-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ha, next someone will invent a new 6.5 called the x55 Swede, a better mousetrap smile Let the flames begin - Lol.

As to the comment in the thread about the grave marker in 260.......I think you mis-read, it must have been fresh, further back was the 6.5 Rem Mag.......like so many Rem creations that were never supported, or poorly thought out like launching the round with a dismal Real world speed with factory ammo, and 9 twisted rifles........

Brad, I hear you on the K.I.S.S. Working my way towards 308......some day wink What bullet(s) do you prefer? Guessing 165s of sorts.

As the the 6cm.........its on the top of the radar list. To me, it is the better mousetrap, for a 6 bore. The BR will edge it out for all out accuracy, and better bore life........but if they expand the offerings by rifle makers, it has much potential IMHO. That's assuming they mirror the marketing of it's older brother, with quality, affordable ammo.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It will never die it’s just too good
Proof is the 7x57 is still around.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had been using the 120 NBT over 49 Gr. BG with good results on WT's.

I got better, more consistent half inch groups with the SGK, 140 HPBT over 45 gr. BG. I also got quick kills on WT's. The Sierra may be a bit more expansive than the Nosler, but with good exits.

I don't see the SKG mentioned that much, just wanted to say it's a good one, worth trying.

Before BG, I used Varget which works well. I think BG is about the perfect 7-08 powder. I'm saving my Varget for others, have a big jug of BG.

Some run hotter loads; these are not "petal to the metal", maxed out loads but work very well.

59 gr. BG over 125 and 130 gr. bullets in the '06 is another very good load, also deadly on WT's. That one runs around 3,100 fps., whacks'em hard.

DF

Edited to add, I use mag primers with BG, mostly Fed 215's.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/25/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
45 of Varget was my go to load with 139/140s in partial sized brass, quite warm, safe IME and my rifles. That said a few grains less and a bit less speed would not change the outcome on an animal IMHO. I found the same charge of IMR4064 gave a tad better accuracy, than Varget...and Varget has given me some great results. No doubt, BG is a fave by many.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Looking now, I still want a short action deer round, and the 7mm-08 and 6.5 cred are on that short list. The 6.5 seems a little more recoil friendly and I just prefer that these days. Sure, the 7mm-08 isn't a slapping 30-06, but if I can get the job done with less recoil, then why not.

Are my assumptions off?"

I think they are. I haven't shot a Creedmore but I have shot the 7-08. A Remington Model Seven as I recall. A very pleasant rifle to shoot. It would be a surprise to me, but I doubt the difference in recoil between the two cartridges would be all that noticeable in two matching rifles, say a matched pair of Winchester Featherweights. I will say that after shooting that 7-08, I gave serious thought to buying a rifle chambered to that cartridge. However, common sense got the better of me. You see I have three rifles chambered to the 7x57 that have just the same level of recoil if I handload them using 7-08 data which is perfectly safe in modern rifles. If I use factory ammo, recoil is even less and probably on a par with the 6.5s so popular today. I can run a 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS using RL17 and as if I'm doing an elk hunt it's for a cow, works for me. I quit hunting for "horns" a long time ago and prefer a nice fat cow elk for the dinner table.

PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Shot so many deer with the 7mm-08 that I had to force my self to give the other rifles some time in the deer woods. 257r, 6.5 Swede, 250 sav., 280 rem. 308w, 30-06, 358w. 270w, and the last four years 260r. Yes I am an old fart. Guess what I plan on using in 2023? 7mm-08. Norma has 7mm-08 ammo at very good prices now at their Georgia site. Normashooting.com. They also have 150gr and 160gr loads.

8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Joe, did you notice any difference between the 7-08 and 260 or Swede on deer? I think the 7-08 seems to drop them faster, but I've never lost a deer to the other two either.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
7-08 and 280 are my favorites. Both capable of shooting 120-160 grains. Youth load RL15 /120 BT are sure enough killers.
My Tikka is set up for 120BT, switch to 150 's for woods hunting without any dope adjustment.
Got another one set up strictly for 150's eldx on fields when I want DRT.
They're very versatile IMO.
Thinking about trying some 162's for fun.
It's definitely not dying.
I have four 3 Tikkas ,1 winchester M70 Shilen

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm also a huge fan of the 7mm-08. My dad started using one in the '90s (in a Model 7), and I bought my first one in early '00 or '01...a Remington 700Ti (still have the rifle). Oddly enough, I don't use the 7mm-08 to hunt with much anymore....although I do have two rifles built in 7mm08 for long range shooting. One is a 22" medium heavy barrel built on a trued 700 action in an AICS stock, the other is a 26" heavy Bartlein built on a Defiance Tenacity action (also in an AICS).

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of Varget, at Cabelas in Gonzales today, I bought two pounds at a decent price. They had half dozen cans on the shelf, more powder than my last visit.

I bought the last primers in the store, a thousand CCI 450’s that I use in my .22 K-Hornet. But they were $89, about twice what I had been paying. But with primers, when you see them, you buy them. At least no Haz Mat charge.

I had enough points on my Cabelas card to cover it. So, not a bad trip, passing thru Baton Rouge on the way to Old Metairie, spending New Years with daughter, SIL and grands.

Happy New Year.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 1-8" 284 Bleedmire is my next build,though I have lotsa' 7-08's. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

MR contour at 21",short shanked,Outlander,TT Flatty,yada,yada,yada. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A 1-8" 284 Bleedmire is my next build,though I have lotsa' 7-08's. Hint.

MR contour at 21",short shanked,Outlander,TT Flatty,yada,yada,yada. Hint.............
Sounds pretty good to me. I’ve got one on my radar, as well. What are you doing for a reamer?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
WTH! Stick has a good idea.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jordan,

There are numerous ways to get there,with both dies and reamers. With a body reamer,you can make neck clearance what you like(no-turn Alpha and .002" clearance for me),as well as control freebore. Bushing dies,obviously play nicely with same. Hint.

It'll be a friendly way to whistle 180's,from trite OEM 700-esque mag confines or better yet,AICS binderless DBM's. Hint...............

Rickety,

I know you are glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel,but you are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Jordan,

There are numerous ways to get there,with both dies and reamers. With a body reamer,you can make neck clearance what you like(no-turn Alpha and .002" clearance for me),as well as control freebore. Bushing dies,obviously play nicely with same. Hint.

It'll be a friendly way to whistle 180's,from trite OEM 700-esque mag confines or better yet,AICS binderless DBM's. Hint...............

Rickety,

I know you are glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel,but you are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Ain't he bashful........

Last edited by rickt300; 12/30/22.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You be sure to keep your GoogleFu powered stolen pictures coming and simply pardon wares that exist. 'Bout the time of day,for me to start crackin' Mail open. Should be a new rifle enroute and more than a few scopes. Hint.

"Live" vicariously as you MUST,eagerly waiting in angst...despite it being your only "move". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rickety,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You be sure to keep your GoogleFu powered stolen pictures coming and simply pardon wares that exist. 'Bout the time of day,for me to start crackin' Mail open. Should be a new rifle enroute and more than a few scopes. Hint.

"Live" vicariously as you MUST,eagerly waiting in angst...despite it being your only "move". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

We all have boxes of crap laying around Stick, don't pat yourself on the azz over it.

Dog I rescued in January

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Speaking of Varget, at Cabelas in Gonzales today, I bought two pounds at a decent price. They had half dozen cans on the shelf, more powder than my last visit.

I bought the last primers in the store, a thousand CCI 450’s that I use in my .22 K-Hornet. But they were $89, about twice what I had been paying. But with primers, when you see them, you buy them. At least no Haz Mat charge.

I had enough points on my Cabelas card to cover it. So, not a bad trip, passing thru Baton Rouge on the way to Old Metairie, spending New Years with daughter, SIL and grands.

Happy New Year.

DF

You were down here in my neck of the woods. Supply has slowly been getting better there. Be safe down south!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

It is funnier than fhuqk,that you "Magically" transform to a "we",because being you is such a bum ride...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

No fhuqking "wonder" you are forced to "live" vicariously. Pardon wares that exist and these make it easy for others to savvy false shouldered positive headspace. Hint.

Google as you must. Hint.

In fairness,I've not bought an 8-pounder of VarGay since last pass and a brick of primers,since this morning. Only $500,all in,which I reckon to be a STEAL with regular gas at $5.40 a gallon. Hint.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Happy New Year.

DF

You were down here in my neck of the woods. Supply has slowly been getting better there. Be safe down south!
Yeah on supplies getting better. With a half dozen cans of Varget, they had around 40-50 cans of various powders. No primers after I bought the last thousand CCI 450’s. I was complaining about $85, but see at Powder Valley, those same primers priced at $90 and not available.

So, anytime Cabelas undersells PV, that’s amazing. AND they had them right there on the shelf. So, as I left the store, they had no primers. But I left you guys some Varget.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/30/22.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 338rcm, 2500HD, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,548
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.