people seem to believe that this is something that will NEVER happen! When it does happen those people will likely wish they had put more realistic thought into it

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks for completing the picture by answering all of the questions. Carry on with your fantasy.

[Linked Image from media1.giphy.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’d much rather just die at home than try to fight it out over a can of beans out in the wild.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by frogman43
Just a theory.....my theory.....Bugging out in a SHTF scenario with a drag bag and other gear to the "Wilds" is surely one of the quickest ways to die in an urban collapse. Most of the wild game in the country will be obliterated within a few days at best. It will be more important to have "Trade" goods to barter and swap with. Several large Rat traps with some wire for staking them down work well for rodent capture.

Killing your neighbors while they still have a naive trust of you, and taking their food and supplies is probably more realistic were it to happen. Family units falling back to one, defendable location, would have more chance of survival than most other entities.

Lastly, the biggest determining factor of survival will be your mindset from the start. You will need to get your mind wrapped around what atrocities you will have to do to "Survive" an apocalypse.......and be right with it.

YMMV.........

Frog----OUT!
Frog hit it , everyone else is on dope..lol mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

YMMV.........

Frog----OUT!
Frog hit it , everyone else is on dope..lol mb

This is what made the prepper TV shows even dumber than they already were. "Here's all my stuff you can come steal." Obviously be prepared for problems... but maybe keep it to yourself. "The Shelter" episode of The Twilight Zone is 100% accurate. Your neighbors who did nothing will feel entitled to your stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

YMMV.........

Frog----OUT!
LMFAO

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (12344mag, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 22 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,972
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.