Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Curious what's the opinions on the different brands of brass.

So I'm looking at helping reload for my Dad 6.5 grendel, the one sight up here in Canada lists Nosler brass at $139.99 for 50. Their is also Lapua brass and 100 for $184.

Is their a difference of quality between different brands? Which brands should I avoid?

Proud Left hander!
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lapua is really good.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Lapua hands down.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
lapua , alpha , peterson, all top tier

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MCMark

So I'm looking at helping reload for my Dad 6.5 grendel, the one sight up here in Canada lists Nosler brass at $139.99 for 50. Their is also Lapua brass and 100 for $184.

Is their a difference of quality between different brands? Which brands should I avoid?

Geezuz, I need to set up a smuggling ring to Canada.......

Sig brass has been very good to me so far but not sure they make it in Grendel. Not in the same league as Lupua, but still good stuff.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Geezuz, I need to set up a smuggling ring to Canada.......

Sig brass has been very good to me so far but not sure they make it in Grendel. Not in the same league as Lupua, but still good stuff.

Yeah, you guys down there got it good for sure! laugh

Proud Left hander!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nosler can be excellent brass. But Lapua is known for its quality and consistency. In your situation, Lapua is also the better buy. No question on buying the Lapua. It's top tier brass, as mentioned above.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yep, of those two options, Lapua is the better choice. For the Grendel, if you can find some original Alexander Arms brass, that is good quality as well. Starline is also good if you can find it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have found several brands of brass have improved considerably in the past several years--not doubt due to demand for better brass.

Wrote about this in Handloader, and then updated the article as Chapter 28 in The Big Book of Gun Gack III, published a couple of years ago. Will just say that there are several brands of brass that are very good these days, including some that many handloaders still disparage.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I don't know about any to avoid, but I have used Lapua and Starline brass with no problems. Rusty Wood in Mission, BC has Starline in stock at $108.50/100

https://www.rustywood.ca/shop/starline-brass-cases/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You shooting the Grendel out of a bolt or gas gun? If gas, get the cheapest brass you can find - as it’s going to beat up or lost long before you can take advantage a high quality brass brings.

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Stammster
You shooting the Grendel out of a bolt or gas gun? If gas, get the cheapest brass you can find - as it’s going to beat up or lost long before you can take advantage a high quality brass brings.
CZ 527. Can't hunt with AR's up here frown

Proud Left hander!
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

I don't know about any to avoid, but I have used Lapua and Starline brass with no problems. Rusty Wood in Mission, BC has Starline in stock at $108.50/100

Proud Left hander!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Avoid the Winchester red and black bag stuff. It's garbage. Lapua is good, as we all know. So is older R-P and really old Winchester: WW SUPER. Sig Sauer brass is great, as is Starline (rifle and pistol). There has been mixed reports on Hornady, but I have shot a ton of it with no issues. Norma is known for being slightly "soft" and FC (Federal) has been known to lose primer pockets prematurely. Other brass that you you run into with some factory ammo like GFL (Fiocchi) I've found a lot of off center primer pockets. S&B brass seems to hold up well. PPV is borderline, as I've seen a bunch that was garbage, but some guys love the schidt.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Glad I could help.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I’ve used both Lapua and Starline brass in my CZ-527 6.5 Grendel. I’m very pleased with the Starline brass, enough so that I purchased more of it. I don’t think you’ll be at a disadvantage using Starline rather than Lapua and I have both. My most accurate load to date in my CZ-527 6.5 Grendel uses Starline brass.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No issues with Hornady in my Howa, and it shoots very nicely. Just cranked out 50 of my standard load in Starline, which is a bit lighter, and expect to test them soon. If, as expected there are no issues, I’ll grab more at the earliest opportunity, as the Hornady is on its 3rd and 4th loading in some cases.

This is typical, and good enough for scrawny public land whitetails:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/16/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have found several brands of brass have improved considerably in the past several years--not doubt due to demand for better brass.

Wrote about this in Handloader, and then updated the article as Chapter 28 in The Big Book of Gun Gack III, published a couple of years ago. Will just say that there are several brands of brass that are very good these days, including some that many handloaders still disparage.

I’m not seeing it. I picked up some R-P brass for my 338 a year or so ago because it was all I could find at the time. Almost unusable. Well it is unusable without bushing dies.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
3/4 loadings isn't a thing. Anneal every 3/5 firings and you should get 20 plus firings from brass

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Stammster
CZ 527. Can't hunt with AR's up here frown
unfortunately won't be able to own ARs soon either. Something needs to be done but I digress

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,253
Posts18,504,708
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.