Print Thread
Hop To
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Lately I've been looking at a Seekins Havak PH2. In researching the rifle, I cam across an older thread on another board about replacing the barrel. A gunsmith was asking advice from other gunsmiths about installing a new barrel. It seemed rather complicated to me. There was a sleeve that mates to the bolt and action and some concern about the cartridge head not being fully supported upon firing. For those of you in the know, are these legitimate long-term concerns? Or, was the gunsmith just out of his depth?

The model I am interested in is the long action PH2 in 28 Nosler. I would be using this for elk hunting in Colorado. They say the long action models come in around 7.2 lbs. So, done all up and loaded, it's no lightweight but I have hunted those mountains with heavier rifles before. But for those of you who have hunted with a PH2, what were the ergonomics like to you? Yes, that's subjective but what isn't? I'd like to hear your experience with the rifle and your likes and dislikes.

Thanks

HR IC

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have a 7mm REM Mag in the PH2. Actually my son stole it from me shortly after I bought it. Ridiculously accurate. Great ergonomics imho. Weight is about a pound more than perfection, but I knew that when I bought it. Would also prefer the barrel to be 2” shorter.

Having said that, it’s simply a fantastic killing tool. It’s clear the boys at Seekins actually shoot in the design of the rifle. Haven’t needed it, but l by all accounts customer service is stupid good.

Hard to find anyone that’s been disappointed in their purchase of one across the WWW.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't speak to the .28 nosler but I got one in 6.5prc in October.

Mine is the Urban Shadow pattern, cuz it looks cool, lol.

Put a NF scope on it.

Damn thing is scary accurate. It absolutely loves the Hornady ELDM factory load

That being said, it must have come with deer repellant because every time I took it out hunting, I saw NADA. Take my other rifles out, deer running everywhere.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have one in 300PRC, and it shoots extremely well. It is heavier than I prefer, but the weight makes it balance quite nicely even with the 26" barrel. I have a Zeiss Conquest 4-16x50 on it, and it's not top heavy. They have increased in price, so IMHO I'd look at a Fierce or a custom build. Their proprietary magazines are expensive but available, and are not the best design. The ergonomics are fantastic, but I'm not certain of how the stock's "crosshatch" chickening will last over years of use. My hunting rifles get used, carried, set down on the ground, rocks, etc... Will they get smooth over time? Only time will tell. I like mine a lot! With that, would I buy another? Probably not. It just doesn't give me the $2k "wow factor."

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been using a first gen version of the Havak PH for a couple of years. I really like it for a sporter/heavy sporter weight rifle. If there's not much hiking involved it's the rifle I reach for.

I've been going back/forth on a heavy sporter build and comparing what I want in that build to the PH2. I don't think I can do a build that will meet what I'm looking for in the rifle better than the PH2's blueprint...and the build cost would be a lot more than the PH2 just for the parts.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.