B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SeanD
RRS TFCT-33

10# AR15, 8# tikka T3, etc

Tripod with anvil 30 head- 4.8#, 28 3/8”

Max distance for hits on 8-10” plate every time? Not sure I mostly shoot at 300 for practice.

Here is my 12y0’s target at 300 doing some practice last summer. She was pretty consistently hanging around 1moa.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pros? I set my kid up and she dropped her first buck at 303yds with a single perfectly placed shot, she was able to use a sitting position and shoot nearly as well as prone. Works similarly for adults. Binos from standing off the anvil is great

Cons, you have to pack it. In the past I typically packed a tripod for binos and used a bipod, total weight isn’t any different. It’s slower to setup than a bipod. But then again the ability to shoot very steady from standing is worth it imo.

I’m pretty sold on the tripod
I was at the range a couple months ago and a young woman was there with her dad. They were practicing before her first elk hunt. They tried a set of shooting sticks first. She was having a hard time hitting a 10" plate at 100 yards, then her dad switched her over to a tripod. That made all the difference in the world. You should have seen the smile on her face. She was cute and dressed in her camo as well. I say use what you are comfortable using. Use what works and practice, practice, practice...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I will considerer using a tripod for hunting at about the same time I consider wearing a dress and lipstick. GD

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I tried to use a bipod for hunting a few years ago. It definitely improved my shooting. However, these NH deer didn't seem to realize that it took a few seconds to get the hardware adjusted ...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by xphunter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2023 will be the year that I dive into this hard, to see what my limits will be, especially with center-grip single-shot XP-100's.
I have used tri-pod's (With XP's and rifles) in the past, but I am wanting to get serious about it in 2023.

When you dive in, you REALLY dive in. laugh

Dandy setup you've got there.

I use a SLIK PRO 700 BHX AMT for night coyote hunting but at 8lbs, it's a tank.
But I'm generally not more than a 1/3 mile from the truck.

The tripod you have is on the 2023 procurement list. smile
When you get it and use it let me know what you think please.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Primos Trigger Sticks for me. The sitting length.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hey Ernie!
FirstBubba here! LOL!

For years, way before the AR became commonplace, I often carried a "shooting stick" of some sort with me.
Whether a factory setup or just a slim, stiff sapling, any extra stabilizer was always welcome.
Since I began building AR's, I've included a bipod in the setup. My boxblind is set up with shooting bags, regardless of the bipod......but none of them cost $1K! LOL!

Was it Elmer Keith or Col. Askins that claimed they never passed up the opportunity to use a rest of some type? Whether guide provided or a convenient tree limb, any assistance in assuring the most accurate shot possible was welcomed.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 12/28/22.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,567
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.