Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
double barrel shotgun with dual triggers
Might be the way to go

50 shotgun shells weigh similar and are approximately the same size pkg. as 1000 22LR’s! The 22LR has far better reach! JusSay’n! memtb
But how long are you really going to be bugging out? Does one need 1,000 22 shells? Seems to me a reasonable bug out would be a week or two. Maybe my imagination is letting me down though?

I guess it depends upon the scenario! If a week or two ….most any firearm will do! Some SHTF scenarios may last for years…..a totally different approach should be considered! memtb
If I have to try to live years outdoors my azz is going to die from exposure anyway. It gets freaking cold up here
You just need enough ammo to take over the chocolate factory. Then your greatest concern will be diabetes.

That plan might have some merit.....

HR IC

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 6mmCreedmoor
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice ammo can stash for saturday wtf you gonna do on sunday...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Might be the way to go

50 shotgun shells weigh similar and are approximately the same size pkg. as 1000 22LR’s! The 22LR has far better reach! JusSay’n! memtb
But how long are you really going to be bugging out? Does one need 1,000 22 shells? Seems to me a reasonable bug out would be a week or two. Maybe my imagination is letting me down though?

I guess it depends upon the scenario! If a week or two ….most any firearm will do! Some SHTF scenarios may last for years…..a totally different approach should be considered! memtb
If I have to try to live years outdoors my azz is going to die from exposure anyway. It gets freaking cold up here

Mike, That’s why I’ve spent the past 22 years trying to get prepared in an area that I will not bug out of! There’s only one or two scenarios that would force us out…..and the location is so undesirable…..transient problems should be minimal. 3 F right now and cooling off! This is not a destination for anyone “bugging out”! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/18/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might be the way to go

Mike, That’s why I’ve spent the past 22 years trying to get prepared in an area that I will not bug out of! There’s only one or two scenarios that would force us out…..and the location is so undesirable…..transient problems should be minimal. 3 F right now and cooling off! This is not a destination for anyone “bugging out”! memtb

There's a lot to be said for being out of the way and away from the crowds. Unfortunately I am not

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Might be the way to go

There's a lot to be said for being out of the way and away from the crowds. Unfortunately I am not

It took a lot of desire and sacrifices…..but IMO, worth it! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If someone has to bug out to Winchester is there a secret knock for your door?

Asking for a friend so you don't shoot him. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

If someone has to bug out to Winchester is there a secret knock for your door?

Asking for a friend so you don't shoot him. grin

Good idea….takes a few minutes to properly disable the Claymores! 😉 memtb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm staying put. No reason to run.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am sort of amazed that the 22 Rim Fire would be considered.

When the SHTF you will be much more likely to need to defend yourself than kill bunny rabbits for food.

And the AR kills bunnys just great not to mention deer or moo cows if something really strange happens.

Realistic situations are you are heading somewhere and defense will be top of the list, not shooting small game for sustenance.

Odds are good I will have a vehicle in the very unlikely event I need bug out rather than bug in.

Pretty cold out right now and getting colder and some guy without shelter running around trying to live on rabbits won't last very long.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In this liberal world in which we live where evil abounds at every authoritarian level my plan is to not shoot anybody if there is any other Avenue that I can possibly take. Once you fire that first shot you could very possibly end up on the government's wanted or watched list neither of which would be a good position to be in IMO.

I will personally be playing the grayman approach. A 10/22 shooting subsonic ammo with a suppressor will be largely unheard and a person can carry a bunch more ammo. A 10/22 in a marksman hands into believe would be fairly deadly as well. The number one plan however is to remain unseen and unheard. Im also planning to strap myself with C4 so if somebody really wants to f with me were ALL GONNA DIE....Lol

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
This could be a decent alternative to the venerable 10/22 takedown...

https://deserttech.com/trek-22.php

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am sort of amazed that the 22 Rim Fire would be considered.

When the SHTF you will be much more likely to need to defend yourself than kill bunny rabbits for food.

And the AR kills bunnys just great not to mention deer or moo cows if something really strange happens.

Realistic situations are you are heading somewhere and defense will be top of the list, not shooting small game for sustenance.

Odds are good I will have a vehicle in the very unlikely event I need bug out rather than bug in.

Pretty cold out right now and getting colder and some guy without shelter running around trying to live on rabbits won't last very long.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Four score and many Scotches ago...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I argue with myself on this topic.

Maybe I'll just take a SS w/muffler and call it good?

Maybe I'll ask these jokers what they think?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see a lot of people running to their death , stay home if the wind / water or fire will let you. then fight your ass off for your love ones . all this bug out crapp is just making you the bug splatturd on the windshield . don't be da bugg

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 44mc
I see a lot of people running to their death , stay home if the wind / water or fire will let you. then fight your ass off for your love ones . all this bug out crapp is just making you the bug splatturd on the windshield . don't be da bugg
Stop talking sense, Florida man!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by 44mc
Stop talking sense, Florida man!

If you live in rural America somewhat in the bush I'd say yes! If you live in a big city I guess you forgot the burning down of America that liberals tend to do when they become stressed! Watch what happens when Wal-Mart runs out of food for a week. You haven't seen [bleep] yet. I'm fortunate to not libe anywhere near a big city but if I did I'd have my "bugout schit" ready to rock and roll

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are the odds Paulie comes back and answers his questions?

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]
Originally Posted by Dre
Still waiting as well.
Didn’t think Paul was a poser. Hope he comes through to bring a “bit” of insight
LoL

PaulieWalnuts has always been a poser and simply does not have any experience with any thing other than bike shorts.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I predicted it.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What are the odds Paulie comes back and answers his questions?

Originally Posted by Dre
Still waiting as well.
Didn’t think Paul was a poser. Hope he comes through to bring a “bit” of insight
LoL

PaulieWalnuts has always been a poser and simply does not have any experience with any thing other than bike shorts.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I predicted it.

Sad when you can predict guys.
He’s turning out to be a chump for sure.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'm curious as to what everyone does, that they can plan to be at home when a crisis hits? Do they never leave the house?

I'd guess that many would experience some difficulty in getting home if they were 20 miles away, in many circumstances.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
I guess I'm curious as to what everyone does, that they can plan to be at home when a crisis hits? Do they never leave the house?

I'd guess that many would experience some difficulty in getting home if they were 20 miles away, in many circumstances.
I can walk 20 miles home if need be

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not live in town . if i did I prob. have a diff. op but when I bough this spot I had this in my mind 40 plus years ago. dead end road close to the end. good fresh water well that don't need a pump /salt water in the back yard easy to cut trees to close the road. when a H. cane runs up the coast mite have 1/3 foot of salt water in the yard no body is going to wade down the road & climb over trees to get here . I think a lot of people will [ bug out ] and not make it . plan for the worst but try to stay home if you can is my OP.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (257man, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,882
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.