Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 26 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 25 26
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve killed a few with a .223 and my son shot his first deer ever several years ago. All 4 were bang…flops. 50grain GMX and a couple were black hills 69 grn HP

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
My younger son took his first deer 5 years ago with the .243 Hornady reduced-recoil loads, which have about the same energy as a .223. One shot at 130 yards, and it dropped in its tracks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That smile says it all. Got several pics of my son with that same shiit-eating grin. I treasure those moments more than any kill I ever made.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
One of my first hunts as a teenager was close to Uvalde Texas. While deer hunting a big 275 lb Russian boar came from my right to left offering a trotting 300 yd broadside shot. My dad taught me how to shoot and gave me plenty of opportunities to practice at a 300 yd rifle range close to home. I was carrying a model 70 30-06 with handloaded 200gr Sierra Gamekings. I'm glad my dad didn't stick a 223 in my hands prior to that hunt. Didn't see any deer that hunt, but I came home with bacon. For heavier game at longer range there's no way I'd choose to carry a varmint round.
The 30-06 was designed as an anti-personnel combat round. Just like the 223. Hmmm. I see you chose a different bullet than that for which the cartridge was designed, to capitalize on its potential as a hunting cartridge. Exactly what I do with 223. Interesting. Varmint round? You pulled that out of your ass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
One of my first hunts as a teenager was close to Uvalde Texas. While deer hunting a big 275 lb Russian boar came from my right to left offering a trotting 300 yd broadside shot. My dad taught me how to shoot and gave me plenty of opportunities to practice at a 300 yd rifle range close to home. I was carrying a model 70 30-06 with handloaded 200gr Sierra Gamekings. I'm glad my dad didn't stick a 223 in my hands prior to that hunt. Didn't see any deer that hunt, but I came home with bacon. For heavier game at longer range there's no way I'd choose to carry a varmint round.

How does shooting a pig with a 30-06 relate to the question at hand in this thread? crazy

6mm CM on the left and .223 on the right.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Both worked just fine with similar shot placement.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/17/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I wonder how some of YOUS GUYS with up to 26,000 posts have time to SH*T much less hunt!

Hip

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
If that is all you can afford------STILL NO !

Hip
I wonder how some of YOUS GUYS with up to 26,000 posts have time to SH*T much less hunt!

Hip
Seems like you're just looking to criticize others. Which is a quick way to get your post count into the thousands. Kudos.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes

PennDog

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My niece got her first deer with a 223. I sighted in my neighbors 223 so his nephew could shoot a deer on his farm and he got one. It works, and obviously very well from all of these posts. It's always been a varmint/fur cartridge in my hands. My dad's favorite cartridge for deer is the 22-250 Rem. It's ok as long as the proper bullets are used. I wouldn't use fragmenting bullets as intended for varmints on anything that would be eaten. Only once have I bit down on a chunk of lead in a perfectly good venison roast. After that I've been very particular about what bullets get used for deer. The newer/better bullets have changed the game and the 223 of the 80s and 90s isn't the same as what's available today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no doubt that if the bullet is placed in the boiler room behind the shoulder that a .223 Rem will kill any deer alive out to 250 yards. They aren't bullet proof. If I were to do it it would be a fast twisted gun with a heavier that "standard" bullet. Or at least twisted fast enough to reliably stabilize a 60 gr. Nosler Partition. It wouldn't be what I choose for anything other than broadside or quartering away shots. Which is why I don't hunt with one. They will kill deer, no doubt. Will they kill a deer under less that good conditions? That's I'm not so sure about. But then again, I've never tried.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It wouldn’t be my first choice but with a proper bullet I wouldn’t feel under gunned. Shot placement beats raw power I feel. I wouldn’t try any Texas heart shots or a hard angling away shot either. An undisturbed broadside shot would be meat on the ground.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by beretzs

Hip

I’m really at a loss in understanding how any experienced hunter that’s killed enough animals, not fathoming the .223 being adequate to kill a whitetail.

Folks need to put grandpappy’s perspectives in the rear view mirror.

Shoot, where I grew up, the 222 and 222 Mag were big medicine. Still wouldn’t give it a thought if that’s what I had or wanted to use.

Exactly. Because it worked - and people did so by trial/experience, not opinion.

My state is filled with hunters that have never killed a deer with anything but their trusty 30.06 yet still have all kinds of opinions on what won't work for killing deer.

Deer hunting is steeped in tradition here (like many places around the country). It's also steeped in a lot of bullszchit that's been passed down over the years based on opinion rather than experience. laugh

I used to hunt in a deer camp where the owner told me that I needed a 30-06 with 220 gr RN bullets for the brush shooting. Years later he made the same comment while my father and I were hanging up my buck that I had taken with a 264 120 grain X bullet. I just told him that I didn't come up there to shoot brush, I came there to shoot deer.
When my son was 9, I started him with a 223. We didn't have any success, but that was the guide's fault. Once he got older, I bought him a 243. Not because I didn't have confidence in 223, I just wanted it back.
One of these years, I'm going to see first hand what the 223 will do. A long shot where I hunt is 150 yds.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Weird how so many guys who say they'd shoot any deer alive anywhere in the Country with a .223 also own and deer hunt with 7mm-08's, .308's, .280's, .358's etc. etc.. and many will even proclaim one of those bigger cartridges as their favorite deer cartridge. If the .223 is so great, you'd think it would be their favorite deer cartridge and all their deer rifles would be chambered for it.
Some of us hunt with a few tags. When I'm deer hunting, I'm elk hunting more often than not. And while I think a 223 is plenty for any deer I'll see at close- and mid-range, I've killed lots of deer at ranges where I'd rather use something with more power. So there's two reasons. Seems to me your thinking is quite limited by your own experience.
I've probably killed more deer with .22 cf's than most here, starting with a .222 back in 1991, the .223 in '92 and the .22-250 in '94. I've killed well over 200 deer at ranges from hard off the muzzle to 440 yards. I've killed them from tree stands, ground blinds, still hunting, tracking, deer drives and spot and stalk. The .223 works surprisingly well. It is not my favorite deer cartridge and I don't think it's the best either.

Pictures?

Hahaha!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Hip

I’m really at a loss in understanding how any experienced hunter that’s killed enough animals, not fathoming the .223 being adequate to kill a whitetail.

Shoot, where I grew up, the 222 and 222 Mag were big medicine. Still wouldn’t give it a thought if that’s what I had or wanted to use.

Exactly. Because it worked - and people did so by trial/experience, not opinion.

My state is filled with hunters that have never killed a deer with anything but their trusty 30.06 yet still have all kinds of opinions on what won't work for killing deer.

Deer hunting is steeped in tradition here (like many places around the country). It's also steeped in a lot of bullszchit that's been passed down over the years based on opinion rather than experience. laugh

They’re the same guys that use 180gr so the bust the brush.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s amazing how much we all fret over this or that for killing a deer….

Amazing how people are still smoking bucks with patched round balls. You’d think they would’ve fell outta favor if they just flat sucked.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Hip

I’d bet your social security check most here hit the woods more than you.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Killed a Bull Elk Last year at 80 yrds with a 52 gr. sp .223, 2 in the ribs you could cover with a tea cup DRT. Rio7

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tzone

Hip

They’re the same guys that use 180gr so the bust the brush.

180s are too light. You need a 220 gr round nose to bust brush. That's what I've been told

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Hip
Sure thing digkPoop

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Amazing how people are still smoking bucks with patched round balls. You’d think they would’ve fell outta favor if they just flat sucked.
Patched roundballs actually hammer deer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

Patched roundballs actually hammer deer

Would you be able to tell the difference between a deer heart that was hit with a 54 caliber round ball and one that was hit with a 64 grain Nosler Bonded 223 bullet? If so, how?

Page 18 of 26 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,042
Posts18,521,112
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.