Hop To
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Weird how so many guys who say they'd shoot any deer alive anywhere in the Country with a .223 also own and deer hunt with 7mm-08's, .308's, .280's, .358's etc. etc.. and many will even proclaim one of those bigger cartridges as their favorite deer cartridge. If the .223 is so great, you'd think it would be their favorite deer cartridge and all their deer rifles would be chambered for it.

The OP's question wasn't what's the best but twist it however works for ya.

Original question:
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.
The .22LR is "adequate" under certain circumstances if you can hit where you aim. I proved that on the first deer I ever killed when I was 12 years old and several more thereafter.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Weird how so many guys who say they'd shoot any deer alive anywhere in the Country with a .223 also own and deer hunt with 7mm-08's, .308's, .280's, .358's etc. etc.. and many will even proclaim one of those bigger cartridges as their favorite deer cartridge. If the .223 is so great, you'd think it would be their favorite deer cartridge and all their deer rifles would be chambered for it.

Original question:
Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
You bring up an excellent point. There are many circumstances where I deem a 223 to absolutely be the best for a deer hunt. Which is why the 223 gets hunted. If I thought something else was better, I'd be an idiot to keep hunting and advocating for hunting with a 223.
What would some of those circumstances be ? What advantages does it offer if you don't have a shoulder as tender as that of a young, virgin maiden and can shoot something bigger just as well ?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Original question:
You bring up an excellent point. There are many circumstances where I deem a 223 to absolutely be the best for a deer hunt. Which is why the 223 gets hunted. If I thought something else was better, I'd be an idiot to keep hunting and advocating for hunting with a 223.
What would some of those circumstances be ? What advantages does it offer if you don't have a shoulder as tender as that of a young, virgin maiden and can shoot something bigger just as well ?
You are making it into an argument about masculinity?

It ain't all about you and me.

Speaking of childishness...that's one of those circumstances: I don't demand my 11 year old, 70 lb daughter "be a man," and shoot 150gr bullets at 3 grand+ to kill 150lb meat buck at 80 yards. Or my rather skinny nephews, who don't shoot often and don't like recoil. Or my 10 year old son, when he was terrified of recoil. Drama-free, no flinch-building, no trauma. Just dead animals and everyone all smiles. The fuucking BEST.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Original question:
Winning hearts and minds.
LOL

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Original question:

Speaking of childishness...that's one of those circumstances: I don't demand my 11 year old, 70 lb daughter "be a man," and shoot 150gr bullets at 3 grand+ to kill 150lb meat buck at 80 yards. Or my rather skinny nephews, who don't shoot often and don't like recoil. Or my 10 year old son, when he was terrified of recoil. Drama-free, no flinch-building, no trauma. Just dead animals and everyone all smiles. The fuucking BEST.
I believe I said if you don't have a tender shoulder dumb ass. Yes it will get the job done for someone who can't tolerate much recoil. For someone who can, I don't see it offering any advantage over something bigger.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Raferman

Original question:
Winning hearts and minds.
LOL
That has never been of any concern to me.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Why?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Original question:

Advantage? EVERYONE shoots a 223 better than they do a higher recoiling round.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Original question:

I believe I said if you don't have a tender shoulder dumb ass. Yes it will get the job done for someone who can't tolerate much recoil. For someone who can, I don't see it offering any advantage over something bigger.
Let's do a shoot-off at 250yards from field positions. You bring the biggest gun you shoot at deer, and I'll bring a 223.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Original question:

I know I do. It requires far less focus, and it's just a less violent experience. I can shoot, shoot again, shoot again, with ease and precision. I can even see my impacts if I do focus.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Original question:

I can shoot tighter groups with my 6.5 Creedmoor or my .243 than with my .223.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some of us hunt with a few tags. When I'm deer hunting, I'm elk hunting more often than not. And while I think a 223 is plenty for any deer I'll see at close- and mid-range, I've killed lots of deer at ranges where I'd rather use something with more power. So there's two reasons. Seems to me your thinking is quite limited by your own experience.
I've probably killed more deer with .22 cf's than most here, starting with a .222 back in 1991, the .223 in '92 and the .22-250 in '94. I've killed well over 200 deer at ranges from hard off the muzzle to 440 yards. I've killed them from tree stands, ground blinds, still hunting, tracking, deer drives and spot and stalk. The .223 works surprisingly well. It is not my favorite deer cartridge and I don't think it's the best either.

Pictures?

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Original question:

I know I do. It requires far less focus, and it's just a less violent experience. I can shoot, shoot again, shoot again, with ease and precision. I can even see my impacts if I do focus.
How many times do you need to shoot your deer ? I killed three this season and only shot three times. Didn't notice any recoil on any of them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Advantage? EVERYONE shoots a 223 better than they do a higher recoiling round.[/quote]

Gotta raise the BS flag on that comment!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shoot very well with cartridges up to 30-06/7MM remington mag. There is no reason not to be able to make good hits with a 7-08. I have shot many feral hogs with 223 rifles. A bunch of deer. The hogs, some got away or were allowed to expire wherever they fell. A lot died pretty quick because I often used the 55 gr. FMJ and went for solid spine, neck,head hits. Might sound crazy but the XM193 round was a pretty good general purpose round. That said my absolute favorite deer or hog guns are the 7x57 and 7-08. In some parts of Texas and a lot of wildlife management people use the AR15 for all the gun chores. For me to say no for the 223 as a deer gun I can't do it , just that I like just a little more gun. I consider the 243 a step up and much better for over 150 yard shooting.

Dog I rescued in January

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No!

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If that is all you can afford------STILL NO !

Hip

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Original question:

How many times do you need to shoot your deer ? I killed three this season and only shot three times. Didn't notice any recoil on any of them.
Depends on the deer, the range, the conditions, etc. Nearly always just once, but I'm not the one doing most of the shooting for most of the hunting I do anymore. Imagine that....it's not about me. I didn't even kill a deer this year. I got others on their deer.

Every deer that has been killed by 223 where I have been present has required one shot. And none made it out of sight before dropping. I don't even know how many now. At least in the 20's now. Most of those have been various kids. But I killed several with various bullets before I started advocating that the kids use them.

What an absurd discussion. I'm going to bring Bell into it, just to top it off. The reasons I advocate for using a 223 for animals up to 300 lbs and out to 300 yds are exactly the same reasons Bell advocated using small, light, handy, easy-recoiling, easy-to-shoot rifles at animals that weigh more than 50 deer each.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Some of us hunt with a few tags. When I'm deer hunting, I'm elk hunting more often than not. And while I think a 223 is plenty for any deer I'll see at close- and mid-range, I've killed lots of deer at ranges where I'd rather use something with more power. So there's two reasons. Seems to me your thinking is quite limited by your own experience.
I've probably killed more deer with .22 cf's than most here, starting with a .222 back in 1991, the .223 in '92 and the .22-250 in '94. I've killed well over 200 deer at ranges from hard off the muzzle to 440 yards. I've killed them from tree stands, ground blinds, still hunting, tracking, deer drives and spot and stalk. The .223 works surprisingly well. It is not my favorite deer cartridge and I don't think it's the best either.

Pictures?

Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222Sako, 257wthbylover, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 264mag, 65 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.