Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Rule number 1 ---- only pay with credit cards.

?s --- see rule #1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Qualify, Qualify, Qualify your taxidermist, if you never worked with him before!

I was ripped off in a different manner on one of my bears.

I killed an absolutely beautiful bear he scores 19 14/16" just over 500 lbs. He had a beautiful pure white crest and his hair was so black it looked blue and was thick and perfect. Because he was so nice I decided to do a shoulder mount with him.

So I contacted this taxidermist I never used, he said he did great shoulder mounts, that all of his clients were very happy and his rate was $1,000.00, this is back in 1991. So I agreed to let him do the work. 50% upfront, the remainder when I picked it up. This was the 1st shoulder mount I had ever done and was inexperienced and GOOGLE Ratings were not online yet.

So I go and pick up my bear, pretty excited of course. When I saw the bear, I thought to myself wow I don't remember him looking that small???? I did not think to inspect the mount in detail and headed back to my office with the mount, the whole time thinking "I don't remember him looking that small?????"

When I got to my office I started to inspect the bear and that is when I noticed all the overlapping and skin folds under his legs. That is when I figured out that he mounted my beautiful bear on a form of a bear that was 1/2 the size of my actual bear and I got reallllllllyyyyyyy, pisssssssssed offfffff! I was so mad in fact I wanted to punch the guy out.

So when I calmed down I called the taxidermist and asked him why he mounted my beautiful bear on such a small form????? He told me that he was going bankrupt and that was the only form he had left. So after a few choice words I hung up the phone.

Every time I looked at that mount I got upset and wanted to go to his home and punch his lights out!

So this is what I learned: Qualify, Qualify, Qualify your taxidermist!

Look at their GOOGLE Rating.
Make sure he/she has a brick and mortar building, with lots of work in the progress.
Inspect the work they have done and are in the process of doing.
Ask for client phone numbers and references, so you can call them and speak with them in person.

If you don't like what you hear or see, do not give them your animal otherwise you will live to regret it like I did. The picture below is that bear. It was so bad I didn't even hang it and hid it in my storage room.

KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/17/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of shady garage taxidermists out there.
I only deal with the best.
It's such a horrible feeling to take a trophy animal and entrust it to an inferior taxidermist and then act shocked when the crap comes back that you saved a few bucks on comes back to roost.

The best are like Van Gough or DaVinci.
Nothing says you get what you pay for like taxidermy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather pay twice as much for something that I like than half as much for something I dont.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
It was Chris Frye Taxidermy from Dushore Pa. The guy only had one review: "Don't even think about it! This fraud took $300 deposit from me 5 years ago for a coyote mount. I have heard every excuse from family illness to extreme fatigue and no response whatsoever. I'm a pretty easy going guy. if he had troubles, i could be patient. But an honest reputable man would have owned up, made an effort to refund my money or get the job on to someone else. Even got the chamber of commerce involved. That prompted a half-hearted response from him , but then he fell off the map again. If he even still has a business it exists to rip off flatlanders. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY".

I know this guy

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
could be a really bad taxiderminist or if there's 10 and they're close to the same time frame it could be the tannery [bleep] up somewhere.. but you would think he would be doing his best to do what it took to work with the tannery to correct things if he's a good guy

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So he screwed your over $300, 5 years ago.
Now you went back tondouble up?
I’m sorry for your luck friend.
But this one is all on you..::something about sharp tool in shed comes to mind.

Last edited by Dre; 12/17/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Salmonella
A lot of shady garage taxidermists out there.
I only deal with the best.
It's such a horrible feeling to take a trophy animal and entrust it to an inferior taxidermist and then act shocked when the crap comes back that you saved a few bucks on comes back to roost.

The best are like Van Gough or DaVinci.
Nothing says you get what you pay for like taxidermy.

Just dayom.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Someone wanted a taxidermed coyote lmao

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dre

That wasn't his review, it was another guy's.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agreed. There are taxidermists, and there are taxidermy artists.

Originally Posted by Salmonella
I'd rather pay twice as much for something that I like than half as much for something I dont.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by Dre

Thanks for pointing that out to Dre.......seems he's the one who needs a resharpening!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry

A guy could want worse.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what a great Shoulder Mount looks like, I qualified the heck out of him before he got my deer!

KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/17/22.

KB

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre

Thanks for pointing that out to Dre.......seems he's the one who needs a resharpening!

My bad. I should have re read that and I did miss the part, that it was the one and only review.
Apologies.

Still you should have done your home work on a trophy like that.
Passing the sharpening stone back to you.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
It was Chris Frye Taxidermy from Dushore Pa. The guy only had one review: "Don't even think about it! This fraud took $300 deposit from me 5 years ago for a coyote mount. I have heard every excuse from family illness to extreme fatigue and no response whatsoever. I'm a pretty easy going guy. if he had troubles, i could be patient. But an honest reputable man would have owned up, made an effort to refund my money or get the job on to someone else. Even got the chamber of commerce involved. That prompted a half-hearted response from him , but then he fell off the map again. If he even still has a business it exists to rip off flatlanders. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY".

If his one review said that, why on earth would you give him any business?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

My bad. I should have re read that and I did miss the part, that it was the one and only review.
Apologies.

Still you should have done your home work on a trophy like that.
Passing the sharpening stone back to you.

Wasn't my bear and I didn't lose any money....go back and read the original post and keep your sharpening stone, you need it.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Wasn't my bear and I didn't give him any business. I just found the one review (yesterday) that was left by some other guy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Wasn't my bear and I didn't give him any business. I just found the one review (yesterday) that was left by some other guy.
Some folks comprehension skills are lacking.

Pretty clear was your SIL bear and also clear the post was a review of the taxidermist in question.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/17/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smallfry
Kind of the same thoughts of mine with a whitetail deer.

A 180" deer has 180" of horn, has nothing else other than that over a smooth headed yearling doe yet guys spend $600+ to have one mounted.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/17/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 30 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.