Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Cow elk with a muzzle loader from about 5 steps.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Straight down from my tree stand. Literally at the base of my tree that I had climbed 50 feet up. Entrance was between the shoulders and exit on bottom. After I shot it appeared he was still standing looking down at him. Then I realized his legs had simply folded up and had gone straight down and never twitched. After climbing down had to hop over his body to dismount my stand.

Have shot numerous deer that were 5 yards or less from the base of my tree but i was far higher in the tree than they were from the base. Closest I've killed one from the ground was about 8-10 yards.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guy from hunting camp arrived after dark cos he had to work late. Wanted us to see what he killed on the trip to camp. We followed him to his truck and trailer and lo and behold a nice 6 point buck was standing, tho wobbly on the trailer beside his Big Red. We surrounded the trailer and the fight was on. Two grabbed him by the rack and were slung off. Two more heftier ones replaced them and the wrestling match was on. I had a large Case folder and was the designated throat cutter. It took a while to do the deed and in the melee one had his finger cut to the bone and had to go to the ER 30 miles away. Us, the Big Red, the trailer were bloody making a trip to the car wash necessary. Seems 2 ladies ahead of the guy hit the 6 point, he aided them and thru the deer on his trailer thinking it had been killed. Memberable kill at very close range. We talked about it for years.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
22 Steps, Cougar!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Whitetails within 10 feet.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First buck I ever shot, I was 11 or 12 and out squirrel hunting alone.
I was sitting behind a big log and he was running straight at me, shot him in the neck as he jumped the log, maybe 3 feet from the end of the barrel of my 20ga Ithaca single shot.

The paper wadding from the low brass #8 was in his neck, he was a little forked horn Whitetail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 3 1/2 feet.

Big doe coming at a fast walk, straight at the tree I was standing behind. Using a 55# Bear Grizzly and a cedar arrow with a Hilbre broadhead. I drew and side-stepped from behind the tree. She slammed on the brakes with an "OH CRAP !!" look in her eyes. Arrow was AT MOST 1 foot off the bow when it hit her.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine was a small whitetail buck at maybe 10 yards, tops. Closest me or any of my buddies had ever got one. But the following year one of my buddies outdid me. He was sitting in heavy wooded cover on the edge of his field handgun hunting. Just before dark a big 10 point comes walking down the edge of the woods. He held his 6" Colt Python in both hands with arms outstretched from the bushes, waited until the buck came by and dropped the hammer and put a 180 gr. Hornady XTP on it just as the front shoulder went by. He said there was less than a foot between the muzzle and the deer. He had a full shoulder mount done and the taxidermist backed up his story with his questions about how the hide got powder burned so bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have taken two whitetail does, one at 10 yards, one at 625 yards.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by grain
Whitetails within 10 feet.

Came to post this.
When stalking cornfields with a handgun.

Originally Posted by Gunaddict
22 Steps, Cougar!!!

That's close enough!

Last edited by Distridr; 12/25/22.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Doe 8ft. Straight down, doe at 10ft bow also 10 ft on the ground. Coyote 10ft. Coming to my turkey call.

Last edited by saddlering; 12/25/22.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
On different species...

"Yearling" moose, at about 15 yards, head on. Steep uphill angle and his head was stretched high reaching for browse. .338 275 Grand Slam took him just under the jaw, nearly decapitating him and almost flipping him on his back.

I took my first Dall ram at about the same range.

Once flicked the butt of a Mule deer forkie with my fishing rod as he came sneaking by me, wondering where I had disappeared to. That resulted in McManus's "FBLP" on the deer's part. When he bounced off a tree, he changed direction, failed to clear a brush patch, picked himself off the ground, changed direction, and last I saw of him he was about 18 inches high and 20 feet long. He might still be running. 40 years ago, and I still laugh when I think of it. I'm counting it!

Oops- I forgot the black bear. We had spotted it while caribou hunting in the Kenai Mountains, and no caribou in sight, so I tried to get my son on it.

We got over there and no bear. I left him on stand against a big rock while I eased down slope to see if I could find the bear, which I figured had worked it's way down some, over the contour of the slope. He was still tight there, laying down in a 2' deep depression, about 10' long, 4 foot wide, covered in blueberry bushes. I found him when he stuck his head up about 15 feet from me.

No hesitation on my part! Right between the eyes.

A Co mule deer buck at about 10 yards.

Last edited by las; 12/25/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
About 6 ft on a Shiras moose with my recurve bow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cape Buffalo at 11 paces.

Do or do not, there is no try.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have taken two whitetail does, one at 10 yards, one at 625 yards.

2 does?

What's rong with doe meat? Some years I've taken 9 or 6. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A 4 point whitetail at 15 feet. He was walking straight at me and never knew I was there. I was hoping he would turn to get a better shot angle. He just kept coming, so I put a 12ga slug right in the center of his chest. Needless to say, DRT.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
when lion hunting in Botswana back in the 70's I had a huge black maned wounded lion charge out of the brush and pounce on me. At the same instant he enveloped my entire head in his mouth, I stretched my arm as far as I could back and stuck my middle finger right up his ass. Amazingly the lion let go of my head momentarily giving me a split second to draw my 10mm glock and shoot him right under the throat and into his brain. The guides still talk about that hunt around the campfires to this day.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tesoro
when lion hunting in Botswana back in the 70's I had a huge black maned wounded lion charge out of the brush and pounce on me. At the same instant he enveloped my entire head in his mouth, I stretched my arm as far as I could back and stuck my middle finger right up his ass. Amazingly the lion let go of my head momentarily giving me a split second to draw my 10mm glock and shoot him right under the throat and into his brain. The guides still talk about that hunt around the campfires to this day.

Just curious if your timeline is correct. I thought the 10mm was introduced in the 80s.

I bet your finger stunk for days. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About twenty feet on a four point whitetail. I was squirrel hunting, stopped to eat lunch in a clearing, propped up against a stump in the sun and went to sleep. Woke up and there it was.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mike70560
[quote=Tesoro]when lion hunting in Botswana back in the 70's I had a huge black maned wounded lion charge out of the brush and pounce on me. At the same instant he enveloped my entire head in his mouth, I stretched my arm as far as I could back and stuck my middle finger right up his ass. Amazingly the lion let go of my head momentarily giving me a split second to draw my 10mm glock and shoot him right under the throat and into his brain. The guides still talk about that hunt around the campfires to this day.
Just curious if your timeline is correct. I thought the 10mm was introduced in the 80s.

TESORO: I bet your favorite rock group is Freddy and the Dreamers.]

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.