Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Heard the news earlier , my favorite country singer has turned his back to the wind and rode over the hill! Ian was 89 .
Wrecked my danged day.....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12/29/22.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite western singer. I enjoyed his songs for many years and always will. He was a Canadian treasure. Loved his ballads. He was the real deal.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Overall, he didn't make my kind of music, but I liked quite a few of his songs.

I'm pretty sure that his song "Four Strong Winds" will live on for quite a while.

Great tune and words!

John

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
One of my favourite albums of his was

Old Corrals and Sage Brush.

R.I.P Ian Tyson

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
catnthehat;
Good morning sir, I hope you're getting weather you can handle on your side of the big hills and despite the bad news yesterday you're well.

Our girls grew up listening to Cowboyography I think it was - maybe it was 18 Inches of Rain - Live at Longview and then the album he did with Tom Russell - Cowboy Real.

We saw Ian Tyson and Corb Lund together at the Vogue in Vancouver back in 2018 and while Ian's voice wasn't fantastic anymore, it was a good show.

We went with our eldest daughter and came away thinking it might be the last time we get to see Ian live, which it was.

All the best to you folks in the New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good Morning Dwayne, yes thanks we are all well up here, I just realized you are in Okanogan Falls, I have in laws there!
We are out of the deep freeze for a bit and I was even able to shoot a bit at 800 meters yesterday, so all is not lost!
I grew up listening to Ian Tyson and still enjoy listening to his music .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Ian Tyson and he is truly Canadian that had real life problems many of us have/had.
RIP Cowboy.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I was very lucky to see him perform years ago in Longview. Just a small community center with a few hundred people.

One of my most favorite country singers, he will be missed. My favorite song was "La Primera"

RIP Ian, Thanks for the memories.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cowboyography was his greatest album IMHO. Cowboy Pride is an incredible piece of songwriting as are some of the others on the album. "My Own Heart's Delight" is another good one. I saw him live in 1992 in Lea Park AB.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by PSE
I was very lucky to see him perform years ago in Longview. Just a small community center with a few hundred people.

One of my most favorite country singers, he will be missed. My favorite song was "La Primera"

RIP Ian, Thanks for the memories.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always thought Renegade was one of his best. Also liked most of the folk tunes he did with Sylvia. RIP.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Likewise, saw him in a small venue in Denver about 15 years ago. Hard to beat 'Magpie' or 'Navajo Rug'!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I grew up on folk music in the 60's, Ian and Sylvia were one of my favorites. Canada has contributed so much to the folk music scene! We'll be attending Stanfest in Nova Scotia this summer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RIP Ian. four strong winds is in the top 5 of my all time favorites.
this old world is losing treasures fast.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
I grew up on folk music in the 60's, Ian and Sylvia were one of my favorites. Canada has contributed so much to the folk music scene! We'll be attending Stanfest in Nova Scotia this summer.
Bogtrotter,

I'm sure you will have a great time at Stanfest. Just too far for me to travel (I'm in Sweden).

I was very fortunate to see Stan Rogers perform in either 1982 or 1983 and to sit with him, his bother Garnet, and quite a few of the other singers & musicians after the gig.

I recall the warm friendly feeling as we sat around a table and they continued to sing.

I even sang along and nobody told me shut up - although I did sing quietly! laugh

Since then, I've seen Garnet perform three or four times.

For those who are wondering who Stan or Garnet is, here is a youtube link for a song from each of them.

Garnet Rogers: Next Turn of the Wheel

Stan Rogers: Barrett's Privateers (one of the songs I sang along along with in 82 or 83!)

John

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jpb;
Good morning and Happy New Year to you my old cyber friend, I trust this finds you well in your northern home.

Thanks for the mention of Stan and Garnet Rogers as they're wonderful as well in my view.

Since I was a prairie kid, the first time I heard this song was running the tractor late one fall night and it stuck with me.

Best to you in 2023 sir.

Dwayne

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Tyson's, "Summer Wages", original edition, IS the BC coast during the days of logging and I cannot think of a tune that is so real when compared with how it was.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Otto1217;
Happy New Year my old cyber friend, I hope you're getting decent weather a few valleys east of us and you're all well.

We're having a cold and snowy winter here, in the 38 years we've been in the Okanagan this is the earliest that the snow has arrived and then stayed - with no sign of leaving anytime soon either. Ah well, it makes for good skiing and a decent snowpack which might mean a shorter fire season?

Thanks for the comments on "Summer Wages", the fellows I know from that era told me the very same thing.

All the best to you in 2023.

Dwayne

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
jpb;
Good morning and Happy New Year to you my old cyber friend, I trust this finds you well in your northern home.

Thanks for the mention of Stan and Garnet Rogers as they're wonderful as well in my view.

Since I was a prairie kid, the first time I heard this song was running the tractor late one fall night and it stuck with me.

Best to you in 2023 sir.

Dwayne
Aha Dwayne!

I was torn between posting "The Field Behind the Plow" and Barrett's Privateers - both two of my favourites!

I think "The Field Behind the Plow" is a stronger song...

I only went with Barrett's Privateers because of my personal memory of singing the chorus with Stan, Garnett and a bunch of others back in the early eighties. blush

Your prairie friend now in Sweden,
John

Last edited by jpb; 01/02/23. Reason: spelin misstake
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 64 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.