Campfire Member
O
LOL!!

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OLSKOOL
i have been handloading over 50 years now, i have killed a mess of deer with a whole lot of different calibers. our season here in SC on private land runs from Aug. 15-jan1 up until about 5 years ago there was no limit on bucks, and several does. so, in my youth i had opportunity to kill more than a plenty. and to tell you the truth there aint a nickel worth of difference from one caliber to the next in my experience, it is all about shot placement. if i had to say the best all around, it would be the 30-06,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
If they're all just as good on deer why saddle yourself with 30-06 recoil?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This question is not easy! But if I had to narrow it down to one whitetail round, it would probably be 270 out of my T3. Hand loaded Nosler ballistic tips.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My go anywhere Savage in .308 Win complete with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. It's been a tack driver for years! cool

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Amen brother but 7-08……

Have fun.....j3
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
i have been handloading over 50 years now, i have killed a mess of deer with a whole lot of different calibers. our season here in SC on private land runs from Aug. 15-jan1 up until about 5 years ago there was no limit on bucks, and several does. so, in my youth i had opportunity to kill more than a plenty. and to tell you the truth there aint a nickel worth of difference from one caliber to the next in my experience, it is all about shot placement. if i had to say the best all around, it would be the 30-06,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

30-06 recoil!!! 😂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
223, 22-250 or 243 definitely nothing bigger for deer.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by LBP

Unless longer ranges are involved, these offer velocities high enough to make a lot of bloodshot meat. Any waste of meat on a Whitetail …..is too much meat loss! JMO

Larger, slower will kill effectively without the bloodshot meat! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/18/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
well as far as recoil goes and saddling myself with it, when i shoot a deer, it is most always one time, and i can sure handle one shot, as most hunters can, so there is no issue with that at all,,,,,,,,,,,

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by LBP

Unless longer ranges are involved, these offer velocities high enough to make a lot of bloodshot meat. Any waste of meat on a Whitetail …..is too much meat loss! JMO

Although I agree in principle, that hasn't been my experience. Maybe bullets used matter more than anything.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
There’s so many sub 30 cal cartridges that will easily take a deer and handle shoulder bone if necessary .

I think the all around sweet spot is the 6.5to 7mm range

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by LBP

Although I agree in principle, that hasn't been my experience. Maybe bullets used matter more than anything.

Perhaps a bit of both! Equally placed the bloodshot will generally be greater with the higher velocities. Obviously, a highly frangible bullet while create more shallow tissue damage, whereas a heavy slow mover will make a longer wound channel. Though, the longer wound channel through tissue doesn’t necessarily mean more blood shot meat! JMO. memtb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well as far as recoil goes and saddling myself with it, when i shoot a deer, it is most always one time, and i can sure handle one shot, as most hunters can, so there is no issue with that at all,,,,,,,,,,,
If they're all just as good as each other I'm going 223

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

30-06 recoil!!! 😂 memtb
I'm glad you find it so amusing. It amounts to around 20 ft lbs. A 243 is 9

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

30-06 recoil!!! 😂 memtb
I'm glad you find it so amusing. It amounts to around 20 ft lbs. A 243 is 9

Yep! No argument there! Most hunters shoot less than a half dozen cartridges during a season of big game hunting. A duck hunter may shoot a box of shells in one outing! Chances are the shotgun has greater “felt” recoil than does the typical 30-06!

Never considered most any big game cartridge to have offensive recoil!

Obviously, if the rifleman has a shoulder issue or perhaps an eye issue whereby recoil may injure or be very painful to shoot…..a different story! memtb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
308 Remington 700 LTR

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LBP

Perhaps a bit of both! Equally placed the bloodshot will generally be greater with the higher velocities. Obviously, a highly frangible bullet while create more shallow tissue damage, whereas a heavy slow mover will make a longer wound channel. Though, the longer wound channel through tissue doesn’t necessarily mean more blood shot meat! JMO. memtb
My dogs will look at you with the saddest faces if they find out you're trying to school me on bloodshot meat reduction. One may attempt to bribe you.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by LBP

My dogs will look at you with the saddest faces if they find out you're trying to school me on bloodshot meat reduction. One may attempt to bribe you.

Now that’s funny right there! 👍 memtb

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Oh Wow ....at now 78 years old I cannot count all the rifles I've ever owned...much less liked... starting with the Sako 243 my grandfather "gave me half of" as a wedding present, and made me pay him for the other half of the money he was due, from the guy who'd borrowed $500 and never paid a dime of it, ...it was a very good thing that GF took the SAKO as collateral. 10-15 years later I got hired a couple times in the Sporting Goods Industry after we moved back to Texas from my gypsy life schlepping consumer goods in Florida, Illinois, Arkansa & the western half of Tennessee, and my wife and family living in Dallas. 1st with a territory of the eastern half of Texas with
a major sized SG warehouse 1 of 3 regional operations - Berns in Denver & the EllettBro's in Chapin SC. Then a 5 state territory of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas for Stoeger.

My very first rifle was a Springfield 03-A3 30'06 that had been "sporterized" by a bored fireman in his down time...cost me a little less than a $100 as I recall for the rifle that still had it's steel butt plate, but would shoot mil-surp ammo - a dozen rounds for a dollar kind of ammo, in the palm of your hand sized group's at 100 yards, and kick the snot out of me when I crawled the stock to see a 100 yard target thru the peep sight.

I'll have to think about this ...so look back here again if interested.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 12/19/22.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP

My kids and I have used them out to about 450 yards for the 243 and probably 350 yards for the 223 and 22-250 that takes in most deer hunting. As far as bloodshot meat if you shoot them behind the shoulder there isn’t any. On the shoulder a little I guess but the shoulders are just ground meat for us anyway.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 19 of 29 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.