-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 26 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 25 26
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.223/5.56mm might also work fine on mulies.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
I'm going to try to find a big doe test sample of my own with the 77GR TMK this weekend. Hogs have been sporadic lately with all the acorns, but I'm interested in how this bullet performs at 5.56 velocity.

While I still prefer something .257 caliber or above for general purpose deer hunting, the .223 can obviously get the job done in many scenarios. 100yd deer from yesterday, broadside lung hit, good blood trail, 35yd death run, no problems on this 125lb+ whitetail. I'd do it again. Always cool to watch everything unfold through the scope, especially when it sounds like a 10/22.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by beretzs
It’s amazing how much we all fret over this or that for killing a deer….

Amazing how people are still smoking bucks with patched round balls. You’d think they would’ve fell outta favor if they just flat sucked.
Patched roundballs actually hammer deer

Would you be able to tell the difference between a deer heart that was hit with a 54 caliber round ball and one that was hit with a 64 grain Nosler Bonded 223 bullet? If so, how?
Not necessarily

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm going to try to find a big doe test sample of my own with the 77GR TMK this weekend. Hogs have been sporadic lately with all the acorns, but I'm interested in how this bullet performs at 5.56 velocity.

While I still prefer something .257 caliber or above for general purpose deer hunting, the .223 can obviously get the job done in many scenarios. 100yd deer from yesterday, broadside lung hit, good blood trail, 35yd death run, no problems on this 125lb+ whitetail. I'd do it again. Always cool to watch everything unfold through the scope, especially when it sounds like a 10/22.

It really makes it fun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very cool JPro. Looks like it worked well.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like that bullet has garnered a good reputation on game in recent years and I hope to keep testing it. The Kid said it works alright and I think he might indeed be correct. I certainly hope more test subjects present themselves in the coming months.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sounds like that bullet has garnered a good reputation on game in recent years and I hope to keep testing it. The Kid said it works alright and I think he might indeed be correct. I certainly hope more test subjects present themselves in the coming months.
If you keep placing bullets like that, I don't know of any thin-skinned animal you aren't quickly killing with that setup. Well done.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by beretzs
It’s amazing how much we all fret over this or that for killing a deer….

Amazing how people are still smoking bucks with patched round balls. You’d think they would’ve fell outta favor if they just flat sucked.
Patched roundballs actually hammer deer

Would you be able to tell the difference between a deer heart that was hit with a 54 caliber round ball and one that was hit with a 64 grain Nosler Bonded 223 bullet? If so, how?
I haven't used them, but I've heard that at closer ranges those Nosler BSB just wreck shiit.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I imagine that the distance shooting the deer might have something to do with the yes or no answer.

I knew a rancher (deceased) in western South Dakota that used a Savage 222 to shoot deer most of his live, he would be in his upper 90's if still living. From what I hear he only used one bullet each, to kill his deer. He used ammo off the dealers' shelves, so I suspect he didn't worry about bullet construction.

Now, imagine you have a 223 and you wanted to use the following:

Muzzle velocity 3,350 FPS, 55 caliber TSX bullet, sighted in at 100 meters 2 inches high. 10 MPH cross wind, 3,200 fps.

My phone ap says at 350 yards the energy level is 330-foot pounds, velocity is 1,644 fps, wind drift is 12 inches, and the bullet strike would be 15" low.

So, if you were to shoot a nice Mule Deer Buck at 350 yards, would your choice be a 223 with a maximum load using 55 grain TSX bullets?

On the other hand, at 100 yards the energy is 882 FP, the drift is .8", and the bullet is 2.0" high.

(I looked at a couple of other bullet choices and thought this might be as good as any for energy, velocity, wind drift etc.)

My point is that shooting a deer with whatever you choose will have a lot to do with how far you shoot and size of the deer. Therefore, you will get an unending argument from people some in the mountains and some in the swamps. Some saying absolutely yes and others saying no f---ing way.

The argument is similar to, "What is the perfect deer rifle?" or "What is the perfect bullet to use on deer?"

It's like adult diapers, it "Depends".

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
I imagine that the distance shooting the deer might have something to do with the yes or no answer.

I knew a rancher (deceased) in western South Dakota that used a Savage 222 to shoot deer most of his live, he would be in his upper 90's if still living. From what I hear he only used one bullet each, to kill his deer. He used ammo off the dealers' shelves, so I suspect he didn't worry about bullet construction.

Now, imagine you have a 223 and you wanted to use the following:

Muzzle velocity 3,350 FPS, 55 caliber TSX bullet, sighted in at 100 meters 2 inches high. 10 MPH cross wind, 3,200 fps.

My phone ap says at 350 yards the energy level is 330-foot pounds, velocity is 1,644 fps, wind drift is 12 inches, and the bullet strike would be 15" low.

So, if you were to shoot a nice Mule Deer Buck at 350 yards, would your choice be a 223 with a maximum load using 55 grain TSX bullets?

On the other hand, at 100 yards the energy is 882 FP, the drift is .8", and the bullet is 2.0" high.

(I looked at a couple of other bullet choices and thought this might be as good as any for energy, velocity, wind drift etc.)

My point is that shooting a deer with whatever you choose will have a lot to do with how far you shoot and size of the deer. Therefore, you will get an unending argument from people some in the mountains and some in the swamps. Some saying absolutely yes and others saying no f---ing way.

The argument is similar to, "What is the perfect deer rifle?" or "What is the perfect bullet to use on deer?"

It's like adult diapers, it "Depends".
What’s the average distance a whitetail or Mule Deer gets harvested? Hint, it’s way under 350 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have hunted deer with the 223 for 7 years now and haven't had any trouble at all. Where I hunt everything has been 100 yds or less. If I'm stretching out to 250 the 223 would likely get it done but I don't do it. I have a 6.5 creedmoor for that

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Shot one at 80 yards . She jumped a few steps, turned around confused. Shot her again. She just ran off. Went away for an hour then found her a hundred yards farther away. Shot a little one at similar range. It dropped. 55 soft point, 25g H335, not too impressive. Could say the same about bigger rifles though. In fact I've chased and hunted more than a few with solid hits to the chest, lungs, heart with 140 grain bullets. Lost one. On the other hand a 22 mag to the neck was pretty impressive on a big buck at 75 yards or so. 55 grain V Max seems to work really well, which is weird because 140 A Max was horrible for me. Guy in Texas on You Tube has racked up over a hundred. Sorry this is so technical and scientific.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Why not, “Karamajo” Bell killed 800 elephants with a 7X57, that means anyone can kill anything with small calibers and fast twist…

Pissing point. I do believe he preferred the 6.5x54 Mannlicher. But has the original Mauser smokeless powder cartridge really been surpassed for general game?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Why not, “Karamajo” Bell killed 800 elephants with a 7X57, that means anyone can kill anything with small calibers and fast twist…

Pissing point. I do believe he preferred the 6.5x54 Mannlicher. But has the original Mauser smokeless powder cartridge really been surpassed for general game?
He preferred it but the ammo wasn't reliable

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot one at 80 yards . She jumped a few steps, turned around confused. Shot her again. She just ran off. Went away for an hour then found her a hundred yards farther away. Shot a little one at similar range. It dropped. 55 soft point, 25g H335, not too impressive.

You shouldn't be impressed when you use the wrong bullet for the job.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back in the 1960's and 70's Jack O'Connor was my favorite hunting writer. He stated that bullet performance and penetration are the hallmarks of killing power. The diameter of the bullet BEFORE impact is largely irrelevant. Shoot a big game bullet from a .223 within reasonable distance and it will result in a kill. I started my oldest daughter shooting mule deer with a .223 and she was successful. She hunted with Winchester's 64 grain Power Point ammo. - Sherwood

Last edited by Sherwood; 12/20/22.

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot one at 80 yards . She jumped a few steps, turned around confused. Shot her again. She just ran off. Went away for an hour then found her a hundred yards farther away. Shot a little one at similar range. It dropped. 55 soft point, 25g H335, not too impressive.

I killed a pronghorn at 175yrds with a 55gr Rem PSP out of a 223AI fireform load. Went 10yds. Quarter sized exit hole.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.

No, not for any Buck or Doe that I'm interested in shooting. I've seen some of the photos posted on this thread with small does taken with .223. Why would anyone shoot does that small? 250 yard head or neck shot doesn't seem like ethical hunting to me either. Reads like a potential tracking nightmare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

I killed a pronghorn at 175yrds with a 55gr Rem PSP out of a 223AI fireform load. Went 10yds. Quarter sized exit hole.

The wrong tool for the job CAN get the job done, that doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by pointer

The wrong tool for the job CAN get the job done, that doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

Which is your 223 deer bullet preference?

Page 19 of 26 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 43 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.