-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How anyone ever got past the sick feeling when you started smoking is beyond me. I couldn’t finish a single cigarette without getting sick, so I never smoked and never understood how someone would continue after getting that sick…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB4

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Stand firm, you’ll beat it. It’s all will power

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I quit four years ago. Never ever thought I would. I’m sure glad I did.
Only time I miss it is when I’m listening to my beagles run.
Hang in there! You can do it!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Started at 15, quit about 40 years ago. Tried many times. What finally worked for me was quitting one at a time. Still carried a pack around, but each time I wanted one I’d tell myself, “No, I can get past this one. Maybe I’ll have the next one, but not this one.” Then I’d get busy until the urge passed. Same thing every time I wanted one. Knew I was just playing games with myself, but it worked. Finally got to the point to where I only had the urge a couple times a day, then a week…by then it was easy to just let it go.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It isn't easy, but damn sure worth it
Hang in

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Seriously - Take it at 5 minute intervals. Then extend it gradually. You can do anything for 5 minutes... even quitting smoking... I know.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
How anyone ever got past the sick feeling when you started smoking is beyond me. I couldn’t finish a single cigarette without getting sick, so I never smoked and never understood how someone would continue after getting that sick…
I love the taste of Camel shorts and I've never felt sick. I don't want to risk the health dangers so I don't smoke. But chewing tobacco, I love that but it messes me up

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good luck to you!

Don’t know how long you smoked, but may I suggest you talk to your doctor about what you can do about checking your current health status, maybe some imaging, to make certain you don’t have anything going in your lungs already that may develop into cancer later. My brother quit at about age 50, but the cancer still got him several years later. He had a huge inoperable tumor in his chest that spread throughout his body. Not a good way out, trust me. When he was diagnosed, my father, who had smoked for 63 years, quit, and lived until minutes before he would’ve turned 96, but COPD plagued him throughout his remaining years, though never to the point he had to live on a oxygen tank.

Again, good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hang in there and don't give in to temptation.
I saw several friends who were going to have "just one" to curb the cravings. It lead to them being hooked again.
If you have just one you are most likely going to give in and start up again.
My late wife could never give them up and she eventually got lung cancer and passed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Please hang in there. . . I'm rooting for ya

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Summer 1999- - - - -I took half a pack of Winston Lights out of my pocket and put them in the console of the car I was driving before walking into an emergency room while having a heart attack. An hours later I had the first of two stents installed in my heart. The car is parked out in the north pasture now, and the smokes are still there. If I ever need one again, I know right where to look.

I did the same thing but when I quit I put a whole pack, unopened, in the glove box so at least I'd have a fresh cigarette if I failed. (👀)

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you feel like you're going to give in, buy a cheap or expensive cigar and take a few drags off of it. It will take the urge away and you don't get that defeated feeling that you would by smoking a cigarette.

Last edited by Jahrs; 01/01/23.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Good luck brother that’s a big move

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you really want to quit you will. I started a number of times only to backslide. Oxygen sat. is never above 90 on my best day now due to 35 years of 3 packs a day, but quitting was the best thing I ever did.

Surgeon that did my knees was a roommate to my liberal-ass brother the Dr., and he allowed as to how he had to put me into deep sleep, and me being overweight to begin with, as a smoker I stood a real chance of stroke from the procedure. He told me if I paid 'em down just 6 weeks before the surgery it would reduce that chance by 50%, if my dumb ass wanted to start back up later, that was my choice, but as my friend and Dr. it was good advice. I had known him most of my life and he was not prone to be a bullchitter, so I thought yeah, I have saved up for that elk hunt and wouldn't it be a bitch if I died during getting my knee fixed...I still have that partial pack of Marlboro Lites, have not had one since.

Some people are lucky and the smell of a cigarette will be really offensive once they stop, not me, my mouth waters every time I get a whiff, and a stiffy if someone is burning a good cigar.

I have not had an upper respiratory infection like I got every year when I smoked since I quit, twice that crap turned into pneumonia, so immediate betterment of life and health was apparant.

Hang in there RR, you can do this.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some good suggestions above. Just take it one day at a time. Have faith you can do it.

Prayers sent.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Good luck to you!

Don’t know how long you smoked, but may I suggest you talk to your doctor about what you can do about checking your current health status, maybe some imaging, to make certain you don’t have anything going in your lungs already that may develop into cancer later. My brother quit at about age 50, but the cancer still got him several years later. He had a huge inoperable tumor in his chest that spread throughout his body. Not a good way out, trust me. When he was diagnosed, my father, who had smoked for 63 years, quit, and lived until minutes before he would’ve turned 96, but COPD plagued him throughout his remaining years, though never to the point he had to live on a oxygen tank.

Again, good luck.

Similar story with my dad. He quit but it was too late as he got cancer couple years later. He fought it for years but finally lost. Won’t say he lived for a while with the cancer, he existed.
Good luck to the OP.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I smoked 3 or 4 packs of Camel straights a day for decades until my daughter was pregnant with my first grandchild. I decided that I wanted to be around to watch him grow up. I quit cold turkey 25 years ago. It's tough to quit, you can do it. The urge to smoke eventually passes.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Pharmseller is right. Single best thing you can do for yourself. You may inspire others and save their lives as well. Make your home and car into smoke free environments. Some of the meds and nicotine products can help a little. Deaths sucks. COPD and stroke might even suck worse. Just win.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hang tough, RR! It is a monumental task ahead of you! I quit 20 years or so ago. Hardest and best thing I ever did!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good luck! Nicotine gum helped me quit. Someday I'll quit the gum...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 71 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,899
Posts18,479,316
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.