Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm thinking about shopping for a semi-auto with:
- a railed dust cover for a weapon light
- a factory-threaded barrel for a suppressor
- suppressor-height factory sights with tritium inserts
- factory-ready for a mini reflex sight (aka MRDS)

Does anyone make one of those? I don't see a Ruger or Smith option...

This would be to conceptually replace a railed pistol with night sights... but without easy MRDS or suppressor capability.

-Chris

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Walther PDP pro comes with all of that except the night sights. However, the sights are Glock interchangeable so any Glock night sight could be added. It’s a big gun. Same weight as a G34, so not heavy, but definitely not your CCW piece.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
I'm thinking about shopping for a semi-auto with:
- a railed dust cover for a weapon light
- a factory-threaded barrel for a suppressor
- suppressor-height factory sights with tritium inserts
- factory-ready for a mini reflex sight (aka MRDS)

Does anyone make one of those?

Springfield just about checks all your boxes, with their XDM Elite, but they do not have the night sights.
https://www.springfield-armory.com/...unches-new-suppressor-ready-xdm-pistols/

I like mine. I put a Viper red dot on it, and it’s fun to shoot with the YHM R9 suppressor.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FN 509 Tactical and FN 45 Tactical are both nice guns.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from sigsauer.com]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, all. I'll check those out...

-Chris

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S&W has pistols that check all the boxes except for night sights on their optics-ready models, and others do as well. I think the reason for that is having tritium sights on a RDS pistol would result in a LOT of dots - up to three dots for the irons and one more for the RDS. I would stay away from tritium if the eventual plan is RDS.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
@JOG, Thanks. Since you mentioned it specifically, I went back to the S&W site... and eventually found the model with threaded barrel, etc. It wasn't obvious, doesn't show up until going through a "build it" process.

(I'm not at this point worried too much about potential "dot clutter." I take the point, but I reckon a red dot will probably stand out enough from the tritium. And probably the only time clutter might be an issue would likely be at night -- when a red dot would probably stand out even more.)

In the meantime, I've found an FN 509 Compact Tactical (509C Tactical) that's within driving distance... so I can go see how it feels.

One unstated requirement is that a candidate must fit my hands as good as or better than the pistol it might replace. Which in turn means I want to lay hands on examples before deciding whether/how to proceed.

-Chris

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
… having tritium sights on a RDS pistol would result in a LOT of dots - up to three dots for the irons and one more for the RDS. I would stay away from tritium if the eventual plan is RDS.

Originally Posted by Ranger4444
I'm not at this point worried too much about potential "dot clutter." I take the point, but I reckon a red dot will probably stand out enough from the tritium. And probably the only time clutter might be an issue would likely be at night -- when a red dot would probably stand out even more.
One cure for “dot clutter” is to eliminate the two dots from the rear sight. If you accept the idea that the rear sight notch serves only as a window through which to view the front sight, rear dots become an unnecessary distraction. With sufficient presentation repetitions, sights come to the target already aligned, thanks to muscle memory. Therefore, in poor light, trust your muscle memory and simply bring the front sight dot to the target:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The red dot of the RDS should be easy to instantly distinguished from the greenish-white Tritium front sight dot. The green HiViz fiber optic sights pictured above are just to demonstrate the concept.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of my sons recently bought one of the tisas px9 duty handgun that has almost everything you asked for except tritium. However it did come with fiber optic front and it uses glock 17 sights so I'm sure you could swap them out. I was really impressed with the gun.

It has a rear plate compatible with the trijicon mini dots.

Uses Sig 226 magazines.

It was a really well thought out and done gun. After seeing it and shooting it a few times, I wouldn't mind having one myself. He got his on sale for $260 at buds, but they're back up to $290 or now he said.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...th+duty+gen3+9mm+4.69tb+18+20+mags+black

Last edited by johna1; 01/01/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,798
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.