Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tstorm1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A quick search shows rust on Gen 4 Glocks is becoming more of a regular thing. Disappointing but true. My question is I've kept mine in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster (easy to put in my pack to take hunting, hook on belt, etc) and take good care of them wiping them down regularly, but am developing surface rust which has wiped off with routine maintenance.

Now for the argument, is there a better holster that will limit rust development, better wipe down/oiling method (currently an Outers cloth and Bore Tech oil), etc. When storing for periods of time, holster or no? Or is the process Glock is using just more susceptible to rust?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there moisture present in the Uncle Mike's holster, I use Kydex or leather with Gen 2, 3, 4 and 5 Glocks with no issues. And my Glocks get cleaned less than any of my guns.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It sounds like the nylon/cloth of the Uncle Mikes is retaining moisture. I would ditch that asap and put the Glock in a Kydex holster, or leather that has been properly treated.

If it is in a safe, and you live in a humid climate. there are various methods and preventative measures you can take to avoid issues in the future. Some of it depends on what state of readiness you want to keep your gun in though. Some of my handguns are kept in a safe in their own hard side cases and I toss in moisture absorbing silica gel desiccant packs that often come in various products. I re-purpose these and use them to prevent rust on my guns.

FYI, they can be re-used if they become ineffective. Just stick them in the oven at 250-275 degrees for an hour or so and they will dry out and be good to go again.

Hope you find at least some of this useful.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
Now for the argument, is there a better holster that will limit rust development, better wipe down/oiling method (currently an Outers cloth and Bore Tech oil), etc.
As mentioned earlier, make sure your holster is made from non-hydroscopic materials. I can't recommend leather as it requires work to keep it from becoming a rust tomb. I quit using leather in the mid-90s when kydex and other materials became available. All it took was a week of coastal rain to change my mind on materials.

I think you can get away with cleaning and recoating. Clean using brake cleaner, acetone, etc. Something that will remove old oil. The recoat and allow to dry for 30 min with something that is good rust preventative. Eezox, Ballistol, FP10, etc.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My choice is to store handguns outside a holster. That way the gun won't absorb any moisture. It only takes a couple of seconds to put a gun in a holster so there's not much time lost. The Glocks I use regularly are stored near their holsters so it's all convenient. I use moisture absorbing materials in my gun safe.

I have a number of Gen 4 Glocks and have shot them regularly in matches in the rain here in Western Oregon using Kydex holsters. I've never had a problem with rust. However, South Carolina is more humid than Western Oregon, so you may want to clean the gun thoroughly and then regularly use a good rust preventative as suggested by others.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Supposedly the newer Glock coatings aren’t as anti corrosion resistant as the older ones due to environmental laws. Having said that I’ve never had an issue keeping a Glock rust free.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leather can retain moisture and cause rust. Not sure with Nylon?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I use to carry a G-19 when I worked on wind farms she didn't like sweat no SS GOT RID OF IT FOR A LOW COST sd9ve S&W which has SS don't miss the glock at all.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tstorm1: I am shocked by your report/contention!
I carried a Glock Model 22 professionally 24/7/365 for 7 (seven) years in one of this nations rainiest cities! I swam with that Glock on my hip NUMEROUS times (only a couple intentionally!) let alone the constant rain and moist air - and NEVER saw a SPECK of rust on that pistol, ever?
Everytime I swam with it I returned to my duty station and compressed air dried it then cleaned it but that pistol often (10 to 15 times a month!) was exposed to rain as it was carried on my hip and cleaning was sporadic then.
I would have bought that pistol in a minute but city ordinance required it be issued to me for at least 10 years before I could buy it upon my retirement.
I honestly have never seen a speck of rust on any Glock I have owned or those belonging to officers I worked with - but these were early vintage (generation) Glocks.
I sure hope this is not a new norm for Glocks pistols.
By the way when I did/do dry and clean my Glock(s) I use/used "Break-Free" as a coating, for protection.
Hope your situation gets resolved.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Tstorm1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the responses! Thinking it has to do with the new coating process and the specific holster. Had a quiet Christmas so did some research based on responses and have a new holster and oil/preservative on the way. Thanks again and best to all in 2023!

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I simply don’t know what I would do if I found rust spots on a Glock.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
I simply don’t know what I would do if I found rust spots on a Glock.
You should repost your pics of your LCP.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dla
I quit using leather in the mid-90s when kydex and other materials became available. All it took was a week of coastal rain to change my mind on materials..
You make an excellent point... And frankly something I hadn't thought of.. TY.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.