Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I can go get basic matte aluminum Weaver brand bases at the local sporting goods store for about $2 a base. At the same store they sell Warne and Leupold brand weaver bases for $30 that are made of steel. They also sell Leupold aluminum weaver bases for about $15.

So ranging from less than $5 to about $30 a pair, am I going to see a real difference in ruggedness and quality (with the screws as well as the bases themselves)? I have a couple of rifles with cheapo weaver bases and they've yet to fail me so far, but I'm willing to fork over some extra cash for some nicer bases with better screws if it means they'll be more likely to hold up to use and abuse.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In all of my shooting experience with rifles from 22 LR to 300 H&H I have used Weaver aluminums with no issues.

I don't understand your comment about screws - how do you judge the quality of a screw by looking at it?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely. Before I switched to Talleys I used them all the time.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been using a Weaver aluminum base on my 45-70 Marlin 1895 for quite some time. It's holding up just fine even with heavy loads.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
In all of my shooting experience with rifles from 22 LR to 300 H&H I have used Weaver aluminums with no issues.

I don't understand your comment about screws - how do you judge the quality of a screw by looking at it?

drover

Weaver uses slotted screw heads. Most others have hex or torx. That may be what he's talking about.

IC B2

A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A

Sorry, I was just speculating on what all might be better quality when you buy more expensive bases vs the cheapest Weaver option. I have no idea.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have seen heavy kickers peen the slots in weaver bases .i won't use them on anything bigger than 223

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have seen heavy kickers peen the slots in weaver bases .i won't use them on anything bigger than 223

I have seen heavy kickers peen the slots on Weavers too, but it’s been with heavy scopes attached.

I use Weavers on most of my rifles, including one lightweight rifle that has plenty of recoil, but it has a 12 oz scope attached.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve generally used aluminum bases on everything including scoped shotguns as well as magnum rifles and handguns. I’ve never had any problems with them.

A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

well now i don't know what to believe...

Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I have seen heavy kickers peen the slots on Weavers too, but it’s been with heavy scopes attached.

I use Weavers on most of my rifles, including one lightweight rifle that has plenty of recoil, but it has a 12 oz scope attached.

Well the rifle in question will be a 270 and the scope will be a 13 oz Burris Fullfield, so I might be in the clear?

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Since you are so conflicted why don't you spring a few dollars more and get steel bases instead of agonizing over the aluminum bases having an issue?

If the difference between $5 and $30 is that important skip having a lunch out and you will have the difference to buy the steel bases.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Since you are so conflicted why don't you spring a few dollars more and get steel bases instead of agonizing over the aluminum bases having an issue?

If the difference between $5 and $30 is that important skip having a lunch out and you will have the difference to buy the steel bases.

drover

Just trying to learn is all. Obviously I can just buy the steel bases if I want extra warm fuzzies.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My 300 win mag has had weaver on there for years as do most of my rifles, except the Sako and Ruger rifles.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Much of the price difference comes from the material and mfging process. The standard Weaver aluminum bases are an extrusion. Other aluminum bases are true 6061 or 7061 material that is machined from bar stock. Quality steel bases are the same thing....material and machining time means a higher price for a higher quality product.

How the bases fit the receiver is another area to look at with the receiver itself being the big variable.

In a Weaver style base, the Weaver Grand Slam steel bases are a solid choice. Rings with a square crossbolt give much more contact to the base slot than a round bolt as that is effectively the recoil lugs for the mounting system. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never in my life had problems with Weaver bases. And they are my preference

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use them on 99’s, no problems

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Two “issues” with the Weavers. One is that rings with true Picatinny crossbolts may not fit. The other is that they still come with slotted screws, at least the last ones I bought did. OTOH, the groove through the top of the base means you can use iron sights if you remove your scope. Solid-top bases may block your view, as on an FN .30/06 I just put together.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've never had a problem with the weaver aluminum bases and they definitely are cheap. That being said, I use warne steel weaver bases if I need weaver bases now.

If they're made for the rifle I'm scoping I'll use Burris XTR two piece bases. They're steel and picatinny spec so they'll take picatinny rings or weaver style rings, best of both worlds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My thoughts about the screws are, what is the steel ? Are the screws cold rolled steel or are they made of a better quality steel ? The steel doesn't have to be some super expensive steel but rust and corrosion resistant would be nice. Maybe even stainless steel for those rifles that are stainless or for those folks who prefer stainless. I have yet to see a base manufacturer tell us what the steel is. Here again, how many folks have had a problem with base screws breaking or bending ? Probably the only issue is rusting in place.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Note,: I said "Weaver bases", not Weaver STYLE bases. The aluminum weaver used is quite soft and has minimal contact area. There are much better bases to be had. I don't see the point in cheaping out on a $500-$1500 scope with $7 bases. I mostly use Warne Mountain tech

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.