Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I thought I'd better start a new thread and not hijack the other one going.

My question is how are temperature insensitive powders made? Are they designed that way or is it a lucky coincidence? What manufacturing process allows some powders to not be affected by temperature where other powders are?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Couldn't tell you details but one part is generally to start with stick powder.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Probably there are more stick temp-resistant powders than spherical, but there are also a bunch of sphericals, some of which aren't advertised as temp-resistant. One is Ramshot Big Game, which in my testing over the years in a lot of different cartridges has proven as temp-resistant as any of the Hodgdon Extremes.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of producing temp-resistant powders, because powder companies understandably tend to be very reticent to discuss their manufacturing techniques, especially to gun writers who might write about them publicly.

But did indirectly hear of one technique, from a powder distributor who'd visited a major powder factory. The folks there told him that flattening the granules of spherical powders (which they called "laminating") made them more temp-resistant--but also less accurate.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. So maybe the shape of the powder kernals does something to the burn consistency? I thought it would be more to do with chemical makeup of the powder.

But probably something we'll never really know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
single base powders are normally more temp stable than double base powders due to the nitroglycerine in double base powders, however the double base powders have aa lower flame temp. at max pressure, but they tend to burn dirtier at less than max pressures.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Elvis
Thanks for the replies. So maybe the shape of the powder kernals does something to the burn consistency? I thought it would be more to do with chemical makeup of the powder.

But probably something we'll never really know.

I am sure there's some chemistry in there as well, probably in the powder coatings.

Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
single base powders are normally more temp stable than double base powders due to the nitroglycerine in double base powders, however the double base powders have aa lower flame temp. at max pressure, but they tend to burn dirtier at less than max pressures.

That tended to be true a few years ago, but are plenty of very temp-resistant double-based powders these days, both spherical and extruded.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Wrong! It isn’t stick or ball.

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2013/IMEM/W15931_Vogelsanger.pdf

2013 manufacturing change by RUAG and NAMMO.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Wrong! It isn’t stick or ball.

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2013/IMEM/W15931_Vogelsanger.pdf

2013 manufacturing change by RUAG and NAMMO.

But the EI powders are double base powders, single base does not contain nitroglycerine, all double base powders do.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those constructing their Christmas rocket ship may find this info...useful.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.