Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
.999 bars from Adyen Coins in NJ

Dam it Daddy yew lye. Yew nevr god enny silvor. Yew uset too steel weelwaits en sprey em wit metalick Crylawn then tri two pawne em fore yore vises lyke Natie Eyese en tripse too boice towne.

GB1

American Precious Metals Exchange (apex.com)

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by EdM
Curious what percent of ones total "investment" portfolio do folks have in precious metals?
Are you talking PM funds (paper gold) or PMs in hand? Or both combined?

Both.
Personally about 35% that I know of but I have some commodity funds that are invested in various commodities some of which are surely precious metals.

Appreciate the reply. Though a long time active investor I have never dabbled in precious metals short of a few gold companies buried in a mutual or two.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by badger
https://bullionexchanges.com/deals

One of the places I buy from. I typically buy Silver Eagles.

I've bought from these guys and from SD Bullion on my last few orders. Most online places are legitimate if they will take a credit card and have been around for a few years.

The premiums on eagles and junk are super high right now. They charge at least $10 over spot when you but but want to give you barely over spot when you sell to then. Its easy to get hurt with those big spreads and hard to make anything.

Some places have decent deals on 5 or 10 ounce bars sometimes. They'll charge maybe $3 over spot per ounce when you buy but will often give you spot or spot plus $1 when you sell it back. The huge premiums are hard to overcome.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 12/28/22.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Is that typical of folks here? Read of it some but little of the value hoped.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
US Silver Eagles are the worst possible way to go nowadays. I bought a few dozen way back when they were a couple dollars over spot, but that was a long time ago. Recently they were commonly selling for spot x2.
I agree. Junk silver & generic for the win.
Yep.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Some places have decent deals on 5 or 10 ounce bars sometimes. They'll charge maybe $3 over spot per ounce when you buy but will often give you spot or spot plus $1 when you sell it back. The huge premiums are hard to overcome.

Bb
It's not about making money (although that's possible given certain conditions). It's about insurance against hyperinflation and monetary collapse. Historically, during periods of hyperinflation and monetary collapse, folks with a little gold and silver were able to continue to buy essentials, while those without could not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
So for those who invest/purchase metals for the home - how and where are you getting silver?

Bars, coins, local guy, on-line etc?

My focus has always been on junk silver, but recently that has changed. I always keep a calculator handy when I'm pricing stuff to buy.

And I've never had any luck selling to suppliers like JM Bullion, or APMEX. They are good outfits and generally fair with prices, but have never been offered enough by them to sell them anything back.

My only real experience in selling silver came in the summer of 2009 when the price jumped to over $44 per troy oz. In my community there were 2 storefronts set up just to purchase silver, and I sold most of my junk silver at a very handy profit. The guy I sold to paid cash in hand. He had a scale set up and was able to test for purity. He liked junk silver because it is a known source and simple to appraise.

Based on my experience, I don't worry about or consider selling until conditions make it a simple choice, like in 2009.

I buy in the smallest denomination that I can afford. One ounce rounds are generally more expensive to produce and market than larger denomination bar silver.
I didn't buy today, but priced one oz rounds at within 36 cents of the PPO of a best value 100 oz bar. That is a good value, in my mind.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks all - I just want to add some to the safe and I'm curious as to how others did as well. Bars/coins etc.

Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bought a little from South Texas Precious Metals here and there over the years. Reasonably good prices. As noted by others, the premium on ASEs is ridiculous and has been for some time.

https://www.texmetals.com/

IC B3

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess the question is - is an oz of silver an oz of silver for you when it comes to value in your mind?

That being Spot silver is XX price. I have a silver eagle and I have a silver bar - both 1 oz, does it matter to you which you'd receive for that spot price?

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Easy" button is pre 65 dimes and quarters. Half dollars if you want to get fancy.

Not a silver bug, but as you said simple enough to have on hand. I bought by the $5 - $10 face value here and there to add to the safe. Grade doesn't matter, don't care if they're Mercurys, Roosevelts, etc... Think I've got $60-65 face in dimes and about $30 face in quarters. Maybe 15-20 half dollars. No muss, no fuss. Set and forget, probably never actually need them but I guess they're around if it comes to that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I guess the question is - is an oz of silver an oz of silver for you when it comes to value in your mind?

That being Spot silver is XX price. I have a silver eagle and I have a silver bar - both 1 oz, does it matter to you which you'd receive for that spot price?
The best way to acquire silver is if you have a store catering to low end cliental. Put up a sign advising that you buy U.S. pre-1965 silver coins. You are basically getting 7/10 of an ounce for every $1 dollar face value. So you can pay up to $14 on the dollar and be OK.

I would never conduct such a business out of my home. Unless you would enjoy an armed incursion by folks wishing to appropriate your stash.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hillestadj
"Easy" button is pre 65 dimes and quarters. Half dollars if you want to get fancy.

Not a silver bug, but as you said simple enough to have on hand. I bought by the $5 - $10 face value here and there to add to the safe. Grade doesn't matter, don't care if they're Mercurys, Roosevelts, etc... Think I've got $60-65 face in dimes and about $30 face in quarters. Maybe 15-20 half dollars. No muss, no fuss. Set and forget, probably never actually need them but I guess they're around if it comes to that.
This.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Personally, I wouldn't give you squat for the Eagle over the bar. But the market seems to say a lot of people disagree with me.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Personally, I wouldn't give you squat for the Eagle over the bar. But the market seems to say a lot of people disagree with me.

I have both, but the difference is it's a lot easier to trade for goods and services with coins than bars, if it came to that.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wouldn’t pay a premium for coins over bars. But I dam sure would buy coins over bars if they were the same price. Priced the same, Eagles will sell much faster than bars.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by papalondog
I bought quite a bunch in 2019 for $14.50 an ounce. I would say that was a better investment than most of your tech stocks. Pawn shop here is paying $.50 or so over spot just to try to keep a little inventory. I predict it will push $30 per ounce in 2023. I say hold some but diversify if you can in stocks, land, guns and gold 😁
A pawn shop paying MORE than something’s worth?

They must smoking that $300 a lb weed

Silver is a bifurcated market. But I am sure you know that...and you are just stirring the pot.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And regarding "paper silver" and "paper gold"...I consider such to be at the top of Exter's pyramid....with the derivatives.

Not interested. I only buy and hold physical.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarbe
And regarding "paper silver" and "paper gold"...I consider such to be at the top of Exter's pyramid....with the derivatives.

Not interested. I only buy and hold physical.
Smart

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,486
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.