Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A trigger thread here prompted me to google Arnold Jewell where I found that he has sadly passed away. Since a search hear didn't turn up any mention of his passing, I'm posting it here. RIP Mr. Jewell.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/arnold-jewell-jewell-triggers-has-passed.7143125/

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad to hear. I have several of his triggers and he made significant contributions to the sport.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MikeS
Sad to hear. I have several of his triggers and he made significant contributions to the sport.
Me, too and agree with his contribution to shooting.

I read he got his inspiration from the nose landing gear on a small plane. It was stable, slightly over center. When it broke over center it would collapse. That’s how the Jewell trigger works. His airplane work led to the trigger design.

That design just about eliminates friction.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Arnold was a corporate pilot. He knew more jokes than anybody that I've known. Arnold said he flew into Midland with a few executives from the east. As they got off the plane they saw how desolate that it happened to be and asked, "What in the World do you do here"? Arnold said we hunt, they said hunt what? Arnold said,"Something to f--k!" Arnold helped me with a design change on my co axial rest top. I was lucky to have one of the few Savage trigger and 10-22 trigger assemblies. I have one of his AR triggers as well as his BR and hunting triggers. Arnold was quite a character and had a huge following after a match as we would have an adult beverage and listened to him telling joke after joke. Arnold would go over to a young man's house every weekend to visit with him. Kris came out of his house oneb day and Arnold was sitting on a big box. Kris said what are you sitting on? Arnold said it was so hot in the summer in New Braunfels, Tx that if Kris wanted him to continue to visit they would install this air conditioner in his garage.
Arnold was larger than life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He was one of a handful of people that made the AR a competitive rifle. For the longest time, his AR trigger was the only game in town.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
have many Jewell triggers, HVR is my favorite for the 700 series and have a few for the Sako P94 finnfire looking for rifles to be installed

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He was one of a handful of people that made the AR a competitive rifle. For the longest time, his AR trigger was the only game in town.

Not true, the MKII (great) and the CLE trigger (unreliable) were first and own that title of helping to transform the AR into a legitimate Competition Service RIfle. At one point it, the Armalite and the KAC were the only viable triggers readily available to civilian shooters since Charlie was more interested in litigation than production.

I hesitate to smudge his legacy, but the Jewell AR Trigger was not one of his successes. A defective Jewell AR trigger was the reason I came to exchange emails with him and how I learned how earnest and customer centric he was. My trigger had a misground hammer which he was forthright about, but it was also not the best designed trigger for the demands of Highpower Rifle competition. I made a note to myself that I'd loop back and talk to him about bolt gun triggers as he was someone I wanted to support (just not with AR triggers). Never had the opportunity to speak or email with him after.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/21/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Jewel was the most popular and the Milazzo was unobtainium.

It wasn't until RR came along that we had a reliable, available trigger.

Politics is War by Other Means
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
ChrisF: Thanks for the heads up - may he rest in peace.
I have many Jewell triggers and I hope his company can carry on without him.
Sad news - thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Arnold's son took over the company many years ago.

IC B3

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tyrone we disagree on the sequence of events. ...but we can discuss this another time on another thread (or on PM). I'll keep this about the loss of Arnold Jewell to the Shooting Community. Shooter, Trigger designer/manufacturer, out of the box thinker and tremendous jokester (thank you for sharing that part of him Mr. Lambert).

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Arnold was a corporate pilot. He knew more jokes than anybody that I've known. Arnold said he flew into Midland with a few executives from the east. As they got off the plane they saw how desolate that it happened to be and asked, "What in the World do you do here"? Arnold said we hunt, they said hunt what? Arnold said,"Something to f--k!" Arnold helped me with a design change on my co axial rest top. I was lucky to have one of the few Savage trigger and 10-22 trigger assemblies. I have one of his AR triggers as well as his BR and hunting triggers. Arnold was quite a character and had a huge following after a match as we would have an adult beverage and listened to him telling joke after joke. Arnold would go over to a young man's house every weekend to visit with him. Kris came out of his house oneb day and Arnold was sitting on a big box. Kris said what are you sitting on? Arnold said it was so hot in the summer in New Braunfels, Tx that if Kris wanted him to continue to visit they would install this air conditioner in his garage.
Arnold was larger than life.

Great story.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 80 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.