Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When the Lewis and Clark expedition got to the Nez Perce they were fed dog. They like it so much they ate more and the Indians name for white men meant dog eater after that.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have never skinned a wolf but I have skinned Coyotes and Foxes under the skin their fat smells like Dog shidt. Wouldn't eat it unless there was nothing else.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
As mentioned the parasitic load of wild canines is orders of magnitude greater than that of modern domestic canines. I don’t know how much worse the parasitic infestation of a wolf would be compared to bear. I’m not too interested in eating bear meat anyway…mostly because I’m not keen on eating predators.

With that said Lewis & Clark as well as North Korea look at dog as a delicacy. I can’t imagine that any canine from the pre-vaccination era of the 19th century would be any better or worse than wolves or coyotes.

I’ve heard great things about bear meat when properly cooked and taken from a “clean” bear, one that isn’t a dump bear or eating fish. I’m still happy to give any bear meat to a couple friends that love bear.

I’ve heard good things about cougar meat too. It’s been said that “painter” as the old timers referred to “panther” was as fine a wild game meat as could be found anywhere. There again I ain’t interested in eating mountain lions or bobcats unless I was dying of starvation.

I'm with you on all of those critters. I could no more eat a cat than fly.....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd shoot 10 of them, leave 100% of the meat to the worms, and not feel a damn bit bad about it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I'd shoot 10 of them, leave 100% of the meat to the worms, and not feel a damn bit bad about it.

Word.

IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've eaten mountain lion, once only. It was good. Never canine. Porcupine once-not so good - we were drunk and it got a bit dry- you might even say charcoaled.... smile

Sometimes I wonder how wolves survive even tapeworms. I found a dried "pancake" once, out moose hunting. It was about 10 inches in diameter, an inch to 2 inches thick, virtually all tapeworms. If that was wolf scat, that was one sick puppy!

I did not eat the 9 month old wolf I killed.... but that would be the kind to dine on if one were so inclined.

I don't recall her smelling bad, during skinning, but she had been frozen for a week or so - mostly to make sure her lice were gone. Wolves here are lousy- literally - and tend to be bad fur later in the winter. She was killed in November, good pelt, if a bit on the small side.

Last edited by las; 01/03/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Buzzards won’t eat dogs
I've heard that a buzzard won't eat a bobcat either. Just for the record it's BS I've seen buzzards eat both. Why the he'll anyone would eat varmints when there's plenty of deer is beyond me.

Last edited by TrueGrit; 01/04/23.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have no problem killing an animal for reasons other than to eat it. I have put a lot of fox and coyotes on the stretcher and never had the least interest in eating one. I ate dog a few times in the Philippines because it was socially advisable to do so. It was awful…dry, chewy, strong tasting…it was like eating tough, liver that had been way overcooked. I’ve eaten coon, but never cared for it…too greasy for my taste. Muskrat and beaver are both good.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have eaten meat from several spring black bears from Alaska and fall black bear from Newfoundland which fed primarily on blueberries and garbage. I like the Newfoundland black bear the best. It had a good flavor. It reminded me of roast beef. The spring bear didn't have much flavor and was easy to overseason but was still good. I understand that fall black bear that eat fish are disgusting. That being said, I have never eaten wolf but would be willing to try. I would probably not think it was nearly as disgusting as some things that people eat on a regular basis. Canned smoked mussels come to mind.

2 Kings 2:23-24
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

Word.

Worms need to eat too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Newberg is an attention whore evidently, as was Meateater when eating a coyote. That's the kind of stuff you eat when you're attempting not to starve to death, not for TV ratings or idiots telling you what a badass you are. Ridiculous.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Newberg is an attention whore evidently, as was Meateater when eating a coyote. That's the kind of stuff you eat when you're attempting not to starve to death, not for TV ratings or idiots telling you what a badass you are. Ridiculous.

Totally agree with above comment. This is a ridiculous topic and why it is still here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can eat guts, brains, and rotting fish, whats a little dog meat? I imagine you could grind it and make dogsage. I thought about making squirrelsage but thats allot of squirrels.

2 Kings 2:23-24
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yes, he is an attention whore. In this case he is also virtue signaling. That pompous ass thinks he is better than everyone else, especially all you lowlifes on the fire. One of the reasons I don't particularly care for him. He is also best buddy's with Buzz.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nope not me i ain`t eating coyotes - wolves - possum - dogs - cats none of that crap heck i don`t care for goose or duck either , the only way i probably have ate this kind of crap is when i did not know i was eating it at a Chinese buffet place. i have skinned enough coyotes and fox to know a wolf would probably be just as nasty smelling so there is no way i would eat a dirty smelly wolf ick !

Last edited by pete53; 01/06/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would have to be real hungry

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot a mature female wolf in November here in northern B.C. and she did not smell at all while skinning. I didn’t eat any of the meat though. I was surprised because I skinned and tanned a wolf a few years ago for a friend that he had snared, and it smelled horrible. Not really a describable smell.

Last edited by mod7rem; 01/07/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Swamplord
I've never eaten black bear even though I've killed the sh it outta them over the years, got a bunch of Alaskan Native friends that are always thankful for the meat donations

I have a friend who smokes his bears and it makes smoked bear sandwiches to die for......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I thank my Creator that i haven't been so hungry as to need to eat Dogs, Coyotes, Wolves, etc...

Dave
Life Member NRA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I once know an old gentleman who lived across the street from me. Ed was a pretty cool old guy and I hunted with him a few times. He prospected in the summer and trapped in the winter and I always kidded him about being the last of the mountain men.

Anyway, Ed was always happy if he caught a bobcat or mountain lion in one of his traps. The bobcat he would eat in camp and the lion he'd bring home and put it cut and wrapped into the freezer. He said that the lion and bobcat were good eating but coyotes were vile. I've never been lucky enough to kill either one to where I could eat the meat. I did kill a mountain lion that was stalking me in a serious state of mind. She was only a few feet away when I finally decided to shoot. The game warden took her in and would let me carve off a steak or two to try. Bummer!
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,686
Posts18,513,509
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.