Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We’re wood heat only, and on year three of liquid amber from a neighbor tree that was taken down. Pretty nice compared to lodgepole.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by rainshot
That Bois d’arc is hard wood. My father in law made a sleeve bearing out of it in a saw mill during the depression and he said they used it for years. Just had to keep it greased.
Mesquite is great for cooking. If green it burns really hot.
We use mostly oak around here because it’s local. Lots of dead wood due to the droughts.

Mesquite will really junk up a chimney or stove pipe. I would use it wood stove but only one log at bedtime

Yes on the mesquite. It will really screw up your pipes. And I really don’t care for it for smoking. For grilling coals its the bee’s knees! Like for grillin’ steaks.

It do burn hot! I buckled up one of those cheap Sears& Roebuck Franklin stoves with mesquite. But when it’s all you got, you burn it.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
White oak is the wood of choice here. One thing better than free wood is getting paid good money to take it. During the course of the year I run into enough oak jobs that I can be pretty picky on what goes into my stove. I give my neighbors what I don't want and stay 3 years ahead on my personal firewood. At this point in my life tree work is pure entertainment.

WS

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been feeding my woodstove for 42 years. My 100+ acres is a mixture of Red and Chestnut Oak, Hickory, Ash, and Cherry. Our Elm all died out probably 35 years ago, and now Ash is fading fast due to the Emerald Borers. Funny...here in the Northeast we would never consider burning softwoods like Pine, Hemlock, or Cedar, but when I travel out west to hunt, that's all they burn out there. You use what you have, I guess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Biebs
You use what you have, I guess.

It's sorta like makin' hay.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Doug Fir as kindling, Pacific Madrone (about 31,000 MMbtu per cord) for real heat. We heat only with wood although we do have a heat pump. We use about 4 cords of madrone per year. It all comes off our property so we don't have to go far.

Look here for the BTU rates for Eastern and Western hard woods and soft woods. Also lists pounds per dry cord. https://worldforestindustries.com/forest-biofuel/firewood/firewood-btu-ratings/

Last edited by logger; 12/21/22.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Water Oak and red Oak. I've got several Sawtooth oaks that I'm not going to cut anytime soon, but they keep me in shed branches for kindling

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’m a big fan of the electric heat pump. My old man preferred White Oak. Hickory popped and burned holes in the carpet. He always liked to cut his wood in the hottest part of summer. Said he liked it to “season” for a few months before burning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. Funny...here in the Northeast we would never consider burning softwoods like Pine, Hemlock, or Cedar, but when I travel out west to hunt, that's all they burn out there. You use what you have, I guess.

The shipping gets a little high, so we burn local. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Locust for the furnace, oak for the fireplace

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Pinon and cedar

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny...here in the Northeast we would never consider burning softwoods like Pine, Hemlock, or Cedar, but when I travel out west to hunt, that's all they burn out there. You use what you have, I guess.

Here's a look out the gate 75 yards from my backdoor, that opens onto square miles of public land. Not a single hardwood that I know of out there, and I've covered most of that ground to the top of the first ridge. Second ridge is over the fence on private land. Over to the right, on top of that ridge, you can see a few ponderosa pines sticking up. There's one dead center of the pic that's hard to make out, just a dark spot in amongst the other trees. The rest is all juniper.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is what it looks like close up. The buck is bedded a hundred yards or so to the west (right) of that little road in the first pic, under that second larger tree in the "foreground". Every tree there is a juniper

Nearest oaks I know of are about 15 miles over that ridge in the first pic to the SW where they get a bit more moisture than we get here.

Believe me, if there was a hardwood around here, the first settlers would have burned it up or used it for wagon boards or something long ago...............if the local Indians hadn't done so already.

We can grow the scheidt out of juniper here though!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We burn about 15 face cord a year. Lots of ash right now because its everywhere, but I love hard maple and white oak too. We also have a couple types of hickory here on the place. One thing I didn't see mentioned is Hop Hornbean. It's part of the birch family but I'd say it burns more like beech. Splits about as hard too. I cut up every dead one I can find and mix it in with the rest.

I WISH we had a good supply of hedge around here. I've burned some that I got from a farmer pulling an old hedgerow and people are right, it burns like coal.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hickory is my 1st choice, standing dead oak and honey locust are good too. Hedge is the hottest firewood in the midwest and should be used sparingly in old flues and stoves. I cut up a blowdown Pecan for a friend several years ago amd that was the sweetest smelling wood ever.

I'm 66 and still sawing and splitting 4-5 cords a year by hand.

[Linked Image from thesixgunjournal.net]

Somebody above posted a pic of the Fiskars 8 pound splitting maul and it's the best one I've ever used.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
got to burn what's available, but there's areas of the country that have really [bleep] wood for heat purposes..

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What ever wood pallets are made of.

Go Ahead And Backup
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that one of those elusive Modoc stump deer in the second photo?

I love that N CAL/N NV country!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StumpDodger
What ever wood pallets are made of.
Those are too valuable for building chicken Gulags and compost bins around here.

Juniper is more readily available.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno, I will trade you backyards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Is that one of those elusive Modoc stump deer in the second photo?

I love that N CAL/N NV country!

Title of the pic has me calling him "bent rack buck" that season. I didn't see him around this past summer, but there's a good chance the bent rack was from him bumping it when it was in velvet that summer. Probably growing in straight now if he's still alive. 2018 picture.

In it is contentment

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.