Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Super glue and baking soda. Be back on the road in an hour.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Oldidaho;
Good morning to you sir, I hope you're getting decent weather out in Michigan this morning and you're well.

Through a bunch of my working life I worked in a cabinet production shop that among other things supplied cabinet doors and furniture to various RV manufacturers up here. One of them was West Coast Leisure which was owned by the late Chris Epp and if I'm not wrong he also owned Eagle Cap back then too. They closed down operations up here in 2008 I want to say and Chris has been gone since 2013.

Anyways all that to say through work there and then when I managed a storage facility where we stored boats, classic and exotic autos and RV's, I learned a wee bit about some aspects of what's going on there.

That camper is 4917lb dry so they say. Then we add 66gal of fresh water, 41 gallons of black water, 41 gallons of grey water, 6 gallons of hot water, 60lb of propane and fill up with diesel to top it off right? If my math is correct, without the diesel we've added 1345lb so now we're at 6262lb on the back.

Somehow, that seems like a whole bunch more than even a dually can put onto the axle and behind it too for that matter.

We used to tell folks something like, "Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should"...

That's not a small light setup.

https://www.eaglecapcampers.com/eagle-cap-1165

I'm not sure what I'd recommend as a solution other than putting the camper and truck separately on a flat bed trailer and taking it home.

All the best to you this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

This man knows his stuff.....

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm calling bullsh1t on this one. Unless the frame was compromised by drilling holes it it for mounting that camper. The frames on modern trucks are boxed hydro-formed high strength steel. Truck is too new for corrosion to be a factor. I would bet that you could unbolt the bed on a modern 1 ton truck (Any brand), load the frame behind the rear axle enough to pick the front up off the ground without causing damage.

There's more to the story, or its photoshopped.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by badger
I'm calling bullsh1t on this one. Unless the frame was compromised by drilling holes it it for mounting that camper. The frames on modern trucks are boxed hydro-formed high strength steel. Truck is too new for corrosion to be a factor. I would bet that you could unbolt the bed on a modern 1 ton truck (Any brand), load the frame behind the rear axle enough to pick the front up off the ground without causing damage.

If you look at the photo, it looks like the frame is still level, but the bed itself is canted.

I'm guessing the bed anchors gave way because of a rear heavy camper load...

Might be wrong though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a new one to me never seen that happen.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
badger;
Top of the morning my friend, I hope the day down in Georgia is going well for you.

If my memory is correct you had and still might have a Dodge pickup and as I've said our current one is an '03 with the Cummins.

In another part of my working life we had a '08 F450 and two 2018 Ram 3500 diesels, one a dually 2WD and one 4x4, so I've crawled under and around at least them for a sample. As well there have been work pickups that I'd be responsible for going back into the '80's.

For sure my initial thought was that it should have been doing a wheelie.

When we'd see rigs that had been obviously overloaded in the storage world and construction use too - typically the springs would be damaged first, then they'd break and then axle problems would show up - more or less in that order as I recall, but that's awhile ago now and didn't happen too, too frequently.

The boys surely knew how to overload flat bed work trailers though badger, boy and did they ever..

If there's more to the story I'd like to know too.

You might know this, but most of the bigger campers we saw had airbag suspensions put in right away, is that what you've seen too?

Air bags seemed like a really good idea to me, but I've never run them myself on a pickup so can't speak from personal experience.

All the best to you all this Christmas Season badger.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That didn't happen because of any kind of offset weight distribution.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
Last year we saw a new Ford F250 crew cab short box, single rear wheels with a huge 11 foot camper on it. The rear end was severely squatted and the front end elevated about a foot more than the rear. Older couple were just cruising down the highway. Probably couldn't drive at night with the headlights pointing to the sky.

Must have bought the camper from private owner, no camper dealer would have sold that setup.
I wouldn't bet on that, if I were you..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I’ll crawl under mine and look for frame cracks! 👎

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well shît just look at it!!!!

It’s a foucking monstrosity…JFC get something with its own axel at that point.

IC B3

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks to me like the bed failed and not the frame. Was it mounted properly? Probably not. Looks like it pushed the back of the bed down over the frame and pulled the bolts through the bed in front. Kind of like a dump truck action. Appears that front mounting bracket is under the bed and not under the frame. Hard to tell.

JMO

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by badger

If you look at the photo, it looks like the frame is still level, but the bed itself is canted.

I'm guessing the bed anchors gave way because of a rear heavy camper load...

Might be wrong though.
The frame goes clear to the rear bumper. If it was just the bed that's tilted, it would have to slide back half of it's length first.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
Well shît just look at it!!!!

It’s a foucking monstrosity…JFC get something with its own axel at that point.

Zactly..... couldn't agree more.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like bed floor (thin sheet metal) pulled over bolt heads.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MT_Mike
When did Baja get paved roads with curb and gutter?

Many years ago

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Heeler
No factory dually has a short bed - only 8'.
This appears to be a Mega Cab. Those have a 6'4" bed, even as a dually.

― George Orwell

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Looks like bed floor (thin sheet metal) pulled over bolt heads.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I said the same above. That bracket doesn't go under the frame it appears to me.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Camper front tie-downs are still connected to the outriggers, which bolt to the frame.

Ouch.

That truck can haul that camper at any speed it chooses, up any grade it sees. Hit a sinkhole or a washout at speed, and look what happens. Not mexico, but I've seen truck-size holes on the Tok Cutoff where a guy might drop close to a foot, then hit the hole slope on the other end at speed.

Megacab shortbox duallys do exist, but I think that's a standard crewcab.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by 19352012
Think how much happier and richer they'd be if they drove a Camry and slept in buildings.

Dang straight. Every time I think I want a camper of some sort, reality jumps up and slaps me in the head. I'd need a bigger pickup, (more money, more insurance, higher fuel bills) vs. sleeping in a real bed, with a decent bathroom I don't have to empty later.

I second-the-motion!!

Nothing like a nice long hot shower and comfortable king size bed to sleep in after a hard day's bouncing around on the road. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vek
Camper front tie-downs are still connected to the outriggers, which bolt to the frame.

Ouch.

That truck can haul that camper at any speed it chooses, up any grade it sees. Hit a sinkhole or a washout at speed, and look what happens. Not mexico, but I've seen truck-size holes on the Tok Cutoff where a guy might drop close to a foot, then hit the hole slope on the other end at speed.

Megacab shortbox duallys do exist, but I think that's a standard crewcab.
I have an '08 Dodge quad cab. My rear doors are considerably narrower than these. Depending on the year, they also have a Crew Cab with either bed or the Megacab with a 6'4" bed. The crew and megas have very similar doors.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,940
Posts18,498,902
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.