Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago my friend had a really experienced Pit, a real azzhole actually. One day a huge Raccoon climbed the fence and fell into the dogs yard, it was a fight that went on for quite awhile, the dog finally killed it but was leaking all over.
About a year later another coon fell into the yard and the dog was abit more cautious about going with it and it managed to escape.

The neighbors dog last night had a fight with one here, he's a big dog Rottweiler cross, there was blood, it wasn't the dogs blood, Coon managed to escape.
Coons only been here around 20 years, never saw one until then, I have shot 3 of the fuggers the last 3 months.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Just a baby coon. A big one coulda whooped that little mutts ass.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A big coon would have wooled that little dog around and escaped pretty easily. And yes have seen coons take a dog underwater dragging them down by the head. Buddy had one nearly drowned that way heard the dog gasp when he came up . Crawled out on the bank and wanted no more of Mr Coon. He was a good dog too and the only time we ever saw him back off from a fight.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by okie
A big coon would have wooled that little dog around and escaped pretty easily. And yes have seen coons take a dog underwater dragging them down by the head. Buddy had one nearly drowned that way heard the dog gasp when he came up . Crawled out on the bank and wanted no more of Mr Coon. He was a good dog too and the only time we ever saw him back off from a fight.
We know that Rip was killed that way.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
thankyou Hawkeye gonna watch that one again

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mutt lost an eye to a coon when he was younger, never saw a dog hated a coon more. Burn one out of the top of a tree and he would whip the other dogs to get the kill bite. By the way, you did not come up on his blind side, but once...

Blueticks that know their business, get a grip on the chest and shake the life right out of a coon, crush the ribs and basically keep him from breathing.

Old men used to love to hear the dogs strike cold, figure it out and go from trail to tree across a creek bottom. Shine and squall till the coon looks, then use that old 12 gauge to make him jump and watch the fight.

Spring Creek bottom has a smell that takes me back to Greenbrier coats, shooting stars and navigating cypress knee swamps.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Did anyone else notice that the littermate made tracks out of there while the other one was fighting the dog?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My grandfather was a finish carpenter. He would get layed of or quit in the fall. At the time coyotes were uncommon. Lots of fox. He would trap the usual critters. I have fond memories of going with him. At one time he would use car exhaust to kill skunks and skin them.
He wrote a small book with help " Oscar Nelson 60 Years a North Dakota Trapper". He would teach people to trap and they would stay at his house. At one time he was on Praire Public TV. He would weigh fox a good one was 15 pounds he said the biggest coon he ever caught was 50 pounds. He loved lefsa and luttifisk. I remember he had a set in a culvert and I was quit young he said "take a look in there" I looked in the culvert and a big coon scared the pudding out of me. He thought it was funny. If you do a search you will find reference to the book. My father was killed in a car accident when I was a baby so I spent alot of time with my grandfather's.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by joken2
Been many a full grown 'coon hound drowned when they followed a savvy old experienced boar racoon into pond / lake / creek / river. Old coon crawls on top of the dogs head and holds it under water until the dog quits moving.
I've always heard that but have never seen it happen.
About 20 years ago, I saw one try. We were pheasant hunting in eastern SD and this happened down at a small slough. We were able to get the dog apart from the coon to apply a 12 gauge. The coon wasn't quite big enough to hold her under the water for too long.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
So, nobody got the Twilight Zone reference?

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ok I'm guessing are you referring to the astronauts landing on an asteroid and the one kills a couple the others and makes tracks cause he thinks he has a better chance surviving on his own.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
Ok I'm guessing are you referring to the astronauts landing on an asteroid and the one kills a couple the others and makes tracks cause he thinks he has a better chance surviving on his own.
No. The episode titled The Hunt. It's about a coon hunter and his coon hound. The coon hound (Rip) ran after the coon when it went into the crick. Hunter said, "Stop, Rip. That coon'll drown you." He jumps in to save Rip, but both are drowned. They don't know they both drowned, though, as they both woke up together by the crick. The man's main worry is that his wife will be pissed off that he stayed out all night, and they both headed home. He gradually comes to realize that he and Rip had died, and that they were both spirits.

Perhaps my favorite Twilight Zone episode. Back in the Wild West days of YouTube, you could watch any episode of Twilight Zone you wanted, but today you will have to rent it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ok thanks I tried haha

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We use to live trap coon quite a bit when I was a kid. Never brought a gun since we had a giant mean Chesapeake. Like a 135lb dog. He'd flip the trap over and the fight was usually over in minutes. He went for the chest and neck. Got into a 40 pounder one night. That fight lasted a long time. The coon kept luring him into the stock dam and my father would pull the dog out by his tail. He sent me running for a gun but by the time I got back the dog had won. He mounted the coon. That fall, the dog killed close to a thousand coon. He was in shape.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It was a fair fight. Nobody should complain. My GSD does it faster, but that little guy was tough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldHat
He doesn't kill' em, but they ain't goin' anywhere. Leaves the dirty work for me. Pit/lab mix. Never so much as a scratch.

Sounds like a fugking pussy to me. A lab will eat anything. And a pit will bite anything. Am I wrong?

And your stupid mutt won’t even kill a stoopid raccoon.

Originally Posted by Blackheart
I killed two out of the same ravine one night that went 52" and 53" from nose to tip of tail

Wow. You played your own banjo music. Good job.

*Edit: that’s going to be my new slam***

Last edited by bellydeep; 12/21/22.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
Never brought a gun since we had a giant mean Chesapeake. Like a 135lb dog. He'd flip the trap over and the fight was usually over in minutes.

Damn. My last dog took hours. Yours must be a good one.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I live on a farm and see coons several times a week. I've owned dogs up to the size of a large black lab. I've seen plenty of dogs take on a coon, but I've never seen a lone dog who could whip a full grown male coon.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Catahoula that kills huge coons on a regular basis.
One on one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Back when I was going to college, my BIL had a shephard/collie mix that was bigger than either breed - probably 130+ lbs. His name was Smokey and he was a beautiful dog. One day my BIL had a coon up in a tree outside his house, and he wanted me to hold a trashcan underneath with a lid ready to catch it while he climbed up the tree and shook it out. He wanted to use it to train his young Treeing Walker coon hound.

Well, I had some misgivings, but I went along and stood under the coon. As he got close to the branch where the coon was, it jumped out and easily missed my half-hearted attempts to catch it. But Smokey was right there, and pounced and picked up the coon and crunched it and shook it once and it was over. Dead coon. Not a huge boar coon, but a full sized coon. Just glad that dog wasn't aggressive towards people, he was a great dog.

I had a GSP bird dog, that killed a mature coon that had entered his pen one night. Not a scratch. He also killed a possum with the same tactic Smokey used. Grab their ribs from above and pick them up and crunch and shake. I believe there are plenty of dogs that can take out a full grown male coon pretty easily. They just got to want to.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.