Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
Originally Posted by Rolly
Why would I use a rifle of choice that was unnecessarily heavy, ungainly, very muzzle heavy, AND ugly ?

Spot On! ^^^

Exactly!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
They clash with red and black plaid. That's why roundoak's club prohibited them.

Where are you in MT? I have some real close friends around Huson just west of Missoula on 90.
About 350 miles down I-90 to the east of there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The damage done by one to maybe three shots I might fire per year while deer hunting pales in comparison to the four decades of abuse I suffered working in telephone equipment rooms. Waiting for the letter from the class-action lawyers………

Every range I use requires EP all the time, regardless of what you’re shooting. I’m always prepared to double up as well when the real boomers come out. Don’t dove hunt very often, but last time I did, I plugged up, as there’s no downside for doves. Next time I go upland hunting, I’m going to try some e-plugs that let me hear what’s going on, maybe even better than usual. I may try them out for deer as well. To me, that seems like a much more practical choice than a cumbersome and expensive device that also requires government blessing and paying a hefty tax. Don’t need recoil reduction, and think the claims of increased accuracy are probably true in some cases, but doubt it’s universally true, and suspect the opposite may be true as well at times. Finally, I don’t feel that I need to confuse the critters I shoot at, the rifle is advantage enough.

OTOH, if I were hunting on private land, with perhaps neighbors around that might be put off by gunfire, or involved in serious varmint control for crop or livestock protection, a can would be a great idea, and I’d invest in one. Already have at least three rifles that came threaded. So far, neither opportunity exists, so a can remains a useless gadget for me, though I very much appreciate the guys who use them on their minor cannons while shooting close by me and my popguns.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The damage done by one to maybe three shots I might fire per year while deer hunting pales in comparison to the four decades of abuse I suffered working in telephone equipment rooms. Waiting for the letter from the class-action lawyers………

Every range I use requires EP all the time, regardless of what you’re shooting. I’m always prepared to double up as well when the real boomers come out. Don’t dove hunt very often, but last time I did, I plugged up, as there’s no downside for doves. Next time I go upland hunting, I’m going to try some e-plugs that let me hear what’s going on, maybe even better than usual. I may try them out for deer as well. To me, that seems like a much more practical choice than a cumbersome and expensive device that also requires government blessing and paying a hefty tax. Don’t need recoil reduction, and think the claims of increased accuracy are probably true in some cases, but doubt it’s universally true, and suspect the opposite may be true as well at times. Finally, I don’t feel that I need to confuse the critters I shoot at, the rifle is advantage enough.

OTOH, if I were hunting on private land, with perhaps neighbors around that might be put off by gunfire, or involved in serious varmint control for crop or livestock protection, a can would be a great idea, and I’d invest in one. Already have at least three rifles that came threaded. So far, neither opportunity exists, so a can remains a useless gadget for me, though I very much appreciate the guys who use them on their minor cannons while shooting close by me and my popguns.

You just typed out tons of words to say you don’t have any experience with a suppressor and don’t want one ….lol. You might try a little experience to go along with your opinion. It could perhaps make a difference.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Suppressors are like American Express, don't leave home without it!

Why would I use a rifle of choice that was unnecessarily heavy, ungainly, very muzzle heavy, AND ugly ?

Spot On! ^^^

Exactly!

They don't have to be any of that at all. You're just imagining a suppressor screwed on the end of yor favorite hunting rifle. Plenty of factory rifles out there that can keep you 8 lbs or less suppressed. I find the ugly is outweighed in what the suppressor does for me.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This one works on everything from 22lr to 300WM..........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put my evaluation of a can in context. I rented the camp rifle while in the Caprivi Strip on a dangerous game hunt. Sometimes we were in thick stuff and sometimes not. A couple of the days logged 8 miles or a bit less. The rifle was stock from the factory with I would guess a 24 inch barrel. Add 12 or so ounces to the end and another 10 inches for the can and you should be able to understand my opinion a bit more. Also I always have a pair of those plastic pinch type hearing protectors around my neck that I use when I have time. So yes, the can worked, was ungainly, unhandy, heavy and UGLY. I did get a 44 inch buff with it however. No, I won’t be buying one for my own rifles.

Rolly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by PatB
I have two of them and I never use them. They are heavy, long and cumbersome. I do walk a lot so there's that. Just another opinion.

There is that.
I've had three rifles bobbed to 16". With suppressor, they're the exact length they were before being cut.

You didn't need that extra 200-300 fps.

⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️

Tell me your age without telling me your age.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You just typed out tons of words to say you don’t have any experience with a suppressor and don’t want one ….lol. You might try a little experience to go along with your opinion. It could perhaps make a difference.

Never sucked a d*ck either, but I’m certain I don’t want to…….no experience necessary, lol

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RHutch
OK, Thanks but I'm not sold.

I do like to be careful of my ears but don't fire enough shots unprotected to justify more weight and something that is contrary to my minimalist nature.

It only takes one shot to mess up one’s hearing. BTDT

Ignore the threads on the barrel if you’re to dense to try a better mousetrap.

"Huh? What did he say?!"

Noise-induced hearing loss is real and cannot be cured. And it can happen with every shot, depending on sound pressure levels. To state that one doesn't shoot enough to protect their hearing is silly.

At the very least, don't state that you are careful about your ears then shoot unprotected and question the use of a can.

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/17/22.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s about function not looks. Personally I don’t see it as ugly but it’s only on the rifle while in use and literally goes on or off in two seconds.

Most hunting rifles have barrels longer than needed to avoid severe muzzle blast. Suppressed rifles equal shorter barrels. A .308 Winchester with an 18” barrel isn’t giving much practical velocity and none that actually matters for anything inside of 300 plus yards. It isn’t much longer than a non suppressed 22” barrel and will balance fine. If anything it has the added bonus of taking the can off and carrying it in a daypack to and from a stand sight making the rifle even more compact and lightweight to carry when not anticipating game.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I do like to be careful of my ears but don't fire enough shots unprotected to justify more weight and something that is contrary to my minimalist nature.

"Huh? What did he say?!"

Noise-induced hearing loss is real and cannot be cured. And it can happen with every shot, depending on sound pressure levels. To state that one doesn't shoot enough to protect their hearing is silly.

At the very least, don't state that you are careful about your ears then shoot unprotected and question the use of a can.

"an armed society is a polite society"
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 4th_point

"Huh? What did he say?!"

BullShit, Ive been killing deer and small game for 50 years and my hearing is very good, and yes, I do take care of my ears very carefully except when actually hunting. Funny how we never hear the shot when deer hunting. Got lost in the big woods once and used my 357 for signaling my buddy and that was a different story as the 357 blast from a 4" barrel is very caustic, even my mid-range reloads at that! Still nothing wrong with my hearing.

Worked in a Steel Mill for ten years, ever hear a couple tons of steel tubes being dropped in a cradle? Normal earplugs were furnished and utilized by me at all times but some guys didn't. I even wear protection when mowing grass!

I do have a pair of Peltor hearing protectors that magnify normal sounds but still protect from loud noises but have never worn them in the field!

Last edited by TreeMutt; 12/18/22.

"an armed society is a polite society"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a few walnut/blued sporters than I don’t intend to thread, along with a few magnum sporters that are already at 24” of barrel length, but everything else in the safe is fair game for possibly being threaded. Of course, this opinion was only formed after using a suppressor in person. I watched a deer through my scope yesterday as it took a bullet and it felt liked I plinked it with a rimfire. No concern with blast or ringing my ears. I even shoot my suppressed rifles better at the range, where earpro is already on. It’s not “necessary”, but it’s rather nice, kind of like having variable magnification on a scope, or indendent suspension on an ATV.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’m not worried about aesthetics of a rifle I’m hunting with. Functionality is all that matters. I have wood and blued guns that I have no desire to thread. But they also never get taken hunting anymore because of that either.

Suppressed rifles have less recoil, muzzle rise, and noise. You will absolutely shoot better with one than without. I’ve witnessed it over and over again from people who thought they were not worth it. Or thought they had no flinch or weren’t recoil sensitive.

18-20” barrel is the sweet spot. Plenty of short and light cans on the market that aren’t 10” long and 20 oz to chose from

I can watch my impacts now with a suppressor, and can hear the bullet impact even as close as 100 yards.

My oldest son was terrified of the blast even wearing plugs and ear muffs over them. Suppressor changed all that for him

If you’re shooting one shot a year without ear pro at a deer then I guess not worth it. But we shoot close to 10 deer a year, some pigs, squirrels, coyote’s. So to me it’s worth it

Last edited by kevinJ; 12/18/22.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Never sucked a d*ck either, but I’m certain I don’t want to…….no experience necessary, lol

Haha good point. I promise I’m not trying to talk more people into them. It takes long enough to get one as it is.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by PatB
I have two of them and I never use them. They are heavy, long and cumbersome. I do walk a lot so there's that. Just another opinion.

There is that.
I've had three rifles bobbed to 16". With suppressor, they're the exact length they were before being cut.

You didn't need that extra 200-300 fps.

⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️

Tell me your age without telling me your age.

Skane, why do these conversations have to turn into a pissing match?

Odds are pretty good that I am old enough to have an opinion, no?

Don't care if you and others don't like my opinion, you's is just as valuable.. Honor and integrity with politeness goes a long way in this world.

Last edited by PatB; 12/18/22.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I’m not worried about aesthetics of a rifle I’m hunting with. Functionality is all that matters. I have wood and blued guns that I have no desire to thread. But they also never get taken hunting anymore because of that either.

Suppressed rifles have less recoil, muzzle rise, and noise. You will absolutely shoot better with one than without. I’ve witnessed it over and over again from people who thought they were not worth it. Or thought they had no flinch or weren’t recoil sensitive.

18-20” barrel is the sweet spot. Plenty of short and light cans on the market that aren’t 10” long and 20 oz to chose from

I can watch my impacts now with a suppressor, and can hear the bullet impact even as close as 100 yards.

My oldest son was terrified of the blast even wearing plugs and ear muffs over them. Suppressor changed all that for him

If you’re shooting one shot a year without ear pro at a deer then I guess not worth it. But we shoot close to 10 deer a year, some pigs, squirrels, coyote’s. So to me it’s worth it

I just had the same discussion with a good friend who is wanting to put a new rifle together. He said so what you’re saying is if I build the rifle with a suppressor in mind and decide I don’t like it I will then need to rebarrel with a longer barrel? I said yes. If you put this rifle together and decide you would prefer it to have more recoil more muzzle blast more muzzle jump and think The louder the better you would need to rebarrel for balance reasonings. Without the can the rifle will be too butt heavy. He said yea ok I get your point….lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have solid reasons for going suppressed, and I wouldn’t try and talk you out of that. You definitely went the extra mile for your son; many would have gone with trying to coax or berate him. Good on you for that. I simply don’t any reason at present, so go with ear protection and occasionally run without that while hunting. I’m fast approaching 71, and I’m still waiting for the disastrous damage that some have claimed will occur to appear. Didn't even have muffs until I was about 18, and that pair of B&Ls was the first pair I ever saw in use by anyone.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On suppressors' contribution to accuracy:

Many shooters note that they will indeed be more accurate suppressed than non-suppressed. There are many reasons for this.

First, they are adding weight to the muzzle end of the gun which means that it resists being pulled off target more than a naked muzzle. Reduced noise and reduced recoil also allow the shooter to maintain natural point of aim by reducing recoil and blast anticipation. Additionally, the suppressor is acting as a harmonic dampener, resulting in more consistent barrel whip. In some instances, the improvement is in shootability. Other times it can actually keep a barrel better in tune. I have seen some barrels actually perform worse with a suppressor. This is because the weight took it out of tune. A rifle with a load worked up with a suppressor will almost always be more accurate than the same rifle with a load worked up with a bare muzzle. If your rifle shoots worse with a suppressor, re-work your load and it will more often than not be more accurate than it was with a naked muzzle.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 406_SBC, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.