Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have 2 Ariens 28 SHO's. They are very good.
I do like the HP to bucket size of the platinum 24, but prefer the simpler chute control of the Deluxe series.

Can't go wrong with Ariens. They all have 14 inch impellers, which makes a big difference in throwing distance, and not clogging in slush.
I have never clogged either of mine.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Szumi
I replaced my 8 horse sears with a Husqvarna after 30+ years, no way is it the beast my old one was. Don't worry about how wide the cut is, worry about strong the engine and transmission is. Lesson learned.

I'm fine with a 24", I'd actually prefer it. A 24" with a big motor like the ariens platinum would be ideal assuming everything else can hold up.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bricklayer
I have 2 Ariens 28 SHO's. They are very good.
I do like the HP to bucket size of the platinum 24, but prefer the simpler chute control of the Deluxe series.

Can't go wrong with Ariens. They all have 14 inch impellers, which makes a big difference in throwing distance, and not clogging in slush.
I have never clogged either of mine.

I'm with you on the platinum size and engine. The chute control seems overly complicated....nothing wrong with a hand crank. I really wish they would do a 24" deluxe sho.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would think the Deluxe 24 would be fine for most snows. Heck it has the same size engine as the Deluxe 28. Might just have to slow down more in very deep, heavy snow.
I actually wanted 2 Deluxe 24's, but found both 28SHO's on Marketplace for price I couldnt refuse.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Buy any brand of snowblower you want........Just be sure it has a HONDA engine on it.

We live in LAKE EFFECT CENTRAL, MEEEECHIGAN. We get 250-300 inches of the white stuff every year and sometimes more. And I have a big and long driveway. My long lived 828 I gifted to my son; still going strong after 25+ years. Now running a newer 928 which is even better. Almost all of the pros up here run Hondas too. The neighbors call me when their "POS, BOT ON END OF SEASON SALE SB" has broken or crapped out again.

If you want the best and longest lasting, buy a Honda SB in the first place.. Buy Once, Cry Once. grin

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I've been running a Honda HS928 snowblower for the last 5 years, or so. It's a 2006 model that I bought from a friend, when they left the state. It's a beast! If I get the angle just right, I can hit Russia from my driveway!

I've run Toro, Ariens, Ryobi, Craftsman, and Husqvarna over the years, and this Honda is the best snowblower I've ever operated. It has a hydrostatic drive, with tracks, starts easy, and chews through snow like no tomorrow.

The only things I've had to fix are a few broken shear pins over the years, but that's an easy fix. The hardest part about replacing a shear pin is finding the 10mm socket. grin

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by NH Hunter
I have the 28 deluxe from ariens and have absolutely no complaints.

Same here.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was hoping for something Honda powered right away. But after seeing prices I'm out. $2,000 is my max.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
I was hoping for something Honda powered right away. But after seeing prices I'm out. $2,000 is my max.

You might be able to score a used Honda blower from someone moving South to warmer climes. Try Craigslist or FB Market place and such. But of course, now is absolutely the worst time to be looking for such a deal on a snowblower......

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
now is the time to buy a mower on craigslist

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been very happy with my Ariens 28. Several seasons under its belt and very reliable in pretty bad conditions at times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by NH Hunter
I have the 28 deluxe from ariens and have absolutely no complaints.

Same here.

+1

(Just read back thru the earlier posts)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yamaha yt 624

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
My 28" 3X Cub Cadet kicked some more butt today, a big drifted over driveway on the old dairy farm across the road where I caretake and hunt. It also cleaned the three jacked up aprons on the garage and the junk of concrete snow left on the exit from the highway! I would normally get my nephew to help me out with his skidsteer, but it is broke down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Airens, 24", electric start, pull start backup, self propelled, 2 stage, tosses snow darn good.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That "in stock" looks good if it is a quality machine. That Chinese POS from Home Depot was in stock at the time.......

No longer made, parts hard to find,or unavailable after 3 years, only blows dry snow about 5 feet now- wet snow doesn't make it out the tube.

My big Honda, from local dealer, on tracks, with down payment back in May/June, cut-off date for ordering was July1.) was supposed to be here in late September or October, then December Not!

Dealer staff has no idea when it will get here, where it (they) is/are etc. Manager doesn't disclose any info about same to staff. I'm figuring since he doesn't, it's gonna be July, or maybe next fall now. If ever. Fuggin showroom is crammed with ATV, UTV, boats, motors, motorcycles....

The plow berms (so far a third the cost of the new unobtanium) are 5 feet high in driveway and lots. Gonna be a problem with any amount of new snow, or without attending to with a skid steer or removal - and those don't cost any $25 rented or contract.

I am not a happy camper..... nor are the others waiting on the unobtaniums. The stack of orders like mine is about 2" high.

Last edited by las; 12/25/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I've been running a Honda HS928 snowblower for the last 5 years, or so. It's a 2006 model that I bought from a friend, when they left the state. It's a beast! If I get the angle just right, I can hit Russia from my driveway!

I've run Toro, Ariens, Ryobi, Craftsman, and Husqvarna over the years, and this Honda is the best snowblower I've ever operated. It has a hydrostatic drive, with tracks, starts easy, and chews through snow like no tomorrow.

The only things I've had to fix are a few broken shear pins over the years, but that's an easy fix. The hardest part about replacing a shear pin is finding the 10mm socket. grin

Same one I have here in the valley. I love this machine! Not sure what year mine is but I bought it new and it's a beast.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I run two Ariens regularly, a 24" deluxe at home and a 22" cheapest that could be bought at work. The home one has been solid for the last twelve years. The one at work hasn't been right since three years after purchase. The engine and trans didn't hold up. As far as Honda SB's, the folks had an older tracked model for years. It lives with coworker now, and is still the finest example of blower tech I've seen. They're well worth the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I scored a 10plus year old airens st24 for nothing. It had old gas in it and never ran past year 1. I cleaned the carb and it runs great. We've had over 36" of snow fall here and it impresses me. It's only a 5hp 24" 2 stage....but punches well above it's belt.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
As I shuffle around the house, watching it snow, with a 105 degree temp, a new blower is looking really good.

Merry Christmas, Gents

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.