Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Birds, did it show the prospective buyers trying out the young chattel on the auction block? Now that BS would generate a lot of reparations sympathy. You know, like they have going on in Commifornia.

You know, the state which never had slavery with the people who were never slave owners or slaves?

It became a state after the Republicans abolished slavery.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by earlybrd
One of my GG granddaddy’s was a slave owner the slaves freed kept the last name I always wondered as a child why until somebody told me.

Thomas Jefferson was a conflicted guy, he recognized the moral wrong of slavery yet at the same time he was personally financially dependent upon it.”Holding a wolf by the ears” as he put it, can’t let go, but can’t hang on forever, predicted the issue would tear the country apart. He did treat his own slaves humanely and took pains to keep families together.

Didn’t stop him from taking his late wife’s enslaved teenage half-sister, Sally Hemings, with him to France where to all appearances they lived like man and wife.

Whether Sally Hemming’s children were fathered by Thomas Jefferson or his somewhat dissolute brother cannot be proven but what is bizarre by modern standards are the written congratulations from the John Quincy Adams family upon the birth of one of Hemming’s children, said infant likewise Jefferson’s property. Almost as if his dog had puppies, yet at the same time the Adams attended the celebration of the birth of that child.

Towards the end of his life Jefferson freed Hemming’s children, one of whom moved north and lived as a White man, but had to sell his other hundred (??) slaves to settle his debts. Many if not most woulda been sold South to meet the demands of the expanding cotton industry, no word on how many families were split, prob’ly most.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
... It [California] became a state after the Republicans abolished slavery.

Huh uh. California was admitted to the Union, September, 1850.

The Emancipation Proclamation was issued many years later.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Oh goody, another movie about how evil southerners were during the Civil War. Haven't seen one of those in forever.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you look and listen close enough to these "black man" hero movies, they've turn the black hero into "savior". Hard to watch that crap anymore.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
IC B2

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
If you look and listen close enough to these "black man" hero movies, they've turn the black hero into "savior". Hard to watch that crap anymore.
You are correct, Its another crappy movie that will only promote hate and racism.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Oh goody, another movie about how evil southerners were during the Civil War. Haven't seen one of those in forever.

Yep. They’ll ride this theme to eternity.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by earlybrd
One of my GG granddaddy’s was a slave owner the slaves freed kept the last name I always wondered as a child why until somebody told me.

Thomas Jefferson was a conflicted guy, he recognized the moral wrong of slavery yet at the same time he was personally financially dependent upon it.”Holding a wolf by the ears” as he put it, can’t let go, but can’t hang on forever, predicted the issue would tear the country apart. He did treat his own slaves humanely and took pains to keep families together.

Didn’t stop him from taking his late wife’s enslaved teenage half-sister, Sally Hemings, with him to France where to all appearances they lived like man and wife.

Whether Sally Hemming’s children were fathered by Thomas Jefferson or his somewhat dissolute brother cannot be proven but what is bizarre by modern standards are the written congratulations from the John Quincy Adams family upon the birth of one of Hemming’s children, said infant likewise Jefferson’s property. Almost as if his dog had puppies, yet at the same time the Adams attended the celebration of the birth of that child.

Towards the end of his life Jefferson freed Hemming’s children, one of whom moved north and lived as a White man, but had to sell his other hundred (??) slaves to settle his debts. Many if not most woulda been sold South to meet the demands of the expanding cotton industry, no word on how many families were split, prob’ly most.
Do you feel guilty?? Not me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This is exactly the type of movie that I have less than ZERO interest in wasting my time with. Will Smith is cuckhold with a serious chip on his little sagging shoulders. I’m not interested in revisionism to further their agenda of division, hate and ignorance. BLM is the personification of the entire “black empowerment”, it is nothing more than a dishonest fleecing of others, outright theft, lawlessness under the protection of the law and hypocritical, uncaring and evil founders and “leaders”. They steal from their own people….the most vulnerable amongst them to fund their multi million dollar mansions, fancy cars for the family and expensive tennis shoes…..all in the name of Social Justice and equality. 😂

BLM used to elicit a very negative reaction from me but as time has revealed the truth I’ve tempered my hatred and taken the position that given enough time and a little rope those fugging fools will lynch each other. Of course they’ll lie and try to frame white supremacists for their troubles but since they don’t have a collective IQ above room temperature they will have soundly left a trail of factual evidence of their actions. That kind of money and attention to the negro is outside of their ability to manage …. at all. They’ll pull a Whitney Houston and die their ghetto OD in the Beverly Hills Hotel….at least metaphorically speaking anyway.

Will Smith should be a pariah after his pathetic bitch slap attempt at Chris Rock. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just watched it on my desktop computer. Surely are a lot of stereotypes in it. Way too much time spent filming in the swamp.

I am glad I did not have to pay to watch it.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainshot
Well it should be good to stir the pot more, that's for sure. Since Obama managed to destroy race relations we have gone steadily downhill. Every few years they come out with another movie to aggravate it more.

You nailed the whole purpose of the movie. It's to give them all the more reason to ch imp out.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
more accurate? laughing. More knee grow propaganda and just another anti white hate hit piece.

You're mad they made a movie portraying SLAVERS as bad guys? Laughing!

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Goosey
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
more accurate? laughing. More knee grow propaganda and just another anti white hate hit piece.

You're mad they made a movie portraying SLAVERS as bad guys? Laughing!

Nah, only that they don't portray the truth of the ethnicity of the 'SLAVERS'....

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just what we need - another movie to fuel the "bad white people" feeling...Will Smith can go suck an egg.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
We've all been slaves of a sort at som point. Feels good to throw of the yolk of oppression.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The theme is s predictable. Pos will get accolades for that alone.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blanket
Do you feel guilty?? Not me.

Who I admire most are the Germanic peoples, it was these people whose culture gave us our concepts of inalienable rights and Christianity-based morality that culminated in our Constitution, the greatest political document ever written. It weren’t my own people, the Celts, who remained backwards and feudal wherever they were self-governing.

Slavery existed everywhere at one time or another it’s true, but for slavery to exist in a Western Christian society as long as it did was egregious. A parable informing us as to what lengths people will go to justify the indefensible if there’s profit involved. The Old South was truly a bizarre place. But then so was Ireland at that same time, and my people were shanty Irish in the poorest part of Ireland.

But I don’t fall into the trap of judging people back then by our modern norms. Would I have felt different if I was living in the South back then? Seems likely. Heck, if I was living anywhere in the British Isles I might have held my own ancestors, dirt poor and breeding themselves into extinction, with utter contempt.

So do I feel guilt? Dunno why I should, but any time you objectively bring up the subject of slavery lots of people get all defensive.

FWIW I’m against “race”-based laws of any sort, from “affirmative action” on down.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bonekemper explains a lot about the "Myth of the Lost Cause" in his book. Yes Slavery was awful and America was conflicted about it. It was too profitable to give up and the South wanted to expand it to the new territories. The British and other slave traders wanted to keep it going for the profits. It is no more a sin of our ancestors than it is for the rest of the world. Movies that promote the sordid truth of it only serve to rub salt in old wounds.
Our own congress today is promoting something akin to slavery by inviting hordes of migrants here to exploit for cheap labor. Where's the rage about that? The living conditions arent as bad but instead of denying them to marry we offer them free abortion to murder their babies, so they won't miss work.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Will Smith had to do something to save face in his mind after being a cuck slave to his old lady on a national level...

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Average cost of a slave (of any age, sex, or condition) in 1850 = $ 400 ($15,267 in today's dollars)

Cost of a prime field hand (18-30 year-old man) in 1850 = $ 1,200 ($45,801 in today's dollars)

Cost of a skilled slave (e.g. a blacksmith) in 1850 = $ 2,000 ($76,336 in today's dollars)

At those prices, I would imagine they were well cared for...

Andy3

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (219DW, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 61 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.