Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
How many turkeys do you need to kill before you become an internet x'spurt ?

Old Gobbler Turkey forum has few x'spurts that have only killed a few maybe even as low as one turkey.....they even have "so called callmakers" that are in the same bOat.

GB1

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
No takers ?

How many turkeys do you have to kill before you do a pOd cast ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have no clue what constitutes a turkey hunting expert. I've probably killed around 50 and don't consider myself an expert or even an avid turkey hunter.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
And you hate the taste of them....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I don't care much for eating them. Some years I don't even hunt them and some years I do. They're nothing I'd spend money traipsing around to other states to hunt.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
It's got to be something you are doing cooking wild turkey meat it has no wild taste and doesn't even taste like domestic turkey.

As far as traveling goes....I like to hunt turkeys and I like to kill turkeys so to help the addiction I have to travel.

No better feeling than my foot on a flopping turkeys neck....to know I out witted him fair and square...no blind no decoys.

Over the years I've had plenty of invites to hunt Florida for free but it's a heck of a drive to Florida and I'd loose a few days hunting just getting there.

Davis Love the golfer used to invite me to hunt his place in Georgia.....he hasn't asked since I told him "Davis do you know how many turkeys there are between here and there ?"....one reason I don't go there is when I go to the trouble of going that far I at least want the chance to kill the statewide bag limit.

I've flew a few times hunting but I don't care for the hassle of flying.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have no idea, but I’m not an expert. Ive shotgunned two, about 30 years ago.
And the last 25 or so years, I’ve killed 40 plus with archery equipment

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been at it over 40 seasons, and now usually fill my tags and I consider myself still a rank beginner.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! Expert turkey hunter? Not me. I am a run and gun type turkey hunter. I have been hunting Spring gobblers since 1987 and have killed a total of 130 gobblers in Virginia and Kentucky, I have never used a decoy and certainly not a blind but I am blessed to have access to 10's of thousands of acres of public hunting in both States. Spring Gobbler season is by far my favorite hunting....Hb

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Shaman I'd go crazy hunting the same little piece of land for 40 years....

IC B3

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Hb...sounds like you got it figured out. I started out hunting Public land and still hunt it every year. Public land used to be the only place around here that had any turkeys....boy do I have some crAzy public land stories. If there's a dumb sOb out there I'll run into him.

There's people out there that have killed a lot less and write books and do pod casts and make turkey calls.

Turkeys do some funny things to some people.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I can tell stories all day long about My public land experiences around other hunters but I have slowly learned over the years the tracts of public land in my area that are seldom hunted, usually it involves hiking deep into the forest where few other hunters venture, its rare these past few years but occasionally i will still run into another turkey hunter...I have also noticed less and less hunters overall that even hunt turkeys in the Spring. I think hunting in general is a dying sport in my area....Good hunting...Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
Shaman I'd go crazy hunting the same little piece of land for 40 years....

Actually, I started hunting the same spot in 2002. It's afforded me a lot of insights into turkeys and turkey hunting that a lot of others don't get. The birds on this property are pretty much sticking to the same structures as when they first came to the property in the 80s or so.

After a while, I realized I was running into the same characters over and over. Gobbler personality is closely tied to the land. I don't know if a given gobbler dictates what sort of landforms he likes or if it's the other way around, but I see basically the same gobbler showing up year after year at the same spot. It's impossible, I know, because so many of these characters ended up in my freezer. I end up naming them: The Garbage Pit Bandit, The Virginia Creeper, Mister Natural, Silent Bob, etc.

After a while, I stopped roaming around the farm, because I found that I was always putting my back to the same trees. I now have a half-dozen listening posts. I can go to one of them and gauge the temperature of a given part of the property and then slip into the best spot to do my calling. I have a few honey holes on the place that usually give me some action. One in particular, where I do most of my podcasts, will provide some activity nearly every day of season.

I don't claim to be an expert turkey hunter. While I was pro-staffing, the only claim I made was that I was an expert beginning turkey hunter. The only other claim that I'll make is that I am THE expert on one 200-acre piece of property in SW Bracken County, KY.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Only name I ever put on a gobbler was dead....

Who's pro staff were you on ?

I hope when I ask you you don't attack me like the great white prO staffer Donny Stark/aka Yoder409 did.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turkey and Turkey Hunting, I was the pro-staffer for Kentucky and Ohio.

I also pro-staffed for the now-defunct Heirloom Game Calls out of Laughton, LA.

I generally don't sell my own calls; I make 'em for friends and family mostly.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Why you think Turkey and Turkey hunting went belly up ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
Why you think Turkey and Turkey hunting went belly up ?

Very simply, it was not getting advertising money. No money? No way to pay writers and they had to rely on in-house staff for content. Occasionally, I've seen issues come out , but it's always some special gear review.

I used to joke that the majority of truly masterful turkey hunters I knew were barely literate. The truth is fairly close to that. I've only known one Mensan who took up the challenge and he gave it up after a few seasons. He could never get the hang of it. It is not a sport that is done with a great deal of rationality.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I figured it was because of Brian Lovett...I figured they hired him because he could spell the word turkey.

The late Art Carter editor of Sporting ,Classics magazine personally told that writers didn't have to walk the walk if they could type the type or hype.

Who' would a turkey hunter want to give up calling secrets that it took him decades to figure out ?

I think.every move you make and every call you give should be rationally made.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
I walk if they could type the type or hype.

Who' would a turkey hunter want to give up calling secrets that it took him decades to figure out ?

Honestly, if I could find the vocabulary for what goes on in my head when I'm calling, I would gladly attempt to give up those secrets. There is so much of what goes on between a turkey hunter and a gobbler that has no words. I'm 64 and there is so much I would love to pass on to others, especially my sons and grand daughter. At this point of the game holding secrets deliberately would be selfish.

". . . and all this shall be lost, like tears in rain. For now, it is time to die."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I am an expert... I am expert at messin' up and gettin' skunked by the dumbest bird besides myself, lol. I have been blessed to have hunted them for a long time in some incredible turkey habitat and their survival skills and paranoia never fail to amaze me. Pretty good, but not the best of eating but it certainly was never about that to me. It's a great break from the toils of deer hunting since they can't smell and for me it has always been a lot of fun. When I first began hunting them as a solo beginner, going out into the spring woods and hearing all the sights and sounds of a spring morning was refreshing, but actually talking back and forth with such a beautiful bird that would come in strutting and gobbling was somewhat magical to me. I wish I could start it all over again.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (16gage, 16Racing, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,349
Posts18,487,864
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.