Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
We have a ring door bell and a ring camera. The door bell works really good. The ring camera on the driveway never works. I need to get on a ladder and push the reset button and try to reset. The first camera failed and they had to send me another camera. To trouble shoot it Ring made me stand on a ladder on one foot, jump up and down, then blind fold myself and turn the breaker on and off, then repeat standing on the ladder on one foot and jump up and down before they would believe me it didn’t work.

I need to look at getting some dependable cameras. This is a good post, my guess several of us need cameras.

My wife wants to get hard wired cameras as opposed to WiFi connected. Some of the Wi-Fi cameras have to be taken down every few months and charged. Hard wired are probably more reliable.
one thing about the hard wired, I have had a few of the cameras fail due to the wiring going bad, and only a few inches were expose to the elements.

There may be better more durable wiring that what is shipped with the kits, I'm sure there is but the stuff they provide, IMO , doesn't hold up well

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had the NightOwl system and 6 cameras for 10 years . Operates with my internet connection to monitor from my smartphone & laptop plus it has 1tb of hard drive storage. I have it hooked up to a flat screen TV.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I keep up plain ole game cameras

During the rut especially

Just to see who's in the yard destroying scchidt

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Tag

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reolink on Amazon. Has everything you need

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We have 7 blinks, work well

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing
A good PTZ can capture a moving car (AND A PROSECUTABLE LICENSE PLATE) at 200 yards... at night... at 30 miles per hour.
You folks and the Acronyms.

FFS, I worked for various gooberment agencies and it didn't seem this bad.

WTH is a "good PTZ"?

Or a POE? NVR?

The English language we (mostly) speak here in the US of A works real good when spelled out.

Boomer here.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Happy New Year Geno.

I'll just do like I did in high school and skim over the stuff I don't grok and the $10000 systems.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got Lorex system.
Been solid for few years now

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tag

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My son just gave the wife and the Blink home security system. Came w 4 weather proof cameras. Wyfi is required to make them work.

Wife set it up on our cell phones. We can see what’s going on at home just by clicking on a app on the phone screen.

Cameras are true wireless, compact and so far have great video and pics.

Not sure but there might be a 6-7.00 monthly charge if you want pics and video saved for 30 days.

Not sure. I’m a retired LOE, put a bunch of men and women in prison, which I’m sure are getting out. Peice of mind for me.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
We have a ring door bell and a ring camera. The door bell works really good. The ring camera on the driveway never works. I need to get on a ladder and push the reset button and try to reset. The first camera failed and they had to send me another camera. To trouble shoot it Ring made me stand on a ladder on one foot, jump up and down, then blind fold myself and turn the breaker on and off, then repeat standing on the ladder on one foot and jump up and down before they would believe me it didn’t work.

I need to look at getting some dependable cameras. This is a good post, my guess several of us need cameras.

My wife wants to get hard wired cameras as opposed to WiFi connected. Some of the Wi-Fi cameras have to be taken down every few months and charged. Hard wired are probably more reliable.
one thing about the hard wired, I have had a few of the cameras fail due to the wiring going bad, and only a few inches were expose to the elements.

There may be better more durable wiring that what is shipped with the kits, I'm sure there is but the stuff they provide, IMO , doesn't hold up well

I used outdoor boxes for mounting and still used the dry covers on ethernet plugs inside the boxes. Both cameras are either under a porch or the eve.

Were your failed cables on a post outside?

This was one of my concerns when I was planning the install.

I'm going to get a POE Reolink doorbell camera before hot weather. Screw rolling around in a hot attic pulling wire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the one that failed the most was a run I had underneath the deck to show the back yard.

matter of fact, after the 3rd cable (completely exposed for about 3 feet ) under the deck , I quit using it.

But I have had other cables fail at the connection point in the camera just coming out off the eaves

I buy the cheapest stuff you can get though so I get what I pay for.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/01/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA
the one that failed the most was a run I had underneath the deck to show the back yard.

matter of fact, after the 3rd cable (completely exposed for about 3 feet ) under the deck , I quit using it.

But I have had other cables fail at the connection point in the camera just coming out off the eaves

I buy the cheapest stuff you can get though so I get what I pay for.

Oh yeah.

Conduit, boxes and underground CAT6 for the win!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'd like to install a system of three or four outdoor security cameras around the place, and I am overwhelmed with all the choices out there. Bewildered, even.

What I want is wireless cameras for starters. I also want local storage of all camera footage and the ability to monitor cameras and footage via smartphone app (and PCs in the house as well if that is possible). I do NOT want a subscription service or monitoring by a third party and I want all data to remain as private as possible. I haven't found a website where systems are compared and the undesired features can be weeded out.

If anyone knows all about this stuff---or even just a good website where I can compare available systems and easily select one that suits my desires, I'd sure appreciate the info.

Happy new year.

Happy New Year bud! What purpose do you want the cameras to serve? They can serve as a deterrence. They can also give early warning of a possible threat. I will caution you that it is not very likely that LE will be interested in the footage unless it shows evidence of a violent crime. Even then they may not be interested. Investigators in many locations have little time to invest in property crimes anymore.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
We have a Nest system. It does a good job and we have a backup generator, so power isn't a problem.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by blanket
We have 7 blinks, work well
I’ve got the blinks as well and but had them within 100’ of the router and they require Wi-Fi. I also have a solar powered driveway alarm that works well. Depending on terrain the will work up to 1/2 mile and can be placed in discrete places.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hey River, Check out this website . ipcamtalk.com

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used these for a couple years

ZOSI 8CH 1080P PoE Home Security Camera System Outdoor with 2TB Hard Drvie,H.265+ 8-Channel 5MP NVR Recorder,8pcs 2MP 1080P Outdoor Indoor PoE IP Cameras with 120ft Night Vision,Power Over Ethernet https://a.co/d/iiBWqB9

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.