Campfire Ranger
C
Really? How is that?

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Argumentative cesspool? This must be the kindler gentler campfire.

As I said before, use the search feature and pull up some old threads from years back. So much knowledge is contained on this board that it is almost silly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a huge difference between having a loaded gun in a vehicle,and hunting with a round in the chamber.

Really? How is that?

When I am out hunting,my intent is to shoot a game animal,so there is a reason to have a round in the chamber.When you drive up to a ferry terminal in a vehicle,is your intent to shoot something or someone?If it is:

please stay the [bleep] away from me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Argumentative cesspool? This must be the kindler gentler campfire.

:-) I'm just a kinder, gentler arguer I guess!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm sure the fella kept a loaded rifle in the rig for the drive to the ferry so that if a buck happened to be on the side of the road, he could shoot it. The point is that hot guns can discharge while in the rig or out hunting. By simply keeping a round out of the chamber you can completely eliminate that risk.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By simply keeping a round out of the chamber you can completely eliminate that risk.

The only way to "completely eliminate that risk" is to never load the firearm.Of course you won't shoot much game with an empty gun. grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's so simple. Hunt with safety off, empty chamber. When game is spotted (even in tight cover) instinctively chamber round while ID'ing game and making sure you can make a safe shot without killing somebody. If it's safe, raise rifle while left thumb pops forward scope cap and right thumb pops rear cover. By the time the rifle reaches your shoulder you are ready to aim and shoot if it's an animal you want to take and you feel comfortable about the shot. If it's not an animal you want, simply unchamber the round and stick it back in the belly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Steelhead
and more dangerous.

Indeed, there are some guys who shouldn't be walking around loaded.....or one in the chamber wink

I carry hot--always have.

Casey

+1 to that..not gonna change...dont like it..dont come to Tx.

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

My bins wear them.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't fathom how 'a missed opportunity' is that big a deal, nor do I understand how one can't get a round in the chamber.

Course Texas and some other locales I'm assuming one is sitting on his arse and not navigating second growth or clear cuts, so from the arse point of view it don't seem like a problem.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
To the subject at hand, watched my pard shoulder and flip caps this morning without a hint of problem. Course he don't depend on telethon money to scratch out a leaving either.......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow looks like I came back to a bomb going off in here. Guys..there's just no need for this. I agree with Jeff though. Just because I still hunt with a round in the chamber does not make me dangerous, sorry if you think so. There's never a round in the chamber when another human being is around me. I can see if you hunt in the wide open, then fine but I was NOT referring to hunting in the wide open spaces.I'm talking about jump shots in the thick that catch you off guard. Kinda like a rabbit flushing right before you step on him.

In my previous post I was referring to the solid color of the caps causing you to miss an opportunity for lack of time...That's all really, but if you add flipping the caps open + chambering a round after you just jumped an animal that you have 1/2 of a sec to take. You'll NEVER get that animal. Sorry. It may work for you 99% of the time but there will come a time that you will lose an opportunity and it might just be that big record that you've been after your whole life. If you are OK with that great for you. But in the end this post was started to ask for opinions on Butler Creek Caps not if you hunt with a round in the chamber or not. I gave my opinion... some of you don't agree just because you don't use what I use..OH WELL..

You can all do what you want and use what you want. I assure you there's nothing wrong with my coordination, shooting ability, or hunting methods. If you think so you are seriously mistaken. I only post when I feel like I have some info or experience to help others succeed or if I am asking for info.myself. I don't make useless attacks on others.

Good Hunting....

And as always.....To Each Their Own....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thanks for the laugh....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the approval...tend to be on my a.. most times and not trudging through the undergrowth.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You didn't need to mention that, it's a natural assumption.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FWIW, my hunting is always done with round chambered, safety on, and I have used the "see-through" covers to take game--no issues, no incidents.

For me, I don't think that whether you chamber or do not chamber a round has much bearing on whether or not you are safe in the woods. Just chalk me up as one of "those" guys who was brought up under the presumption that simply holding a firearm incurred the unlimited responsibility of its use. That being said, I think the overall opinion of most hunters is do hunt by whatever means you prefer so long as it is done sincerely and SAFELY.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sincerely don't help things much. I hear what you are saying, but one doesn't always have control of there gun in this country....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be a responsible adult in gun handling..regardless of where you live..and I forgive your arrogance. This gent had no problem with the Weatherby being hot...and a Nosler coming his way

Attached Images
8660-Ken#2002.JPG (0 Bytes, 214 downloads)
Last edited by Ken14; 11/10/07.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've taken 5 teenagers hunting this fall. When I tell them not to chamber a round until they are ready to shoot they all said they never hunted with a loaded gun. One even said "only an idiot would walk around with a loaded rifle".

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've taken 5 teenagers hunting this fall. When I tell them not to chamber a round until they are ready to shoot they all said they never hunted with a loaded gun. One even said "only an idiot would walk around with a loaded rifle".

`Nuff said.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.