Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scottf270
Drove a couple of Dakota's for 15 years. Put many a hard mile hunting out of them. Wanted to replace the last one with another small truck.

Really wanted to like the new Frontier. Thought it drove better than a Tacoma and power train and seating position was better also. Back seat and overall size seemed small. Price was actually a bit higher than the Toyota.

In the end, I bought a V6 Ram used in quad cab. I just didn't see any advantage price or mpg wise to the small trucks. Will remember my Dakota's fondly but already like the Ram better.

I went from the Frontier to a V6 Ram, and it was better than the Frontier in every single regard. Much smoother, much quieter, much more comfortable, better economy (much better on the highway) and more powerful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The all-new 2023 Frontier is likely a far better truck than the Tacoma.

Fwiw, I'm a devoted 2020 Toyota Tundra owner (and Lexus and Toyota Yaris) and huge fan--other than the disastrous rollout of the new '22 Tundra--and all of the reading I've done shows a fabulous new truck by Nissan. If people really compare them the Nissan will enjoy great sales.

We get the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it,' thinking, but the '23 Tacoma is yesterday's news until Toyota gets done reaming people with dated technology and old sheetmetal.
That said, apparently Toyota is FINALLY offering a new Taco for '24, time will tell.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Aviator
I bought a new Toyota 4wd in 1987 didn’t even make 100k miles and the frame rusted out. Not a bit of rust on my 2011 Frontier yet.

Now that is a valid comparison. You must be hell on a truck. I bet you see way more Toyota trucks on the road than Nissan and in much better shape.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a base 2019 Frontier, 71,000 on it now no problems. I actually wanted a Tacoma but it didn’t fit the budget.

A friend has a new Tacoma he bought because his 100,000+ mile Frontier was having problems

Three people at work however
have high mileage ~200,000 mile Nissans; two Frontiers and a Titan, they report no problems so far, so I have my fingers crossed.

My Frontier does have a crappy turning radius, but that’s why God invented three-point turns, the backup camera helps a lot.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tacoma's have zero balls. I've owned 5 (2001x2, 2009, 2010, 213). Owned 1 frontier (2012). The frontier was the better made pickup.

I now drive a Nissan Titan xd. Does exactly what I need it to do.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/23/22.
IC B2

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My brother's x-terra is at 280 k and has been a very reliable vehicle. I was shopping both the Frontier and Tacoma back in March but dealers were charging thousands over sticker because of supply/demand issues and getting it. I ended up with a GMC Canyon at4 that has been good so far but its early yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How is the turning radius? On the previous generation, it was school bus like. Other than that my Frontier was superior to the Tacoma it replaced in every way that mattered to me. Better price, better fuel economy, more comfortable and quieter.
All that might be true, but Nissan trucks are not in the same league reliability wise.

I got a '92 toyota pu with 350K and a '05 nissan frontier with 292K. It's hard to compare the 2 trucks, because the toyota was a plane jane 4 cyl truck and the frontier is a crewcab 6 cyl. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drove a 1991 Extracab 4x4 pickup (Hilux) from October 1990 until April 2011. Excellent truck. It finally needed some work and the family was of an age when size mattered. I tried to get them sold on a crewcab Tacoma, but they wanted more space.

I started looking at fullsize trucks. My friend had had a 2007 Tundra and I new I didn't like it, especially when it would cost 8-10 thousand more dollars to get the same equipment I could get on a Ford F150 Supercrew FX4 with leather seats. I did my on-line research and was happy (and still am with the Ford) with the Ford.

I agree with those that say the newest Tacomas are not as comfortable to sit in as previous models.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Before the Renault merger they were very reliable

Drove my fair share of nissan pathfinders prior to merger.....
Was very happy with the 2009-2011 models a had.

Once the pathfinder body style changed in '13 ive been a 4runner guy ever since.

Never understood why nissan dumped the xterra.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Had a bunch of frontiers , only 1 issue with a transfer case piece at 90K and they traded me out if it pretty reasonable.
3 Ford F150s (wife wanted more room for camping stuff) .
2 of the three have had problems. Seriously considering another Frontier if I buy another new pickup. Wife needs to learn to pack better.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a 22 Frontier sv crew cab 4x4. I really like it and it rides and drives great. The turning radius is still not as good as others. You actually feel like you're sitting in a truck and not low down like a Tacoma. I've had it a little over a year. My only complaint is the transmission downshifting alot when going up a hill with the cruise set.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for all the input. I'm picking up a 2023 Frontier Pro-4X Crew cab today. I owned a 2015 Tacoma but could never get comfortable during road trips. This Frontier has great leg room and the seats feel quite comfortable. Big V6 produces good hp and torque, mated to a 9 speed transmission. Towing capacity is well over 6,000 lbs. I'm excited to pick it up and feel good about the decision.

There is a back story on why I'm buying a mid sized pickup but I'll not go into that here.

Merry Christmas all!!

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I bought a 2022 frontier, started looking at the Toyota, but a couple of things turned me off it. Mostly the ergonomics of the interior and its ride. Pricing wise the toyota dealer was asking quite a bit over list and the the similar equipped frontier was ~6K less.

For me the truck is an extra vehicle, for towing and some hunting trips so we don't put big miles on it, but so far, so good on the Frontier.

I have to say the midsize trucks have come a long way. Towing wise I think the new frontier is better tow vehicle than my 2004 1500 dodge which was my last pick up.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Thanks for all the input. I'm picking up a 2023 Frontier Pro-4X Crew cab today. I owned a 2015 Tacoma but could never get comfortable during road trips. This Frontier has great leg room and the seats feel quite comfortable. Big V6 produces good hp and torque, mated to a 9 speed transmission. Towing capacity is well over 6,000 lbs. I'm excited to pick it up and feel good about the decision.

There is a back story on why I'm buying a mid sized pickup but I'll not go into that here.

Merry Christmas all!!

Never owned a Tacoma, but a friend has had a few. When I ride in ‘em, I feel like I’m riding in a car (not in a good way). My rear end is only a few inches off the floor, and my feet/legs are way out in front of me. Just don’t find it comfortable/appealing position for a “truck”.

Combine that with the dismal mileage (17-18mpg), and the piss-poor towing capacity, (and until the recent Bidenflation, it was only $5-$7k less than a V8 fullsize), I just didn’t see the appeal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on the new wagon, OSU. I seriously considered a mid-size when I was shopping in Oct/Nov. IMO, the Frontier was the best of the bunch as I found it very comfortable, quiet, and smooth. I liked the Ranger, too, but the dealers were way too proud of them. The Colorado/Canyon drove pretty well but they already look 10 years old. Ultimately, I decided to stick with a 1500 but the smaller trucks have come a long way. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts after a few thousand miles.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll post some initial thoughts after a week or so and more as I get miles put on it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nothing wrong with the nissan. It's still a small pickup! Get what you want, make yourself happy. Who gaf what people here say!

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
For the record, this will be a daily driver and used for towing a light camper. I have a 1 Ton Super Duty if required.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
How is the turning radius? On the previous generation, it was school bus like. Other than that my Frontier was superior to the Tacoma it replaced in every way that mattered to me. Better price, better fuel economy, more comfortable and quieter.
All that might be true, but Nissan trucks are not in the same league reliability wise.

Interesting that you mention that. My Tacoma went to the shop for a valve spring recall of some sort. Got it back and it pinged like crazy. That's when I got rid of it and got the Frontier.
Paul

do Toyota products act like Ruger products around you? wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lucas1
I have a 22 Frontier sv crew cab 4x4. I really like it and it rides and drives great. The turning radius is still not as good as others. You actually feel like you're sitting in a truck and not low down like a Tacoma. I've had it a little over a year. My only complaint is the transmission downshifting alot when going up a hill with the cruise set.

When the warranty runs out, go get enough Dextron 3 to change the fluid. Flush out the nissan fluid and replace with the Dextron. It will stop all that downshifting on every hill. I changed mine out about 7 years ago and it hasn't hurt a thing.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,479 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.