Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by CRS
BK,
Late to this thread. Glad you had a good hunt, sorry for geriatric incursions though.

I have been fortunate. Drew my first BH archery tag in 94 on my first try. 2nd one came in 2015 with 11 pp. Will put in for archery cow as soon as I am able.

First rifle tag was 2006, and just put in for a cow tag this year. Only expect to get leftover cow tags anymore.
Have drawn CSP late season archery once, and cow tag once. Currently have 28 years pp for both early season any elk.

Have 16 years pp for prairie and seriously thinking about putting in for a cow tag.

I am done chasing antlers, cows eat waaay better.

Problem with those PP's is you will most likely age out before you will draw a tag. ( I did on my sheep and goat draws) Then as aging continues,you can't count on hunting the next year, so you want the capability of getting a tag every year. BTDT.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that cows eat better….way better.

But the problem with cows is ….it’s hard to toot on a call and get them to come in blowing snot and screaming!

I value bulls during rut archery type deal. But if with a gun a bull compared to a cow isn’t that different.

Unless the bull is HUGE!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Problem with those PP's is you will most likely age out before you will draw a tag. ( I did on my sheep and goat draws) Then as aging continues,you can't count on hunting the next year, so you want the capability of getting a tag every year. BTDT.

Which was the original point of the entire thread...we have tremendous point creep here in SD causing frustrated people to be driving around road hunting because they can't physically do it on foot.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CRS
BK,
Late to this thread. Glad you had a good hunt, sorry for geriatric incursions though.

I have been fortunate. Drew my first BH archery tag in 94 on my first try. 2nd one came in 2015 with 11 pp. Will put in for archery cow as soon as I am able.

First rifle tag was 2006, and just put in for a cow tag this year. Only expect to get leftover cow tags anymore.
Have drawn CSP late season archery once, and cow tag once. Currently have 28 years pp for both early season any elk.

Have 16 years pp for prairie and seriously thinking about putting in for a cow tag.

I am done chasing antlers, cows eat waaay better.

Congrats Skinny, we have locked on to a place in a neighboring state with annual access to cow tags. Allows the group to go each year, and we pull 2-3 any elk tags in addition to the OTC cow tags. Its a great setup and good to be able to get out as we do. Hope alls good out there. My WR deer hunting is getting some schedule foul ups

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BKinSD

Which was the original point of the entire thread...we have tremendous point creep here in SD causing frustrated people to be driving around road hunting because they can't physically do it on foot.

Strange times, hunters getting upset because one is NOT road hunting. Elk of all things!

The GFP knew point creep was going to be an issue when they implemented the weighted system. Sat through a few of those commission meetings.

This is not a popular idea. But why can we only apply for two deer tags, our most abundant big game animal. Yet allow us to apply for five elk tags?

One idea is to only allow one to apply for one tag and only have "elk" preference points, not each season. It would certainly get rid of bunch of accumulated pp's, and just maybe make it easier to draw the tag one really wants. I for one, would forego all the rifle seasons for archery. Makes sense to me when dealing with such a limited resource.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by CRS
I for one, would forego all the rifle seasons for archery. Makes sense to me when dealing with such a limited resource.

Careful there. That has happened in Colorado and now archery seasons are about as crowded as rifle season and archers are crying for CPW to make more of their OTC tag units, draw only.

Just like big game units have a a carrying capacity for wildlife, Colorado has a carrying capacity for hunters and we reached that several years ago.I suspect most other states have too. We need to either reduce the number of hunters, or we will reduce the number of elk,deer, pronghorn, and just about every other species of wildlife.

In fact IMHO,the United states has reached it's carrying capacity for people.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with Idaho Archery seasons…..

They have them in September around me 4 elk….

September has had July weather 4 years now…

It’s too hot 2 make meat with archery tactics….

I like the Midwest archery lasts months…

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/09/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho puts the archery season during the elk rut. That allows calling them in which is a lot more fun than just wandering around hoping to find one. That fact that they rut in Sept when it's hot can't be helped.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
I for one, would forego all the rifle seasons for archery. Makes sense to me when dealing with such a limited resource.

Careful there. That has happened in Colorado and now archery seasons are about as crowded as rifle season and archers are crying for CPW to make more of their OTC tag units, draw only.

Just like big game units have a a carrying capacity for wildlife, Colorado has a carrying capacity for hunters and we reached that several years ago.I suspect most other states have too. We need to either reduce the number of hunters, or we will reduce the number of elk,deer, pronghorn, and just about every other species of wildlife.

Do not think that would be an issue. SD is resident only and you have every elk hunter putting in for five different season's. Would immediately cut down applications by 80% if my math is right.

But there is the rub....cut down application fees by 80% too. Draw an elk tag and you sit out 9 years. Would probably be drawing some tags pretty quickly. There are some fixes to implement the issue, but they will not happen because of the financial ramifcations.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by CRS

They will just keep introducing more wolves !
grin

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am 75 and was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago. My son took my grandson and I elk hunting last year in NM. We took wall tents and stayed for 5 days and had a blast. I have elk hunted since 1973 and was grandsons first elk hunt. Son was our “guide”. He hunts with his wife archery every year. Grandson and I were both able to harvest good bulls. Son set up a ground blind for me and would drop me off. I have to use a cane, so he would take me to the blind in our ranger and drop me off. Grandson would take off from there and hike about 1/2 way up the mountain to a nice lookout point. We both took our bulls about and hour apart on the second day. I enjoyed just being able to get out with family in God’s wonderful mountain country. If I’m still upright I hope to experience it again next year with another grandson.

http:/www.canadianriverhilton.com
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Hope you make it, that's a great story!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hope you make it, that's a great story!

+1 bubba!

"Old elk hunters never die. They just smell that way."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Switch
I hope you are still as cheeky when you're 75. I have a nephew that is always pissing and moaning about the"old guys" that can't walk putting in for tags and ruining his chances at the draw. Screw him!

Hahahahaha! I was more bitching about them bitching at me for going out and hunting on foot and ruining their road hunting opportunities
The road hunters dream, is young guys busting brush for them! You met the retarded ones!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm 76 and still hunt elk. The only thing that has changed over the years is I have shortened the distance I hunt from a road or trail. I hunt alone most of the time and I'm careful I don't shoot something I can't get out in a reasonable amount of time. The last elk I shot was only about a 100 yard pack to an atv trail. 5 trips back and forth for an old geezer was plenty.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 74. I hunt for the best meat which is a younger cow. I'll take a yearling every time if I have a choice. Besides being more tender, they're also smaller and easier to handle.
I have pack llamas but haven't needed them for the last 3 seasons because each time I was able to get a 4 wheeler up close. This year's elk was only 100 yds from an atv road but I wouldn't have been able to use the llamas at all. The road was so bad that I couldn't have got my llama trailer within 7 miles. It would have been a long hike in and out with them.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I haven't really changed how I hunt, except I would like to have another slightly younger guy with me. I am still getting "back in there" ,but it just takes a little longer. Did not do well this year for various reasons, none associated with my age. I still can hunt the tough spots, but stay out of the deep dark. Apparently I have great genes and keep in great shape for a 77 year old. I am already looking forward to next season and hoping that things go better, and as posted previously got my first elk in the early 60's.

Last edited by elkmen1; 12/13/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkmen1
I haven't really changed how I hunt, except I would like to have another slightly younger guy with me. I am still getting "back in there" ,but it just takes a little longer. Did not do well this year for various reasons, none associated with my age. I still can hunt the tough spots, but stay out of the deep dark. Apparently I have great genes and keep in great shape for a 77 year old. I am already looking forward to next season and hoping that things go better, and as posted previously got my first elk in the early 60's.

Just one of those years I think! Glad you're still out there kicking around..

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just had my 69th birthday ,ya i have few health problems but never drew a elk tag this year ,my favorite way to hunt elk is with a bow but after being a REA lineman /pole climber for 35 years and a bowhunter for over 55 years my left shoulder even after shoulder surgery and neck surgery i just can not hold a bow up anymore under pulled weight pressure anymore. i have a great area on public land in Montana that son and i have killed plenty elk but Montana does not allow x-bows during the archery season so i am done . when your a non-resident finding a good elk area takes time ,money and at 69 with health issues it is just not with it, besides these western states charge to much for a non-resident hunting license on Federal land that all legal American`s own .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
just had my 69th birthday ,ya i have few health problems but never drew a elk tag this year ,my favorite way to hunt elk is with a bow but after being a REA lineman /pole climber for 35 years and a bowhunter for over 55 years my left shoulder even after shoulder surgery and neck surgery i just can not hold a bow up anymore under pulled weight pressure anymore. i have a great area on public land in Montana that son and i have killed plenty elk but Montana does not allow x-bows during the archery season so i am done . when your a non-resident finding a good elk area takes time ,money and at 69 with health issues it is just not with it, besides these western states charge to much for a non-resident hunting license on Federal land that all legal American`s own .
Idaho has a disability waver that allows hunters with injuries like yours to use a x-bow in an archery hunt. I haven't done it but I think it's just a matter of getting your doctor to sign a form.

A rifle carried with a standard sling can also put a lot of pressure on an injured shoulder or neck. A couple years ago I switched to a Boonie Packer Safari sling. It spreads the weight and makes it a lot easier on the shoulders.

― George Orwell

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 53 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.