Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It kinda depend on a few factors
If it a big kicker it may help
The sale
A varmint rifle may help the sale
If it’s a say 270 or any standard cal. It will defiantly hurt
Also depends on how nicely the brake was installed.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A brake on a 6.5 Swede seems like a waste. If you like the rifle, it could be an opportunity to buy at a good price, cut the brake and threads off. Get the pitting repaired, action blueprinted, cerakote, put it back together with a good bedding job, and you could have a heck of a rifle that looks fairly stock but will probably shoot twice as good with a 21” barrel instead of 22”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn’t even worry about the slightly shorter barrel and the 25 fps velocity loss. From what I hear all the time you can probably load up some 199 grain .264 Berger or something and it will probably only drop about 2 feet at 1000 yards when you are out hunting 😁

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
And for what it’s worth, I went through this same dilemma when I wrecked on a snowmobile with a 5 digit featherweight classic strapped to my back. No brake, but I damaged the muzzle a little. I did these exact steps on a 280. I didn’t give a shizzzz about the resale value because I will never sell it.

Last edited by MRKbass2; 01/06/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A Muzzle Brake on a Rifle is like a Poly Choke or Cutts on a Shotgun.
It Reduces its Value { A LOT }, BUT, once in a while You may meet a Guy
that likes either one, BUT, I do not know any one who would Admit that
HE Likes Them.

Dirty Harry

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
For the life of me, I do NOT understand the need for a muzzle brake/ suppressor? Maybe knitting would be a good alternative to shooting a gun.
My neighbors prefer me shooting suppressed. It keeps them from complaining and calling the cops on me so I don’t mind it. My wife prefers me shooting suppressed, especially if she is working. My folks on the front of the place prefer me shooting suppressed, especially if they are napping. And shooting suppressed at the range is better for anyone around. It’s doesn’t always have to be about me. wink

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would like to get a suppressor.I have no use for a muzzle brake as nothing I shoot now is big enough to need one and I would like to keep what hearing I have left.I think a muzzle brake is a detriment to a rifles value.

Last edited by Huntz; 01/19/23.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Wondering how an after market muzzle brake factors into the resale price of a used rifle. Plus or minus? And how much? This is a removable brake, but it didn’t come with a thread protector for when the brake would be removed.

Specifically, a somewhat collectible rifle - a New Haven model 70 stainless classic.

Some consider it an added value if they prefer a muzzle brake on a bigger bore. But it obviously is a major alteration from original condition.

I just don’t know how much, plus or minus, to factor it in to a sale price if I sell the rifle. Is there a rule of thumb?

Cheers

It decreases the value of the rifle. Even though the classic is not as collectible as a pre 64, they are still desirable to collectors when they are in all original condition. When I see one with a brake on it, I always say what a stupid fu ck that put that on there, and generally keep walking. Those rifles are always priced lower, when I see them locally. However, sometimes you get someone that thinks they upgraded the rifle and wants more money on places like gunbroker. Even cutting the barrel and messing with the crown reduces value sometimes. Depending on the quality of work. There's one in the classifieds here that is an example of that. It's only had 1" cut off of it, but it's been cut. I asked why just 1" and the seller said something to the affect that the crown was damaged. What he didn't know was some guys would rather have a 23-24" barrel vs the 25" that he reduced it to. If you are going to cut it, cut it to suit more peoples needs and think of versatility and resale value. However, he has that rifle priced right, considering it has a nice Mcmillan on it as well. If I needed a 300WM, I'd be on that one like stink on a turd..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Originally Posted by turbine1
There is a lot more going on there than the brake. Like the two holes on on the barrel with what looks like pitting and the sight blank missing sights

It's also not described properly. They are calling it a "classic", but it is an XTR push feed. Whoever bought that rifle was not the brightest around.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,267
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.