Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by Raeford
Thanks Grandad!!!
He was head cashier/teller at a local bank back in the 40's-50's & early 60's.
He went through all of the tills evenings and picked out any gold and valuable silver.

Dad has been gifting it to my brothers and I each Christmas.
Embezzler, huh?

Nope, he replaced anything he took with 'Legal Tender'
I should have add a 😀

I figured.....
Damn glad that he did it!
Have several $20, 10, 5 gold coins along with many, many silver $1's, .50, .25, .10

FJB & FJT
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks Grandad!!!
He was head cashier/teller at a local bank back in the 40's-50's & early 60's.
He went through all of the tills evenings and picked out any gold and valuable silver.

Dad has been gifting it to my brothers and I each Christmas.
Embezzler, huh?

Nope, he replaced anything he took with 'Legal Tender'
I should have add a 😀

I figured.....
Damn glad that he did it!
Have several $20, 10, 5 gold coins along with many, many silver $1's, .50, .25, .10
Now I wish I was related to an embezzler! 😀

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I don't consider PMs to be investments. I consider them to be insurance.

That is a good way to look at them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I don't consider PMs to be investments. I consider them to be insurance.

That is a good way to look at them.
Indeed, however, as Mike Maloney points out, it can also be a vehicle (from time to time, at key points in history) for massive transferences of wealth, i.e., from those who do not possess it to those who do.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Curious what percent of ones total "investment" portfolio do folks have in precious metals?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Curious what percent of ones total "investment" portfolio do folks have in precious metals?
Are you talking PM funds (paper gold) or PMs in hand? Or both combined?

Last edited by Hastings; 12/28/22. Reason: added last sentence

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought quite a bunch in 2019 for $14.50 an ounce. I would say that was a better investment than most of your tech stocks. Pawn shop here is paying $.50 or so over spot just to try to keep a little inventory. I predict it will push $30 per ounce in 2023. I say hold some but diversify if you can in stocks, land, guns and gold 😁

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by RJY66
On another note, there is something strange about the lack of rise in precious metal prices considering the inflation which is devaluing the fiat currency of the USA.

No sir, not strange at all.

Precious Metals keep up with inflation over the very long term but don't do well during periods when the Fed is raising rates. I've seen this movie before. During the last year, the dollar HAS NOT BEEN DEVALUING against other currencies and risk assets and PM's are sort of a hybrid....part commodity, part currency, part risk asset. The fact that the dollar has been devaluing against gas and groceries is throwing people a curve ball.

I think its a pretty good chance that when the Fed goes back to easy money, likely after it breaks the economy, the PMs could go on a run and perhaps lead the risk assets on the way back up for a time....that will be your adjustment for inflation. I've noticed on this last dip in stocks, PMs are holding up pretty good on a relative basis.....actually very good. During some cycles PMs bottom months before the stock market.
Do you think there is fear hiding in the background that precious metals like gold could again be made unlawful for private ownership? There was prison threatened the last time if you hoarded gold. That could put a damper on prices.

No, I don't think that is an issue for the foreseeable future. Right now its all about rates.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by papalondog
I bought quite a bunch in 2019 for $14.50 an ounce. I would say that was a better investment than most of your tech stocks. Pawn shop here is paying $.50 or so over spot just to try to keep a little inventory. I predict it will push $30 per ounce in 2023. I say hold some but diversify if you can in stocks, land, guns and gold 😁
A pawn shop paying MORE than something’s worth?

They must smoking that $300 a lb weed

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I got some real copper pennies upstairs in a glass jar mixed in with those new fangled ones I bet....

#justwantinclusioninthethread!!!

👍🏻🤘🤗🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🤗🤘👍🏻

Arrrrgh....

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

Spot isn't "what something's worth." Spot is merely the paper contract price, i.e., the price to hold a contract that says it's based on silver, but isn't really. It's a written promise that's well known not to be deliverable, so naturally it goes for less than the real thing in the hand.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fifty cents over spot is a BARGAIN unless you are one of those who insist you only buy below spot. The large PM sites usually sell small amounts of silver eagles for roughly $15 over spot. A person would have to be a retarded fool to sell silver for below spot.
I would buy silver eagles all day long for $1 over spot

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Both.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Today Money Metals Exchange will buy your Eagles for $27.78 or sell you some for $39.96 if you buy over 500 at spot of $23.78. So you are getting $4 premium or paying a $16.18 premium or about 168% of the melt value.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Fifty cents over spot is a BARGAIN unless you are one of those who insist you only buy below spot. The large PM sites usually sell small amounts of silver eagles for roughly $15 over spot. A person would have to be a retarded fool to sell silver for below spot.
I would buy silver eagles all day long for $1 over spot

Last edited by Hastings; 12/28/22. Reason: added last sentence

Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Both.
Personally about 35% that I know of but I have some commodity funds that are invested in various commodities some of which are surely precious metals.

Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those of you that have American eagle silver dollars, do y’all hang on to those or sell when prices get higher. I understand they have more of a value but don’t know how or why? Wanting to learn more about them

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by slumlord

Spot isn't "what something's worth." Spot is merely the paper contract price, i.e., the price to hold a contract that says it's based on silver, but isn't really. It's a written promise that's well known not to be deliverable, so naturally it goes for less than the real thing in the hand.

Had an old farmer here who is long passed away, but he would say, "If I could buy you for what you're worth and sell you for what you think you're worth, I'd be a rich man."

I will buy a lot of silver if I could get it for $.50 over spot. Haven't sold ANY for over 20 years. I call the wife the silver whore. She gets silver, I get guns.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
US Silver Eagles are the worst possible way to go nowadays. I bought a few dozen way back when they were a couple dollars over spot, but that was a long time ago. Recently they were commonly selling for spot x2.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
US Silver Eagles are the worst possible way to go nowadays. I bought a few dozen way back when they were a couple dollars over spot, but that was a long time ago. Recently they were commonly selling for spot x2.
I agree. Junk silver & generic for the win.

In a EOTWAWKI situation, there's no way I'd trade items for less silver just because the silver was US Mint. Silver Town has a much better record of honesty than .Gov!

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by huntsonora
For those of you that have American eagle silver dollars, do y’all hang on to those or sell when prices get higher. I understand they have more of a value but don’t know how or why? Wanting to learn more about them

I been dabbling in silver for well over 40 years. Still own some that was bought in the $14 range. I came to the conclusion it is easier to collect than make money off of. Sure, I could sell some eagles today and make some profit but that’s after holding them for many years.
Most pawn shops and online retailers only pay a little over spot. Then factor in shipping and insurance costs.

The best way to sell is locally for a few dollars less than big dealers charge or online at forums such as these. Making money buying/selling gold/silver is difficult.

Good luck

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,816
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.