B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Noco gb150 starts my diesel no problem

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black & Decker smart charger with a battery rejuvenation mode has worked well for me for 3 years or so................$50 at Home Depot.

Use a Battery Tender if not using the battery / vehicle for a while or if in storage.

MM

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Lots of good ones these days. Hell, you can use your cordless tool batteries.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I got my jump battery from NAPA. The only complaint I have is the cables could stand to be another 6" longer. The jump battery is rated at 1100 amps. I haven't needed anything more.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Originally Posted by huntersdog
Need something for the cold environment.

Thanks
What vehicle? Motor size?

Important factors.

You think?

Apparently some don’t.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kwg020
I got my jump battery from NAPA. The only complaint I have is the cables could stand to be another 6" longer. The jump battery is rated at 1100 amps. I haven't needed anything more.

kwg
I have the same one. Those stubby little cables are a PITA!

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Noco

x2 Noco

I carry one in my truck and boat. Works great

Seem to be well thought of. I got a Noco boost 155, and have tried to use it twice in the last week, and it didn't work either time. I think because both batteries I was trying to jump were very dead, but still pisses me off.

I helped a guy start a Duramax at -10 with the same jump box, which is why I bought one.

I have a NOCO 150. For really dead batteries, I have to use an "Override" feature or it does nothing. Not sure if that was your problem.

Yeah.... I guess you gotta read the [bleep] manual.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
NOCO boost, keep one in all vehicles, one in the jeep has been through freezing weather and scalding summers. I top them off every three months.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Noco Boost

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CaliRN
NOCO boost, keep one in all vehicles, one in the jeep has been through freezing weather and scalding summers. I top them off every three months.
Same for me.

I've used it once for my own vehicle, and three times for damsels in distress. whistle

John

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RUM7
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg
I have the same one. Those stubby little cables are a PITA!
Yes they are a PITA. Do ya think NAPA will go broke if they added 6" of cable to that battery pack ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjac
The OP didn't mention for gas or diesel.
Noco seems popular. Will it crank a two battery 6.7 powerstroke?

My Noco GB150 has jumped several 6.0 and 6.7 ambulances at work without issue. Put it on boost mode and it starts then right up

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy a https://www.batteryminders.com/ and a few ring connector kits....these will do amazing things in a couple of weeks to old batteries.

There's a https://www.pulsetech.net/pp-12-l-powerpulse-12-volt-battery-maintenance-system.html that does drain a bit of voltage, but does the same high freq desulfation while driving. Good for a daily driver or plugged in trailer, not for a sit all week rig

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
ES5000 BoosterPac

I have 2.

Made the mistake of buying a dewalt that sams or costco sold. POS will not get charged and runs out very quickly.

The ES5000 keeps its charge.Had one in my truck overnight. Was -24. Got it out. Still fully charged and worked fine. Simple without a bunch of electronics or unnecessary crap. Just a case with jumper leads.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
diesel owners: has anyone tried putting a car sized jumper on each battery?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks

I'm not sure if one this small fits your needs, but it claims to work to -40*. I bought one last year for my son after watching videos showing comparably priced battery packs fail to work in the cold weather such as when stored in a cold vehicle.

The concept is that this device works as a supercapacitor and not a battery pack, so it is less affected by cold operating temps. The downside is that it doesn't work on a totally dead battery because it uses the little remaining power in the vehicle battery to quickly charge the capacitor, which is then recycled to start the vehicle.

I think there is a Project Farm Youtube video from the last year or two showing that this capacitor device worked better than comparably priced battery packs after Project Farm dude stored them in his freezer over night before testing, with the caveat that the vehicle battery wasn't totally dead.

Here is a link:

Autowit SuperCap 2

Last edited by CoalCracker; 12/23/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CoalCracker

Thanks

I'm not sure if one this small fits your needs, but it claims to work to -40*. I bought one last year for my son after watching videos showing comparably priced battery packs fail to work in the cold weather such as when stored in a cold vehicle.

The concept is that this device works as a supercapacitor and not a battery pack, so it is less affected by cold operating temps. The downside is that it doesn't work on a totally dead battery because it uses the little remaining power in the vehicle battery to quickly charge the capacitor, which is then recycled to start the vehicle.

I think there is a Project Farm Youtube video from the last year or two showing that this capacitor device worked better than comparably priced battery packs after Project Farm dude stored them in his freezer over night before testing, with the caveat that the vehicle battery wasn't totally dead.

Here is a link:

Autowit SuperCap 2

There was one in the video posted earlier. There's also a newer model in the video below. From what I saw I didn't think either did all that well, especially for the price.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
diesel owners: has anyone tried putting a car sized jumper on each battery?

I’ve never used mine on my personal diesel truck but had done so on several diesel ambulances and a handful out hunting.

With my noco 150 I put it in boost mode and have never had an issue jumping a diesel off 1 battery.

With newer diesels requiring set voltage and crank rpm to turn on the injectors 2 car sized may be needed.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I just ordered a 4,000 Amp one to test...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

There is also a 6k version for $118 I may try as well.

Crank speed is critical to start a diesel.

Interested on how that turns out, keep us posted, thanks.

Arrived yesterday... Not tested yet.

First impression... 4000A is probably BS.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Tarkio
ES5000 BoosterPac

I have 2.

Made the mistake of buying a dewalt that sams or costco sold. POS will not get charged and runs out very quickly.

The ES5000 keeps its charge.Had one in my truck overnight. Was -24. Got it out. Still fully charged and worked fine. Simple without a bunch of electronics or unnecessary crap. Just a case with jumper leads.

Had that one until I drove over it with a track loader, good unit. I replaced it with a Jump n Carry 1700 amp unit.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,236 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.