Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Well off? If I had your money I'd...

Caribou towel???
Moose bible??!!

Tell us!

🤣😎

Just keep farming till its gone?

No way, Hosea! The next boom in Alaska will be farming hemp, dontcha know? (The Sativa form of "saving the State" seems to have fizzled in spite of its raving popularity.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AGL you are in the wrong state for land sales. I turned down 450 ths. cash in my hand on a 85ft.x125ft. lot

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cwh2
Well off? If I had your money I'd...

Caribou towel???
Moose bible??!!

Tell us!

🤣😎

Just keep farming till its gone?

No way, Hosea! The next boom in Alaska will be farming hemp, dontcha know? (The Sativa form of "saving the State" seems to have fizzled in spite of its raving popularity.)

Turns out farming is work. Who knew?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by rost495
And FWIW my pay as a guide isn't much better and zero benefits but I work to pay bills at something I like. There is that.

First year in guiding was "NO PAY" (that was standard then).
Second year (meat packer, camp flunky, shut-up and do what your told to do) $50.00 a day.
Got Asst. Guide License $100.00 per day pay, after two more years $150.00 a day pay.
Got Registered Guide License $200.00 a day pay. Licensed to guide in more the half of the 26 game units, still $200.00 a day pay. It was both fun and hell, glad I spent half my life doing it.
well it hasn't changed much pay wise... And IIRC master guides today can only hold the license to guide actively in 3 units at a time. I'm impressed though. What I've heard the tests for each unit take a LOT of memory of maps and such. To have memorized all the drainages in half of Alaska is pretty impressive.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
25 p/h is 1600 take home +/- every two weeks. Living on that in AK will be tight, The state is currently recruiting at above wage grade pay or advanced step placement.Problem with that? They are not paying existing employees anything more. So a state worker will most likely be training a new person making more than them if the existing employee with the state is not a long term one.THe ak laborers union local 71 negotaited a contract last go around that does not match the CPI , The state is operating at 50-65% staffing levels. Some one eluded to Davis Bacon, thats federal but interstingly Ak pays less than WA and OR in Davis Bacon so best of luck recruiting. We are experiencing a net population loss.Our target 87 per barrel is not going to be met. Wre are in trouble!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, I wonder how many of these people would rather work on JBER clearing the runways in the winter starting at $30+ an hour with benefits? The guys on JBER I knew that drove plow trucks even in light snow years all worked 40+ hours a a week and then add shift differential, weekend, and holiday pay, and they are not doing too shabby. After they work on base 6-8 months a year, many went and worked on the slope, or other jobs, I think one or two commercial fished as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AGL4now
And FWIW my pay as a guide isn't much better and zero benefits but I work to pay bills at something I like. There is that.

First year in guiding was "NO PAY" (that was standard then).
Second year (meat packer, camp flunky, shut-up and do what your told to do) $50.00 a day.
Got Asst. Guide License $100.00 per day pay, after two more years $150.00 a day pay.
Got Registered Guide License $200.00 a day pay. Licensed to guide in more the half of the 26 game units, still $200.00 a day pay. It was both fun and hell, glad I spent half my life doing it.
well it hasn't changed much pay wise... And IIRC master guides today can only hold the license to guide actively in 3 units at a time. I'm impressed though. What I've heard the tests for each unit take a LOT of memory of maps and such. To have memorized all the drainages in half of Alaska is pretty impressive.
Those memory tests did not exist until about the '90s.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
Also, I wonder how many of these people would rather work on JBER clearing the runways in the winter starting at $30+ an hour with benefits? The guys on JBER I knew that drove plow trucks even in light snow years all worked 40+ hours a a week and then add shift differential, weekend, and holiday pay, and they are not doing too shabby. After they work on base 6-8 months a year, many went and worked on the slope, or other jobs, I think one or two commercial fished as well.

That snow removal gig on Elmendorf is a good gig from what I been told. Pretty much come to work October through April. Full benefits even when you are not working (in the summer) from what I was told by a fella that did the job. Also once the winter season over they will ask you if you want to work the summer crew doing road work around post. The only downside you are on call and not unusual to get a call to come in at 0200 in the morning.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Those memory tests did not exist until about the '90s.

Was not much before I started, that Guides were licensed for the whole State. There was no test. You were interviewed by an Alaska Territorial Police or State Trooper, and if he felt you were qualified, it was processed. The interview was not about knowledge of the game, but the individuals field experience and ability to stay alive in Alaska wilderness.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It was tougher to survive back then.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Hudge

That snow removal gig on Elmendorf is a good gig from what I been told. Pretty much come to work October through April. Full benefits even when you are not working (in the summer) from what I was told by a fella that did the job. Also once the winter season over they will ask you if you want to work the summer crew doing road work around post. The only downside you are on call and not unusual to get a call to come in at 0200 in the morning.

From my understanding of working in the same Squadron and then at my current job the employs several term and temp hires, they go in suspended mode when not working. They do not get paid and possibly lose their insurance if they had it. They do not however lose their retirement, etc, it just picks back up when they return to work.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 406_SBC, 17CalFan, 19 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.