Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
For people FLYING from US to Canada, is an old DUI an issue?

Would be great to hear from anyone with direct experience who has flown there since 2018 who has a past DUI conviction

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
They can refuse entry, even on a 20-year old charge. They may let you in no problem and because it’s so old they may charge you an extra $200 for some bull$hit paperwork. They may not ask so don’t tell—but if they do ask make sure you tell the truth.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had a few clients turned back over the years that ignored my warning to call ahead of time. A couple spent a year or two being "rehabilitated" and getting an amnesty.
One, they pulled up a 40 year old charge for possessing some rare squirrel when he was 16! But for $2-300 he was allowed a "once in a lifetime" entry.
Call ahead to Border Services and ask, it can save a pile of money and headaches.
Best bet, if you want to come to Canada more than once, is to get an amnesty, it'll cost about $1000!

Last edited by Barryt; 12/22/22.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I think it’s kinda neat that you can commit a crime in the USA and then buy a pardon for it in Canada. I’m so glad it’s about justice and not money.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Once again, call Canada customs.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Go to Canada.ca and search for "criminal inadmissibility statute". If you have to apply for "rehabilitation" it will cost you $200 Canadian and there is no guarantee that they will let you in.
k2nd

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
In most cases Richard calling Canada Customs doesn’t get you anywhere. They will answer your questions on stuff like percentage duty on specific items but on things like admissibility you have to present yourself to boots on the ground.
No one in Canada—including the prime minister will overturn the decision made by the face in the window.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks Karl.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would seek a pardon in the state where the conviction occurred.

BTW, if I had an outstanding warrant or a criminal conviction, I would not be allowed into the USA.

Last edited by AB2506; 01/03/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our company had some ranking officers who had prior DWI on their records in the states.

They were not allowed to enter and were turned back at the border, the states were this happen at the Canadian border were Washington, North Dakota and Minnesota.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Our company had some ranking officers who had prior DWI on their records in the states.

They were not allowed to enter and were turned back at the border, the states were this happen at the Canadian border were Washington, North Dakota and Minnesota.

Good evening Bwana338, I trust your 2023, has started off in an excellent manner and blue skies await you for the rest of the year.

Simple trick to get through our border instantly and hassle free!

Give the employees fake Somalia Passports and tell you employees to tell the border officers that they have 9 children and they expect $500.00 per child in monthly welfare payments immediately, and they will be granted access instantly even if they are on the interpol 10 most wanted list.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/07/23.

KB

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Two different countries, different laws.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Two different countries, different laws.

We are becoming eerily similar. Scary chit!

KB

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My son stumbled across that law last week, HIs buddy is supposed to go moose hunting this fall in NF. He started the process last week.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kkahmann
They may not ask so don’t tell—but if they do ask make sure you tell the truth.

My brother and I went up to go moose hunting and some fishing. They split us up and asked a lot of questions. Luckily neither of us not had a DUI. Some of the questions were the same for us, some were different. They took close to an hour, evidently checking out our answers after our interview. Honestly the only country I’ve had more hassle getting into was Cameroon. It wasn’t always like that. I remember the days when a drivers license or government issued ID was all that was needed at the border.
I’ve been to quite a few countries I don’t understand the Canadian government’s new requirements.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Too bad the US doesn't treat Canadians like that or the hordes coming across the southern border.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
No, US Customs only treats the US citizens like that. In several trips across the US /Canadian border over the last 40 years, the azxholes were all US customs officials. Not all of them, but a goodly percentage.

Never had a problem re-entering from south of the border (including into Alaska) , or Europe, only at the northern US border, going south. It looks to me like ND, MT is the gulag they send the azzhats to. smile

Last edited by las; 01/17/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Came back from Canadian fishing trip this year. Had 2 fishing rods broken down and zip tied together. Airport security pulled me out and asked me in a loud voice "is that a walking stick or a weapon?" About 6 other guys holding fishing rods busted out laughing. Guy waived me on. Was that Canadian security? I can't remember. Winnipeg airport and half the people were fishermen.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I remember for the first 10 years or so that I lived in Canada (70’s) I would stop at Customs—coming and going—answer a number of questions but didn’t show any paperwork—no I’d —no passport no paperwork at all—except for paperwork involving custom duties.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AB2506
I would seek a pardon in the state where the conviction occurred.

BTW, if I had an outstanding warrant or a criminal conviction, I would not be allowed into the USA.

You are conflating 2 different things. O is talking about an old charge that was dealt with. You are talking about a current unresolved charge.

As far as a Canadian with a resolved charge, I know of several Canadians that come and go into the states with duis on their records.

Fellow student at MSU was an Albertan. Had 1 or 2 duis. Came into the states regularly as a student. Then stayed as an employee and lives in the states to this day. At that time, fellow student that wanted to go back with the Albertan to his ranch couldn't because he had a dui in the states.

Montana MOFO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

722 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.